U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2013, 06:10 AM

2 posts, read 5,363 times

Advertisements

I'm a recently divorced mother of boys aged 2 & 5. Looking to move from Philly to Rehoboth Beach for a fresh start in life. Currently i work in the mortgage industry and studying towards attaining an MBA. I need advise from those who have moved esp single mothers with young kids: How secure is the area, any good schools in the area, How family life is for a single mom? different activities to engage with young kids etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 06:37 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,765,724 times
I am not a young single mother. I have lived in the area for years and raised a son here. The 2 school districts close to the area area Cape Henlopen and Indian River. They are both great districts. Living in Rehoboth Beach itself would be a little expensive .Living CLOSE to the beach area offers a lot of options. One thing to realize when looking here the fact that the address says Rehoboth Beach,Lewes or Millsboro means it is within that zip code. Not necessarily in town getting town services or paying town taxes. It may not even be close to town. Rehoboth itself it a resort town and can get hectic during the season. Inland a little bit we learn to stay off the main highways during summer weekends. I would not move into the area with 2 kids UNTIL I had a very secure job.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:05 AM

7,786 posts, read 10,461,416 times
I am a recent transplant here, albeit a retired one. Rehoboth is a wonderful place to live. That said, as longnecker indicated it can be expensive in terms of rental or ownership. Of course, expensive is relative. I am speaking of it in terms of a home in Rehoboth vs say Milford, for example. You will get a lot more for your $$$ if you are away from the actual Rehoboth or Lewes area.

Jobs in this area are primarily in the tourism related or retail industry but there are tons of real estate agencies, which may make your occupation a bit more in demand than others but I am not in a position to state that with facts behind it.

Once again, no kids in schools but have heard wonderful things about the districts mentioned above.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:43 PM

1,767 posts, read 3,054,163 times
I was a young, single mother with a young child about twelve years ago and lived in Lewes--I LOVED it! My son and I could walk into town and get an ice cream cone, go to the park or the beach, attend one of the many events going on in the area, etc. It was very safe. I lived in a small apartment and was one of the few people not paying an arm and a leg to live in the area. There's so much to do year round and there are many clubs, sports, etc. for children. The schools in the Cape and Indian River districts are great, no worries.

The only worry would be employment, but you may find something in the mortgage industry. Real estate is picking up again in the area so it's rather optimistic. However, I work in education; therefore, my knowledge about the mortgage field is limited. Good luck!

Old 12-18-2013, 12:26 AM

2 posts, read 5,363 times
Thank you all for your responses. I'm curious to know how much a two bedroom apartment would cost. Any suggestions/leads of apartments i can look at in Rehoboth/lewes? I intend to focus on schooling for the next year so employment is not an issue at the moment.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:19 AM

7,786 posts, read 10,461,416 times
Are you renting or buying? I can send a DM if buying for an agent but sorry don't have one for rentals.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:10 AM

1,767 posts, read 3,054,163 times
Sorry, I don' have any suggestions off hand....haven't lived in that area for over twelve years and the apartment I rented is no longer. Good luck!

Old 01-10-2014, 06:59 AM

Cape Henlopen School District is purchasing land for another elementary school.The land is on Rt 24 across from Beacon Middle School. Cape chooses Route 24 parcel for new school - By Melissa Steele - CapeGazette.com - Covering Delaware's Cape Region - Inland Bays, Atlantic Ocean, Rehoboth Beach, Lewes, Milton, Dewey Beach, USA This will be great for students but really add to the traffic backup on RT 24 on school mornings.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Cape Henlopen School District is purchasing land for another elementary school.The land is on Rt 24 across from Beacon Middle School. Cape chooses Route 24 parcel for new school - By Melissa Steele - CapeGazette.com - Covering Delaware's Cape Region - Inland Bays, Atlantic Ocean, Rehoboth Beach, Lewes, Milton, Dewey Beach, USA This will be great for students but really add to the traffic backup on RT 24 on school mornings.
They will be holding a referendum on this new school on April 2nd.
Referendum on new school set April 2 - By Melissa Steele - CapeGazette.com - Covering Delaware's Cape Region - Inland Bays, Atlantic Ocean, Rehoboth Beach, Lewes, Milton, Dewey Beach, USA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or