U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2014, 06:15 PM

4 posts, read 4,640 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in the interview process for a job in Newark and was wondering if I could get some information to help with making some decisions about whether to relocate. I'm in my mid-twenties and originally from Nebraska and currently living in St Louis. I have never been to Delaware although I have visited DC and Vermont.

What would the cost difference be (I currently spend roughly $1000 a month for a nice 2 bedroom apartment including utilities)? Typical traffic differences? Culture differences? Perceived perks or disadvantages? Any other advice?

Last edited by mightreloc8; 01-09-2014 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 08:24 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,325,323 times
That is a big bite to chew. Read over all threads on this forum that look like they might be relevant to your questions. This place is nothing like either DC or Vermont, except that our weather is somewhat consistent with that of DC. I don't think you're going to find a nice two bedroom apt around Newark for as little money as you currently pay. My spouse and I have lived in northern DE for a little over 6 years and I like the State and feel there are a lot of advantages for us. However, we're a late middle aged gay couple and what's good for us isn't necessarily great for someone with different life circumstances.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:49 PM

I anticipate paying a decent amount more in rent and probably grocery costs as well. I'm just trying to gauge how much more so that I can evaluate the pay offer I get, as well as other pros and cons of leaving the midwest.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:34 PM

456 posts, read 805,434 times
I was raised in Missouri, attended school in Illinois, and later lived in Delaware from 1994ish to about 2001. Granted, a lot has probably changed in Delaware in that time, but I did manage to make many friends there, and remain in contact including visting from time to time. In fact, I enjoyed it there so much I check in on this forum to hear how things are going.

That said, I think I can provide a little comparison between St. Louis and Delaware. First, St. Louis is much larger, and offers more amenities in the immediate area. We have professional sports, larger museums and cultural atractions, more touring events (concerts, theater etc). I think with our larger population (our metro is close to 3million) we also have a larger variety of shopping and restaurants.

I-95 is a very heavily traveled road, and traffic in northern Delaware is much heavier than in St. Louis, and not just on the interstates. Delaware is located just off the midpoint between Philly and Baltimore, DC and New York, and is the recipient of all the ground transportation between the northern and southern cities mentioned (rail and vehicular). While it seems there is again limited air serivce at NCC Airport, most residents must drive to Philly for Baltimore for air service. Keep in mind Philadelphia Internatinal is about a 45 minute drive from Newark, and BWI is about an hour and 10 minutes so neither are that far.

Delaware, and specificlly areas of New Castle County and the beach areas, are more liberal than what you experience in the Midwest, including St. Louis (though we are more progressive than some would like to realize).

Wilmington while I was there did suffer from some of the same problems St. Louis city does - crime being one of them.

New Castle County also seemed to expereince a very high influx rate from other states, including PA, NJ and NY. This I imagine has been driving up the COL, which by the way while it is much lower than its neighbors, it is higher than the midwest and St. Louis.

The weather is pretty comparable - except for noreasters which can happed from time to time with torrential rain, and there is less variablility in temparature as the weather is moderated by the proximity to the coast. I was snowed in one weekend back in the early to mid 90's with about 18-20 inches of snow, but that was the only time while I was there that we saw that much. It seemed like the snow went south (Sussex CO) or around the to west then north.

There are great things about Delaware. Because there is such an influx of people, it is easy to make friends! It is very close to a lot of destinations - the mountains in PA, the beaches in DE as well as MD and NJ, DC, NYC, Philly and Baltimore ... all are within 2 hours (unless you hit peak traffic ugh). I enjoyed my time there very much, and moved back as my family got older and I wanted to be closer to them.

Good luck!

Old 01-16-2014, 06:54 PM

Thanks STLCityMike that was very helpful.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:18 PM

456 posts, read 805,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightreloc8 View Post
Thanks STLCityMike that was very helpful.

Anytime .. feel free to let pm me if you have any other questions I can answer.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:02 PM

17 posts, read 48,968 times
I grew up in St. Louis, lived there 28 yrs, lived in Delaware from '97 until Oct '13....I don't know abt rent, we owned....no major league sports but Philly and Baltimore are close, traffic is much worse than St. Louis-in the summer on Fridays traffic can be brutal on Hwy 95 if you commute on the hwy...You have beaches close by, and the Pocono mountains aren't far, people are friendly..You will like it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or