U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 08:30 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,294,023 times

Advertisements

So, I see Muskrat is back in season. The Wagon Wheel Diner in Smyrna is back to serving their special muskrat dinners, and I believe there's a church or somesuch in Felton that is offering muskrat dinners as a fundraiser. I've been into the little store in Frederica that sells dressed muskrat, racoon and beaver.

These meats don't appeal to me, but I wonder who here has eaten muskrat and what they thought of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 09:52 AM

1,767 posts, read 3,054,163 times
I haven't, and I won't be seeking it out. I've never been offered it though. However, I have eaten alligator in Florida and it's not too bad.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:18 AM

7,325 posts, read 10,754,669 times
I have - not one of my favorite dishes, though. But being with a large group of locals, chowing down on mus-rat and stewed tomatoes, and shooting the breeze can't be beat. Just one of those things, for us. And, Kitty Budd's is our place to gather. We also have it for our Delaware Day celebrations.

I wasn't good at cleaning them, though. One of my dearest friends, a Black woman, also originally from Delaware, took me out to her back yard a few years ago, and on a tree stump, tried to teach me the art. Then, we ventured inside to prepare the stewed tomatoes....much easier.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:21 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,294,023 times
Tangent: on a less exclusively DE culinary note, what do people think is the tastiest brand of scrapple? I have never had any that I found highly enough seasoned. I alwsys find it too bland.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:24 PM

7,325 posts, read 10,754,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Tangent: on a less exclusively DE culinary note, what do people think is the tastiest brand of scrapple? I have never had any that I found highly enough seasoned. I alwsys find it too bland.
Rapa - Bridgeville, DE

Old 01-11-2014, 01:49 PM

1,767 posts, read 3,054,163 times
My husband also like Rapa. Me? I won't eat scrapple....nope!

Old 01-11-2014, 01:56 PM

378 posts, read 495,733 times
I 2nd the Rapa brand scrapple. Original recipe: none of the beef or bacon-flavored ..er, flavors.
I have smelled cooked muskrat and that is why I have never eaten it. I remember a fellow I used to work with would eat muskrat daily until it went out of season an the local seafood guy sold out of it. The sight of him gnawing on a cooked muskrat head that he carried to work in his lunchbox was something I won't soon forget.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:06 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,765,724 times
Quote:
Milton Scrapple..If you want spicier there is a butcher shop on 26 headed toward Dagsboro from 113 that makes there own either mild or hot.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:59 PM

8,481 posts, read 10,426,130 times
Quote:
So, I see Muskrat is back in season. The Wagon Wheel Diner in Smyrna is back to serving their special muskrat dinners, and I believe there's a church or somesuch in Felton that is offering muskrat dinners as a fundraiser. I've been into the little store in Frederica that sells dressed muskrat, racoon and beaver.

These meats don't appeal to me, but I wonder who here has eaten muskrat and what they thought of it.
Just to let you know, Delaware is not located in the Deep South so don't be surprised if the majority of people on here have never eaten muskrat.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:45 PM

7,793 posts, read 10,461,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I have - not one of my favorite dishes, though. But being with a large group of locals, chowing down on mus-rat and stewed tomatoes, and shooting the breeze can't be beat. Just one of those things, for us. And, Kitty Budd's is our place to gather. We also have it for our Delaware Day celebrations.

I wasn't good at cleaning them, though. One of my dearest friends, a Black woman, also originally from Delaware, took me out to her back yard a few years ago, and on a tree stump, tried to teach me the art. Then, we ventured inside to prepare the stewed tomatoes....much easier.

Belly laughed when I read this part, it made me think of Granny Clampett a that tree stump!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware