U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 07:23 AM

7,750 posts, read 10,432,755 times

Advertisements

I have a basement and I am two miles from the beach. No problems thus far. You will also see walkout basements here, which we don't have a lot of on LI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 08:51 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,687,422 times
Quote:
No dream for sure. Don't get me wrong I still LOVE Long Island and what it has to offer. I will always have a special place in my heart for LI and our families are still there, as are many friends.
As it should be. The same will be for us. When the spring gets here we'll be taking a little trip around and see what's what down in Del and the surrounding area. The thing I'm absolutely not thrilled about LI now is that it's just impossible to downsize here and have something left over. This place eats everything up!...;-)...

Old 02-08-2014, 09:43 AM

730 posts, read 1,020,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
The thing I'm absolutely not thrilled about LI now is that it's just impossible to downsize here and have something left over. This place eats everything up!...;-)...
Ain't that the truth. *sigh*

You know one of the things that makes me crazy? You'll hear realtors talking about the supposed 2% property tax increase cap, blah blah blah, but they never mention that the school districts (which comprise anywhere from 60% to 70% of the total tax bill) don't have to comply with that IF the proposed school budget (with whatever increase is proposed, usually 4%, 5% or more) passes with at least a 60% majority... which they usually do. Which means that the major portion of the property tax bill is going up by that amount, in addition to whatever other taxing entities (town, county, library, MTA, etc etc etc etc) may have increased theirs as well. Yet, any increase in the STAR reductions are now capped at no more than a 2% savings year over year.

Now Gov. Cuomo's proposal of a 2% property tax "freeze" (starting in 2017 from what I read) is already being touted by the realtors but guess what? (quoting from the NY Times): "Under the proposal, the freeze would also only apply to municipalities and school districts that abided by the state-imposed cap of 2 percent growth in budget spending." Thus, any resident of a school district whose budget (with however large of an increase) passes by at least a 60% majority, won't get the benefit of the "freeze" either.

Sorry about the rant, LOL

As for downsizing, absolutely agree. Something's wrong somewhere when a 1300 sq ft house built in the 1960s, with a one-car garage and on 1/3 acre costs half a million dollars, and is lucky if the property taxes are below $10K a year.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:42 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,687,422 times
Quote:
As for downsizing, absolutely agree. Something's wrong somewhere when a 1300 sq ft house built in the 1960s, with a one-car garage and on 1/3 acre costs half a million dollars, and is lucky if the property taxes are below $10K a year.

Well you know I envy people who need to move when their lives change and still in a way stay in their own 'neighorbood' if they wish. On LI you really have no choice. But I guess that applies to most every major metro area. LI is really a fine place but what intrigues me is how it's going to be in the next 75 years. Personally, I cannot comprehend how it will handle the mix of taxes, employment and possibly new demographics. Of there's any planning I do wonder what they see.
Then I think of Delaware. It probably has its upheavals too just like the place I'll have to leave.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:44 PM

164 posts, read 284,850 times
Oh man, I actually grew up on L.I., lived in Manhattan, southern California, down south...and now spend the winters here in RB. Talk about de-stressing. I solved all of my own house maintenance issues by selling off real estate and simply paying other people's mortgages. Hope you enjoy this wonderful place and get rid of that stress

Old 02-10-2014, 05:06 PM

7,750 posts, read 10,432,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Well you know I envy people who need to move when their lives change and still in a way stay in their own 'neighorbood' if they wish. On LI you really have no choice. But I guess that applies to most every major metro area. LI is really a fine place but what intrigues me is how it's going to be in the next 75 years. Personally, I cannot comprehend how it will handle the mix of taxes, employment and possibly new demographics. Of there's any planning I do wonder what they see.
Then I think of Delaware. It probably has its upheavals too just like the place I'll have to leave.

The thing that scares me about LI is that especially in Nassau County the homes are older. Take the two homes I sold in TNH. Both were built in the early 50's. So that means the pipes and electric lines are all old. I sell you my house at a tidy profit and then you wind up with a house that has old pipes and old electric, a huge mortgage, high taxes, changing demographic as the area grays and then a nice repair bill to boot to save your investment. Now I clearly am not saying old builds were/are better just that as things age they wear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware