Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2014, 05:45 PM

7 posts, read 11,023 times

Advertisements

Thinking about moving to Delaware from NYC. Looking for a nice area to raise my kids. 4 kids under the age of 10, so a very quiet area, with great schools, low/no crimes rate, and affordable housing
( looking to rent a single house under $900 if possible) and extra activities for kids are the priorities, suburbs area would be appreciated! All your suggestions with this on mind will be very welcome. Thanks so much for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 08:21 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,183,841 times
I would advise you take the time to read the answers to very similar questions in previous threads. Having moved here from the Phila area YEARS ago and raising a son here from birth to Community College I would recommend the area covered by Indian River and Cape Henlopen School Districts.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:34 AM

201 posts, read 414,141 times
I would recommend the Appoquinimink school district -- covers Middletown south of the canal, and parts of Bear and Newark (where we live) north of the canal. We love the balance of a great school district while being closer to the amenities in northern Delaware.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:52 AM

9,716 posts, read 14,250,421 times
Not sure what is MOST important to the original poster. Is Crime #1 ?
We have crime here, like most areas. Longnecker's area (near the Town of Millsboro) according to this map, appears the safest. But there's not a place in Delaware with NO crime.
Check this link, move it around, and the key is on the right side showing what kinds of crime are prevalent in various areas.

Crime Map

Old 02-15-2014, 03:28 PM

13,366 posts, read 27,005,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Not sure what is MOST important to the original poster. Is Crime #1 ?
Is it possible to to find a house for rent at $900/month which large enough to fit 4 children? I was skeptical but did not want to sound negative.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:47 PM

9,716 posts, read 14,250,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Is it possible to to find a house for rent at $900/month which large enough to fit 4 children? I was skeptical but did not want to sound negative.
Yes. Of course, location, location, location.....

Old 02-15-2014, 03:58 PM

46 posts, read 153,920 times
Quote:
That's the first thing I thought too, at least in New Castle County. To be honest, $900 per month for at least a 3 bedroom house or apartment sounds like section 8 prices.

Hopefully cheaper rent in a desirable area can be found in Sussex or Kent, but I don't know very much about those areas.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:21 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,790,023 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia Breeze View Post
That's the first thing I thought too, at least in New Castle County. To be honest, $900 per month for at least a 3 bedroom house or apartment sounds like section 8 prices.

Hopefully cheaper rent in a desirable area can be found in Sussex or Kent, but I don't know very much about those areas.

I'm in Angola by the Bay in Lewes and the $900 price is close to what you'd be paying down here. It would be hard to find a place that cheap in the Wilmington area, really hard. My wife and kids love it here, less crime and much better schools than up north, (less Middletown) its a great place to raise kids. You can't really go wrong with either district, Indian River or Cape Henlopen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware