U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 11:52 AM

730 posts, read 1,021,855 times

Advertisements

I have a question for LI "transplants" to DE, regarding cost of living.

I've read here and elsewhere that the cost of living in many parts of DE is "high". And while it might be high compared to the national average, what I'm curious about is the how the cost of living compares to that on Long Island (which, I would bet, is also "high", LOL).

So, for those of you who have now experienced both regions (preferably within the last decade), would you say that the COL in Delaware is higher than Long Island's? about the same? or somewhat lower (even though the articles, etc, deem it "high")?

If there are certain things that stand out as being disinctly more expensive in DE than they are on LI, which are they?

As a retiree on a fixed income, I'd be most concered about the cost of:
Heating fuel (gas or oil)
Electricity
Water (because I'd definitely have public water rather than a well)
Food (fresh produce and the basics such as milk, eggs, flour, sugar)
Gasoline
Cost of car maintenance and repairs
Home maintenance/repairs
Seasonal expenses such as lawn cutting in the warm months (on LI you can't get anyone to cut a lawn of 1/3 or 1/2 acre for less than $45 plus sales tax, for example; in most places $50-$60 is the norm and that's just to cut and edge... nothing else)

On the other hand, relatively high costs of these items wouldn't matter because they're not part of my lifestyle:
Restaurants
Nightlife
Sports
Child-related expenses

Thanks for any cost comparison insights! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 05:59 PM

7,793 posts, read 10,461,416 times
I already discussed the water in an earlier post but essentially for the two of us it runs about $50 per month, which is one of the very few things that we have found more expensive by at least 1/2. Electric is dirt cheap here compared to LI. I have an entire electric home and during the summer my bills were $85 per month. This January the electric was $280 BUT that covers stove, heat, washer, dryer, water heater, etc. No oil for us here. Propane is about $3.79 but that is only for the fireplace for us so not accurate as far as heating goes.

Gasoline is $3.37/gal here now, so cheaper. Food staples seem comparable. Produce seems a little bit high for an agricultural state but there are specials and farm stands. Lawn is $25/$30 per week but depending upon where you choose to live it may not be your responsibility. Car repairs seem standard to a bit cheaper. Home repairs I would say just like NY you need to do your homework. Lastly there is NO sales tax on almost anything here. Transfer tax for buying a home and the car reregistration is priced by value of the car.

Again, those from outside of NY may/will no doubt think our electric is high but they really don't understand the COL on LI.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:04 AM

356 posts, read 737,665 times
I am still on Long Island (unfortunately)....I wanted to move a year ago but family matters have made that impossible for awhile longer. I made a bunch of trips to DE and spent a lot of time narrowing down areas and doing my research. This forum has also been a great help! Anyway....I can tell you this for sure. Next to a mortgage, the second largest bill for most people is property taxes here in NY. In De, at real homes I looked at...the property taxes were on average 80% less than here (similar home to my current home). If everything else were equal or similar in costs...I would save about $6000 a year right off the bat just based on the property taxes. Buy a new car and save about $1500 to $2500 taxes (yes I know there is a tax in DE) depending on the car. The point is, the larger items are what seem cheaper....so they add up quickly. Gas is 20 cents cheaper on average, so that can also add up quickly if you do a lot of driving. That's the way it looks to me. Good luck, since I can't move yet I'm still here learning everything I possibly can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or