Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2014, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,022 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My partner and I are considering a move to Newark, possibly some time between April and August. I grew up in DE so I have a pretty good idea of what life there is like, but I wanted to ask questions about Newark specifically.

We currently live in West Philly (which has some beautiful old architecture and a diverse populace), but big city life is getting to me and I'm hoping for something simpler and smaller.

We don't have jobs yet in DE, but I am hoping to find work at/around UD, while continuing remote/online work from home as a writer/researcher/artist. My partner is also thinking of returning to school at some point, but we are not sure when yet.

We are hoping for a place that is ethnically diverse (so we can find community with other people of color) and welcoming to LGBTQ community (ideally a progressive area where people won't gawk at us for being together, but also where we can find other LGBTQ people to hang out with). Other than that, people-wise it would be good to be around friendly people who are awake to social issues and are generally respectful/awesome/fun to be with.

My partner doesn't drive, so we are hoping to find a place that is pretty walkable, with grocery store/natural food store, park, small shops, vegan-friendly restaurant, coffee shop, and a library/bookstore nearby. We are not really partiers, so a bar/club/nightlife scene doesn't really matter to us. I will probably get a car though, for errands further out, trips to the beach, and for visiting family.

Ideally we are looking for a fun, small city/big town vibe where we can get to know our neighbors/community but also have a little bit of spontaneity, and also be relatively close to forest-y areas/trails/beautiful trees, bike paths, and other natural settings. We have no kids or pets, but that might change in the next few years. I am hoping to find either a 1br apartment with balcony for having a small, private outdoor space where we could do container gardening, or a tiny house with a yard where we can grow vegetables. A restful yet vibrant atmosphere. Right now we can afford between 700-1000 in rent/utilities, but that might change with a new job.

I've wandered the forums and looked into different places, and it seems like the area around Main Street/S. College Ave. might be a good place for us?

Here are my questions:
Does Newark sound like a good fit for us? Are there any other places you think would be better?
What is the area around Main Street like? Is it a good walkable area for a mid-20s couple like us to live calmly and safely?
Are there a lot of young adults/families near there (late 20s-early 40s) we could socialize with?
Do the college students make everything noisy?
I've heard about a Udacity bus---is it really for everyone? Does it actually run, and is it reliable?
What is Newark like in the different seasons? Does it shut down during the winter, or during the summer when many college students leave?
Do you think it would be easy for us to make friends in Newark?
About how much should we expect to pay in rent for a 1br apartment w/balcony vs a small house with yard?
What is the best way to find a new home in Newark? Community bulletin boards? Craigslist?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware