U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,087 times

Advertisements

I recently had an interview in ChristianaCare hospital, I am waiting to hear from them, but based on how things went, I am pretty optimistic. With that being said

When are you moving? Early June
Where are you coming from? Long Island, NY
Why are you moving? Work
Where will you be working? Christianacare Hospital
Have you been here yet? During my interview, I drove around the immediate area and went to the mall.

Will you buy or rent? Prefer to buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
I am looking for a house around ~150k if possible. if not, then I can do a Condo.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, no children for the near future
Do you prefer public or private schools? Private schools
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? I don't care
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm and quiet

What do you want to be closest to?
Work

I know my budget is pretty low, but we are not looking for a big house. Just a small house for 2 busy professionals that require little maintenance. Safety is very important, and ideally I don't want a commute that is longer than 45 minutes.

Schools are not really that important at this point, but I am considering appreciation and ability to sell easily as a factor (which is usually related to schools)

So, what is good neighborhoods to use as a starting point, because honestly I am pretty unfamiliar with Delaware and I am not sure where to start. (FYI, I would consider PA neighborhoods if they met our needs)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 10:22 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,291,897 times
PA is too far from Newark, so don't consider that. It isn't the absolute distance, but the motor commute that would be problematic. I think you simply need to contact a realtor at such time as you get a definite offer from the hospital.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:58 AM

356 posts, read 737,322 times
If you literally draw a 2 mile circle around the hospital, you can find something in your price range. You will find small houses on sale for roughly $180K and you will be able to get something for $150-$160. NOW, I'm not saying that every area within that range is nice, but some are....and there is really no way to know what is acceptable to you....you just need to see it for yourself. There are areas just off Rt. 4 that are not bad and in or close to your price range. If you insist on commuting, that's a different story....there are plenty of places but I'll leave that to others. But you may find there is no need to commute at all. Good luck.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:09 AM

12,054 posts, read 20,198,817 times
Take a look in the Meadowood Development in Newark, just off of Kirkwood Highway. It is a great location and convenient to everything. I have a friend who lives there who really likes it and she is very picky. She lives in Meadowood II but I did have a student in lived in Meadowood I and it was very nice. Also check out Salem Village. I use that as a shortcut and it is a nice development. Haven't seen any homes for sale there but it is well maintained.

Last edited by SXMGirl; 03-02-2014 at 08:18 AM..

Old 03-03-2014, 07:26 AM

356 posts, read 737,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Take a look in the Meadowood Development in Newark, just off of Kirkwood Highway. It is a great location and convenient to everything. I have a friend who lives there who really likes it and she is very picky. She lives in Meadowood II but I did have a student in lived in Meadowood I and it was very nice. Also check out Salem Village. I use that as a shortcut and it is a nice development. Haven't seen any homes for sale there but it is well maintained.
I agree on Meadwoood! It might be just outside of my "two mile circle" so I guess I should have expanded to 2 1/2-3 miles. I have a disabled daughter, so personally I have gotten away from that area because along Rt. 4 there are more buses and places to walk....but Meadowood and other areas just off Kirkwood are nice also for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware