U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 08:12 AM

65 posts, read 60,397 times

Advertisements

Ha, so that sounds like a middle school essay question, but it speaks for yourself. Do you live at/near the beach and if so, where? Why do you like living there or why do you hate it? Are the summers way too crowded? Are the grocery stores too expensive compared to, say, Dover prices? Is there enough to do year round? Are the people nice? If you want to do something within, say, 30-45 min away, what do you do? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 06:14 PM
Status: "Summer's here! Is it fall yet??" (set 16 days ago)

1,770 posts, read 3,066,687 times
I've lived at the beach for most of my life--past almost twelve years in the town of Ocean View, two years right in the town of Lewes before moving to Ocean View, and then most of my childhood and young adult life until age 25 in the Oak Orchard area. I did not like the Oak Orchard area--became too ghetto and it's overrun with drugs, cons, run down trailer parks, and people on welfare. That's sad because I hear it was a pretty nice place back in the day.

Lewes was great; I lived right near the high school and could bike to King's Ice Cream, the post office, the beach, and the Cape Henlopen State Park. The crime was very low, it was safe, and the people were nice. There's a small snob element present, but I didn't encounter that too often. There is PLENTY to do year-round there with all the nightlife, events, and festivals. The town itself was beyond charming and the restaurants there were very good for the most part. Yes, summers were scary, especially when the ferry let out. Route one is an absolute nightmare there even during the off-season now, and that's a big reason I moved to Ocean View--no more dealing with route one to get to basic stores and the traffic at least dies down for the off season. I was just in Lewes/Rehoboth on Saturday and people were driving all nuts, like it was summertime. I used to travel to Dover if I wanted more shopping, and the prices in all Lewes stores tend to be higher than the same stores inland.

Ocean View= my favorite place I've ever resided. Very low crime (even lower than Lewes), very decent people/element, and there aren't any snobs....not even in the very affluent Toll Brothers communities. No section eight housing or drug areas here either, a big plus. My favorite part about OV is how accommodating it is for outdoors enthusiasts such as myself. We have Indian River and Assawoman Bay to kayak, the beach for running/swimming, and multiple places for hiking such as James Farm, Holts Landing State Park, Delaware Seashore State Park, and miles and miles of trails at the Assawoman Wildlife Refuge. There is also a small woods owned by Bethany Bay which has some good trails and two nice ponds. It's ideal for bicycling too although that can be hairy during the summer. However, things are improving as far as safety with the route 26 widening (bike lanes), new sidewalks in town, and the nice bike path that connects Fred Hudson Road almost all the way to route one.

OV gets a little dead during the off-season, but Ocean City is right down the highway and of course Rehoboth is nearby. Everything tends to be more expensive here--groceries, restaurants, home repair businesses--but hey, to me that beats living inland. We are overloaded with grocery stores, drug stores, liquor stores, and small restaurants here so we often don't have to leave town unless we want big box stores. We travel to Rehoboth, Ocean City, or as far as Salisbury for those.

My biggest complaint about beach living is that we don't get enough big name rock or metal bands here even though we have the population to support them. Sevendust came to Dewey last summer but bailed at the last minute...we were very disappointed. There are lots of fun music festivals and local bands though. My other complaint is summer TRAFFIC and just the noise and chaos I experience here from Easter through Labor Day. It probably affects me more than others because I love peace and quiet. The route 26 summer traffic and idiotic/aggressive drivers can be a beast though and route one really takes the cake with that. Another gripe is summer visitors with attitudes and rudeness--really see this in Bethany. Oh, and fireworks...they've been illegal in DE for as long as I've been here (almost 40 years) and I'd like to stick the next firework I see right where the sun doesn't shine on whoever lights it.

Overall, other than the complaints above I DO love it here. I just do not like summers here and would prefer to be somewhere more calm from May-September, and we are working on that. The quality of life in both Lewes and OV is above average and I wouldn't live anywhere else in DE even if you gave me a free home.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:59 AM

17 posts, read 31,444 times
SittinInATree - I'm glad I came across your posting. I am contemplating a move to the Lewes, DE, area and wanted to ask the same questions to help with my decision. I've never lived at or near a beach, so the lifestyle would be a huge adjustment for me.

Beachliz - your post is very, very helpful! Thank you for the information!

Old 03-12-2014, 03:34 PM

You're very welcome, chippewa88

Old 03-18-2014, 06:41 PM

7,862 posts, read 10,540,715 times
We are beach lovers and relo'ed from Long Island to Rehoboth Beach. We love it. That said, we are not phased at all by the traffic which is what we knew our entire life and at least here there is a break in it from September to May!!! Many folks hate the traffic and are turned off by it, however. We are two miles to the beach. We get the State Park Pass for $27.50 and use any number of state parks for the beach if we don't want to go to Rehoboth Beach. Cape Henlopen park is beautiful as is the Delaware Seashore and Indian River to name just a few of the fabulous beaches here. http://www.destateparks.com/ Here is the link for the parks

You learn how to shop, i.e. sales, and which stores have the best prices for your particular items. There are several farm stands locally too that offer good prices in season. I learned about the farm stands from LONGNECKER, who posts here quite often.

Off season, you can get around easily in that time frame, but in season you need to allow extra time to the beach area and away from it especially on Sundays but again that depends upon where you are coming/going.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:39 AM

287 posts, read 475,344 times
Default Great Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
I've lived at the beach for most of my life--past almost twelve years in the town of Ocean View, two years right in the town of Lewes before moving to Ocean View, and then most of my childhood and young adult life until age 25 in the Oak Orchard area. I did not like the Oak Orchard area--became too ghetto and it's overrun with drugs, cons, run down trailer parks, and people on welfare. That's sad because I hear it was a pretty nice place back in the day.

Lewes was great; I lived right near the high school and could bike to King's Ice Cream, the post office, the beach, and the Cape Henlopen State Park. The crime was very low, it was safe, and the people were nice. There's a small snob element present, but I didn't encounter that too often. There is PLENTY to do year-round there with all the nightlife, events, and festivals. The town itself was beyond charming and the restaurants there were very good for the most part. Yes, summers were scary, especially when the ferry let out. Route one is an absolute nightmare there even during the off-season now, and that's a big reason I moved to Ocean View--no more dealing with route one to get to basic stores and the traffic at least dies down for the off season. I was just in Lewes/Rehoboth on Saturday and people were driving all nuts, like it was summertime. I used to travel to Dover if I wanted more shopping, and the prices in all Lewes stores tend to be higher than the same stores inland.

Ocean View= my favorite place I've ever resided. Very low crime (even lower than Lewes), very decent people/element, and there aren't any snobs....not even in the very affluent Toll Brothers communities. No section eight housing or drug areas here either, a big plus. My favorite part about OV is how accommodating it is for outdoors enthusiasts such as myself. We have Indian River and Assawoman Bay to kayak, the beach for running/swimming, and multiple places for hiking such as James Farm, Holts Landing State Park, Delaware Seashore State Park, and miles and miles of trails at the Assawoman Wildlife Refuge. There is also a small woods owned by Bethany Bay which has some good trails and two nice ponds. It's ideal for bicycling too although that can be hairy during the summer. However, things are improving as far as safety with the route 26 widening (bike lanes), new sidewalks in town, and the nice bike path that connects Fred Hudson Road almost all the way to route one.

OV gets a little dead during the off-season, but Ocean City is right down the highway and of course Rehoboth is nearby. Everything tends to be more expensive here--groceries, restaurants, home repair businesses--but hey, to me that beats living inland. We are overloaded with grocery stores, drug stores, liquor stores, and small restaurants here so we often don't have to leave town unless we want big box stores. We travel to Rehoboth, Ocean City, or as far as Salisbury for those.

My biggest complaint about beach living is that we don't get enough big name rock or metal bands here even though we have the population to support them. Sevendust came to Dewey last summer but bailed at the last minute...we were very disappointed. There are lots of fun music festivals and local bands though. My other complaint is summer TRAFFIC and just the noise and chaos I experience here from Easter through Labor Day. It probably affects me more than others because I love peace and quiet. The route 26 summer traffic and idiotic/aggressive drivers can be a beast though and route one really takes the cake with that. Another gripe is summer visitors with attitudes and rudeness--really see this in Bethany. Oh, and fireworks...they've been illegal in DE for as long as I've been here (almost 40 years) and I'd like to stick the next firework I see right where the sun doesn't shine on whoever lights it.

Overall, other than the complaints above I DO love it here. I just do not like summers here and would prefer to be somewhere more calm from May-September, and we are working on that. The quality of life in both Lewes and OV is above average and I wouldn't live anywhere else in DE even if you gave me a free home.
WOW!Beachliz I loved your post,you covered just about everything.You answered a lot of questions thats been on my mind for some time.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:15 PM

44 posts, read 76,676 times
My wife and I are considering moving to the Cedar Neck road area of Ocean View. We were just visiting Bethany beach and started exploring the area.. Really liked the area around Cedar neck and Salt Pond. She likes the beach, I like boats and fishing, so it seems the location is ideal. Does anybody have any pointers on specific neighborhoods off Cedar Neck road? We are in our mid 30s with a young child. Are the Indian River school district schools rated high for the state?

Old 07-03-2014, 10:49 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,786,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardworkpaysoff View Post
We are in our mid 30s with a young child. Are the Indian River school district schools rated high for the state?
Yes Indian River School District is highly rated.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:05 AM

I love Cedar Neck Road--one of the best areas in OV (although there are no "bad" areas). Salt Pond is an excellent place to live. There is also a development off Cedar Neck Road on the road leading to Delaware Seashore State Park--Fresh Pond (I call it not-so-fresh pond because the water is actually brackish) that backs up to the park called Bethany Preserve. We once considered buying in there...nice homes, but there are only a couple lots left which were discounted. Cedar Landing is another really nice development (has a boat dock). Murrays Haven is an older community, but it's a great place to live as well. All of the developments along Cedar Neck are very ideal. If you are into biking, jogging, or hiking, then take advantage of living near Delaware Seashore State Park; it has over five miles of excellent trails. I go there every week for a long jogging excursion. There's also James Farm--nice place to hike (but not for jogging or biking).

No worries about Indian River School District--it's one of the best out there. Your child would attend Lord Baltimore, which is the best elementary school in the district (and one of the best in the state!). My son went there.....that school is top notch. No complaints here.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:25 AM

44 posts, read 76,676 times
First I must say a big THANK YOU to the folks who are sharing all this great information. Having highly helpful LOCALS like yourselves who take the time to share area information are the reason this forum is such a great place for people like us doing our research on places to relocate to, so again, a big thank you!!!

Being from the northern NJ area (located 45 minutes outside NYC) it's just getting to the point that home prices and property taxes are hard to justify anymore, especially being that my wife is now a stay at home mom and I run my own internet business which I can do from almost anywhere. We are a professional couple in our mid 30's, have a young child and looking to have another child or two in the next 2-5 years. What's most important to us is the quality of life for our children and their education.

We visited for the first time Bethany Beach last month and really loved the beach and surrounding area. I also love to fish and my wife loves to be on the beach, we've both always dreamed of living by the ocean and I always wanted a fishing boat with bay/ocean access. We both love taking walks along the beach/bay/nature trails, etc. We would love a nice community/area to walk with our baby (pushing a stroller right now) but later riding bikes.. something that has both a mix of walking near the water (bay or ocean) and also some nature trails. I went down again recently for a couple days to meet with a realtor and I drove A LOT around the areas of South Bethany,Frankford,Millville,Ocean View, Dagsboro, Millsboro. We really prefer being closer to the bay/beach and places like Millsboro,Frankford were just a bit too out there for us. Yes there are some local homes with large property but we currently are living in a rural area up north so we would prefer something with a little bit more convenience but still not very urban or city like. It seems that Ocean View meets most of this feeling... any other areas I'm very open to suggestions?

We are undecided whether we want to buy a second home to use say once a month or so throughout the year for a week at a time or whether we may want something more as a permanent residence. So the tossup between a condo/townhouse/single family home is undecided yet, although we are leaning more towards a single family home. If we decide as a second home and we only get down there once a month or maybe even less in the winter month, we are afraid a single family home might be too much maintenance living 4 hours away?
There are simply SO MANY developments down there that trying to narrow it down to a handful seems like a daunting task given we are not local.

Some things we would like in a development..
- 3 beds,2 baths, 2k - 2,500 square foot is plenty
- price range is 400k and below
- safe neighborhood with nice neighbors and family friendly
- a community pool (don't care much about tennis)
- low(er) HAO fees and a less restrictive HAO
- a pet-friendly neighborhood (we have a 50lb dog and 1 cat)
- a garage
- ability to keep a boat in your driveway (as I would most likely trailer my boat to/from a boat launch)
- it would be nice to have boat access to Indian River Bay within the community, boat would be roughly 23foot so water must be deep enough to launch and get out to the Inlet to the ocean relatively quickly and easily
- ability to rent our place in the future if we decide the area is not for us or if we wish to purchase a larger home nearby (seems there is SOOO much for sale down there right now)

From driving around it seems like staying on either side of Whites Creek may be the best option. Of course the eastern side of Whites Creek will give closer beach access and should allow us to avoid rt. 26 traffic (by taking Road 360 north of Salt Pond)

We have been looking at these developments, so any comments are greatly appreciated!

(eastern side of Whites Creek)
- Cedar Landing
- Fresh Pond
- Bayside at Bethany Lakes
- I'm sure there are some others I'm missing

(western side of Whites Creek)
- don't really know the names of them but I think there is a small marina in one of them and then going north all the way to Bethany Bay community.. that whole area seems to have a bunch of communities.

Some other areas that seemed nice but will probably put us too far inland away from the beaches (for my wife's sake) is Bay Colony and parts of Long Neck.

So given my very LIMITED time and knowledge down there, right now it seems like the Cedar Neck Road area might be best HOWEVER I am very open to other developments, as you folks are the locals and know way better than we what the story is in different communities.

One of the things we would LOVE to do is to rent a place down there for both 1 week this summer and again for a few months off season (say Oct - December). We think that will give us enough time actually living here to get a great feel for the area and particular neighborhoods, then we would know 1.) do we want to buy a full time house or just a second home and 2.) what particular neighborhood(s) would be best for us.

If anybody knows anybody who is around the Cedar Neck Road area and willing to rent we would be very interested in talking further. My wife and I are both young professionals, we have a baby, and are very clean people and both meticulous about keeping the things we use in perfect condition (for instance whenever we go away the first thing my wife does is clean an already cleaned condo/home,hotel room, etc. haha) So we understand a lot of people don't want to rent their places because you never know what sort of tenants will be there, in our situation it's different, we are looking to rent only because we are looking to live in the area, hence where ever we stay will be treated like our own.
We are finding that realestate companies don't often have the inside knowledge of particular communities and they only have access to publicly listed rentals. We figure asking the locals may be the best way to find a nice rental, maybe somebody who doesn't use their home much and would consider helping us out?

Thank you so much everybody!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or