Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 05:16 PM

13,036 posts, read 17,946,799 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the advice Mary and Chick but I am done with the curtain thing now. I wound up having curtains made for the living room, dining room and bedroom. I was so tired of making the trip to Dover with what I thought were fine in the store ( I too have a sample bag with every wall paint chip, flooring sample etc.) but I would get the panels home and they were just "off" for one reason or another. My car could go to Dover without me!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 05:29 PM

9,690 posts, read 14,169,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
Don't worry...eventually, there will be a store at the beach for every need. The population is increasing and it won't stop anytime soon. Population growth= more stores.
So true. The beach area, and all of Delaware will get bigger and bigger, with more and more traffic, more stores and restaurants for every need or want and More People!. Then we'll all be looking for a place to move!

Funny thing about this, there are some transplants who moved to Delaware to get away from the rat race of their home state.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:00 PM

I am amazed by the number of vacant stores on Rehoboth Avenue. They knocked 1st. Street station down to build all street level stores and there are a bunch of empty ones just across the road on the opposite side of Rehoboth Avenue. Time will tell if they rent before the old stores.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:53 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,773,950 times
I've been here two years exactly and since we are finally getting a Petco in Lewes/ Rehoboth the only other thing I would love would be a sporting goods store, like a Dicks. I still go to Dover or Salisbury for certain baseball or football needs for my kids.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:01 AM

I don't know if this is rumor or fact, but I heard that both Dicks and Kohls looked at the property next to Tomato Sunshine in front of Epworth Church on Rt. 1 and decided against it unless a traffic signal would be installed. State DOT would not commit.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:01 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,202,698 times
There is a fine line between musings "Wouldn't it be nice if there was a Target nearby" and complaints such as "Since living here, I've been stunned that there is NO place to buy nice furnishings." Small towns (like those at the Delaware shore) don't have the same amenities as those in urban areas, so yes, you will need to drive to Dover or Salisbury for a wider selection. That comes with living there. If folks are surprised by this, it tells me they didn't do their homework prior to moving.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:35 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,155,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
I've been here two years exactly and since we are finally getting a Petco in Lewes/ Rehoboth the only other thing I would love would be a sporting goods store, like a Dicks. I still go to Dover or Salisbury for certain baseball or football needs for my kids.
I never had to leave the area for sports goods for my son. There is/was a store right by Staples the had anything he needed for football and lacrosse.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:48 AM

9,690 posts, read 14,169,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
There is a fine line between musings "Wouldn't it be nice if there was a Target nearby" and complaints such as "Since living here, I've been stunned that there is NO place to buy nice furnishings." Small towns (like those at the Delaware shore) don't have the same amenities as those in urban areas, so yes, you will need to drive to Dover or Salisbury for a wider selection. That comes with living there. If folks are surprised by this, it tells me they didn't do their homework prior to moving.
jm ..... my thoughts exactly, and I'm speaking in generalities here.

If people were attracted to Delaware for what it IS, an agricultural state, with few big box stores, scarcity of high-end stores and being only 96 miles long.....why wish for this, and this, and this, to make it similar to where they moved from?

Old 03-13-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Please be fair with my comment. I NEVER stated that. I was and still am stunned that there is not a store that sells curtains in the area. Just my opinion, but I do not consider curtains a specialty item and therefore, it was not something I was particularly focused on when I bought my house. I came here from Long Island, a very middle class area and had several places to buy curtains that were ready made and reasonably priced. If you reread my posts you will see that I made several trips to Dover before I decided to have curtains made.

When we bought, we were not at all deterred by the lack of highways, or a commercial airport, or malls, for those things we felt were conveniences we could easily live without. We were not deterred by the traffic everyone warned us about because that is what we came from year round not just in the summer.

I am sorry that you feel I didn't do my homework because I was surprised by the lack of a curtain store, however, I can assure you that we did a great job and that is why we are so happy here.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:55 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,202,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Please be fair with my comment. I NEVER stated that. I was and still am stunned that there is not a store that sells curtains in the area. Just my opinion, but I do not consider curtains a specialty item and therefore, it was not something I was particularly focused on when I bought my house. I came here from Long Island, a very middle class area and had several places to buy curtains that were ready made and reasonably priced. If you reread my posts you will see that I made several trips to Dover before I decided to have curtains made.

When we bought, we were not at all deterred by the lack of highways, or a commercial airport, or malls, for those things we felt were conveniences we could easily live without. We were not deterred by the traffic everyone warned us about because that is what we came from year round not just in the summer.

I am sorry that you feel I didn't do my homework because I was surprised by the lack of a curtain store, however, I can assure you that we did a great job and that is why we are so happy here.
I wasn't necessarily targeting my comments at you and you've acknowledged that you might have presented it differently. I was simply pointing out the fine line folks sometimes trek here. If I recall, most of the posts you make are very positive while being balanced and realistic. I am glad you are happy in Delaware, and particularly intrigued to learn the summer traffic doesn't bother you (maybe I need some of the pills you're on ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware