Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 12:05 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I wasn't necessarily targeting my comments at you and you've acknowledged that you might have presented it differently. I was simply pointing out the fine line folks sometimes trek here. If I recall, most of the posts you make are very positive while being balanced and realistic. I am glad you are happy in Delaware, and particularly intrigued to learn the summer traffic doesn't bother you (maybe I need some of the pills you're on ).

No Pills necessary. The acronym LIE on Long Island stands for the Long Island Expressway which has been the subject of jokes such as "why is the LIE called an expressway, when it should have been called a Stand still way". Here is an example of our traffic that I lived my entire life with,

I was 15 miles to the beach, and 3/4 of a mile on a road like 24 to get to the parkway that took me to the beach. If I left by 7:30 am I could get into the beach in 20 minutes door to door. If I moved that back a half hour my time became an hour and only increased from there.

The evening rush hour starts by 3:30 - 4:00 and is not over without an accident or delay until after 7:30 and that is a good night. I did what is known as the reverse commute meaning I was going in the opposite direction of the majority of the traffic. I went East in the a.m. and West in the p.m.. My office was just under 13 miles from my home and I travelled on the LIE, I had to allow 35 minutes in the a.m and 45 in the p.m to get there and back provided no events like breakdowns or accidents. Most nights I did it in about 40 minutes.

There was always traffic to one degree or another there. Here, once you know the summer traffic pattern, you can adjust. Yes, it is true if you had to go North on a Sunday night from the beach you would be in traffic and there is no avoiding it.

I guess I will trade you a curtain store for the traffic!!!!

On the subject of curtains, here is a place that was 5 minutes from my home in a dinky little storefront that was much, much, smaller than most of the stores in the outlet. They would be welcome here by me.
Discount Curtains | Drapes | Window Treatments | Marburn Curtains
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 12:24 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I don't know if this is rumor or fact, but I heard that both Dicks and Kohls looked at the property next to Tomato Sunshine in front of Epworth Church on Rt. 1 and decided against it unless a traffic signal would be installed. State DOT would not commit.
That would be nice.

Quote:
There is a fine line between musings "Wouldn't it be nice if there was a Target nearby" and complaints such as "Since living here, I've been stunned that there is NO place to buy nice furnishings." Small towns (like those at the Delaware shore) don't have the same amenities as those in urban areas, so yes, you will need to drive to Dover or Salisbury for a wider selection. That comes with living there. If folks are surprised by this, it tells me they didn't do their homework prior to moving.
Whether a sporting good store was here or not it wouldn't have changed my decision on moving down here, yes it would be nice but its not really a big deal.

As for dogs, this area is crazy, they're Veterinarians all over the place, much more than where I'm from, it also helps that Dewey is such a pet friendly town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
I never had to leave the area for sports goods for my son. There is/was a store right by Staples the had anything he needed for football and lacrosse.
That one isn't around anymore, but in that shopping center is where Petco is going. World Cup is still behind the Wawa it just doesn't have much of a selection.

Again, I'm not really complaining but when you do have a Staples, Marshall's, Game Stop, tons of a grocery stores, Walmart, Kmart, Chain restaurants, a Petco/Petsmart plus a Dicks isn't out of the question, as Longnecker would attest to, Football, Lacrosse, and Baseball are huge down here, so is hunting and fishing, much more than up north.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:29 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:

No Pills necessary.
But I want a pill - lol

Quote:
The acronym LIE on Long Island stands for the Long Island Expressway which has been the subject of jokes such as "why is the LIE called an expressway, when it should have been called a Stand still way".
Yes, it all depends on one's perspective. Again - always glad to hear things are working out for people as they hoped. Enjoy! With spring coming the beach will be a very nice place to be.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:39 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,060 times
Quote:
But I want a pill - lol

Yes, it all depends on one's perspective. Again - always glad to hear things are working out for people as they hoped. Enjoy! With spring coming the beach will be a very nice place to be.
We love it here, the biggest surprise for us has been the schools, Longnecker and Beachliz told me they were good, but we (wife and I) had no idea they were this good. I still can't believe that our oldest son was a year behind when we got here, he was in all honors classes in the Brandywine School District. The reasoning bothers me but it is what it is.

I can't wait for Spring and heading to the drive ons in April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware