Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 09:38 PM

59 posts, read 115,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanggz View Post
My husband (43) and I (34) will relocate to DE in June from NY. We have a 10 month old boy. We did some house hunting mid- March. Looking at 800k to 1.2m houses in Greenville and Westover hill. None of the houses we saw meet our needs, 3500sqft, high-quality single family house. Is our budge too low?

We plan to send our son to Tower Hill nursery school starting 3 yr old. Does anyone know a good day care near Greenville? We will be happy to make some new friends in DE,too.
I still say look a few miles to the north in Chadds Ford PA. As great as the schools are in the district, I do know a few families that chose to send they kids to private schools, such as Tower Hill.

Check out The Estates at Chadds Ford. They are 5-7yr old Toll Brothers homes that are from 799-1mil. Really nice homes, most on almost 1/2 acer of land, lots of kids, great family atmosphere and convenient to everything. There are several homes for sale now in that community. They are generally from 4400-6000sq/ft.

I've checked out all the homes in this development and this one is my favorite. Awesome upgrades, incredible kitchen and a pretty flat lot.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-08-2014 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: Mod cut - it's against the TOS to post single home listings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 06:59 AM

79 posts, read 118,724 times
Thank you for the quick response. My husband will work near Westover Hill, and I will work in Newark. PA is a bitter further alway for us to commute and we are mainly looking at Greenville. We have been to Toll Brother's Greenville Overlook development. We are disappointed by the Quality of material used and design. We have small family and we do not need a huge house. We custom-built our NY home of 3,400 sqft. Our current home have a full Viking kitchen with wine and beer fridges, master bath with stand alone cast iron tub, steam shower. None of the 800k to 1.2m houses we have seen so far meet the same standard. They might be larger, but most go them are out dated or not as quality built. We are now considering to hire a custom builder.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:01 PM

PA is too far away from where I work. But, we found one house in Greenville meets our criteria. Small, only 3 bedrooms, well designed, high quality with a big yard, and great location.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wg4dd View Post
When are you moving? [FONT=Verdana]June[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Where are you coming from? [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]CA[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Why are you moving? [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Job relocation[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Where will you be working? [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Wilmington[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Have you been here yet? [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]No[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Will you buy or rent? [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Buy[/FONT][FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Single family house; 500-700K[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Are you married or single? Do you have children? [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Married; 1 child entering K this fall[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Do you prefer public or private schools? [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Open to either option[/FONT][FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Do you have pets? [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]No[/FONT][FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Do you want or need a yard? [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Yes[/FONT][FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Are you keeping a car? [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Yes[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Calm and quite[/FONT][FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]What do you want to be closest to?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Work [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Yes[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Shopping [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Yes[/FONT][FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Yes[/FONT][FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Nightlife [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]No[/FONT][FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Train or subway stations [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]A plus[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT][FONT=Helv][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Hi, we are a Californian couple with a little girl who is entering kindergarten this fall. My husband recently accepted a job offer in Wilmington (19880). I hope to focus 1-2 areas before we fly over for a house hunting trip in several weeks. We have never been to DE except for my husband’s one day interview trip. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Following considerations are listed in the order of importance to us, neighborhood safety, easy commute to work, closeness to a good elementary school and convenience to shopping and services. We are Chinese immigrants and prefer to be in a community with higher percentage of Asian population though it is not a must. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]I have been researching on this forum and have since learned a great deal about DE. We are very excited about our upcoming big move. Now I have narrowed down to three areas of which I have some questions for each. I would greatly appreciate your inputs.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Greenville[/FONT][FONT=Verdana]: How diversified is this town? Will my little one's ethnic background be picked on in the school? It seems that the private school is the only option, which schools are most Greenville residents send their kids to? What is ballpark range for the tuition/fees?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Is anyone familiar with Toll Brother's new development there called Greenville Overlook?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Hockessin: It seems not far from Wilmington, how is the traffic during rush hour? Any comments on its two elementary schools: North Sar and Brandywine Springs? Is one better than the other? I also saw someone mentioned that the city smells bad from the mushroom farms in the summer. How severe is this problem? [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]PA cities near DE border such as Garnet Valley and Glen Mill: Again, how is the commute to Wilmington during rush hour? Many people mentioned the higher taxes in PA, usually how much is the difference between PA and DE NCC on a $ 600 - 700K house? [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
Last but not least, I myself work in biotech/biopharma industry and hope to eventually start working again. Which above area is more commutable to a cluster of biotech companies?
Good luck with your move. I'd like to give you three pieces of advice:

1) Do your due diligence about Greenville Overlook, especially if you have a young child. [url]http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/dwhs/SIRB/Documents/Lancaster_Road-Hercules_Pike_SFJ11017.pdf[/url]

2) Greenville, DE is a beautiful area. In fact, Montchanin Road is a National Scenic Byway that is recognized by the United States Department of Transportation. You can find a house in your price range south of Buck Road off Montchanin Road.

3) Take a look at Wilmington Friends School. The Quaker philosophy is based on social understanding, tolerance, and respect for others. Prejudice would not be tolerated in that school.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:27 PM

InfoPlease40, thank you so much for the advice. When we first visited Greenville Overlook, I noticed the DuPont Experimental Station. But, the realtor told us that it was just for R&D use only. I was not convinced. After reading the history this land, I would definitely cross this location off our list.

We will look into the houses south of buck rd. Off montchanin rd.

You are the second person recommends Friend. Will check them out.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:39 PM

I saw the house on Buck Rd. It is a DuPont estate. Way too large a house for us, a family of three. It is located in a very nice location, though. We are looking for a relatively small (3,000 sqft), updated house in either Greenville or Westover Hill.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-08-2014 at 04:45 PM..

Old 06-05-2014, 03:50 PM

8 posts, read 24,698 times
Hi, this is the OP again. Just want to update everyone who kindly and patiently answered my questions a couple of months ago.

We ended up buying a house in the greenville area, with a price way above our initial budget of course. Our little girl got accepted by both Tatnall and Friends, we like both schools and debated back and forth for a long time. But in the end we chose Tatnall for its closeness to home. We didn't check out Tower Hill after talking to a friend whose daughter attending there.

Our CA house is under contract already and we will move to Delaware in July. Any recommendation for pediatrician, pediatric and general dentist and family doctors are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again new neighbors!

Last edited by wg4dd; 06-05-2014 at 04:00 PM..

Old 06-07-2014, 06:06 AM

wg4dd, congratulations on the house purchase and school acceptance! My local coworker refer me to Dr. John Gould at Brandywine Pediatrics for my 12 months old son. I looked him up online. He has excellent credentials and also the right age. Our first appointment will be on June 19 with him. Will keep you posted on how it goes.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:43 AM

What your friend said about Tower Hill made you decide not to apply?

Old 07-30-2014, 02:40 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,751,947 times
Turn around and go back. We are leaving DE for CA as soon as possible.

Kidding of course. Good luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware