Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 08:05 PM

8 posts, read 24,783 times

Advertisements

When are you moving? June
Where are you coming from? CA
Why are you moving? Job relocation
Where will you be working? Wilmington
Have you been here yet? No

Will you buy or rent? Buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? Single family house; 500-700K

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married; 1 child entering K this fall
Do you prefer public or private schools? Open to either option
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? Yes
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm and quite

What do you want to be closest to?
Work Yes
Shopping Yes
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) Yes
Nightlife No
Train or subway stations A plus

Hi, we are a Californian couple with a little girl who is entering kindergarten this fall. My husband recently accepted a job offer in Wilmington (19880). I hope to focus 1-2 areas before we fly over for a house hunting trip in several weeks. We have never been to DE except for my husband’s one day interview trip.

Following considerations are listed in the order of importance to us, neighborhood safety, easy commute to work, closeness to a good elementary school and convenience to shopping and services. We are Chinese and prefer to be in a community with higher percentage of Asian population though it is not a must.

I have been researching on this forum and have since learned a great deal about DE. We are very excited about our upcoming big move. Now I have narrowed down to three areas of which I have some questions for each. I would greatly appreciate your inputs.

Greenville: How diversified is this town? Will my little one's ethnic background be picked on in the school? It seems that the private school is the only option, which schools are most Greenville residents send their kids to? What is ballpark range for the tuition/fees?

Is anyone familiar with Toll Brother's new development there called Greenville Overlook?

Hockessin: It seems not far from Wilmington, how is the traffic during rush hour? Any comments on its two elementary schools: North Sar and Brandywine Springs? Is one better than the other? I also saw someone mentioned that the city smells awful from the mushroom farms in the summer. How severe is this problem?

PA cities near DE border such as Garnet Valley and Glen Mill: Again, how is the commute to Wilmington during rush hour? Many people mentioned the higher taxes in PA, usually how much is the difference between PA and DE NCC on a $ 600 - 700K house?

Last but not least, I myself work in biotech/biopharma industry and hope to eventually start working again. Which of the above area is more commutable to a cluster of biotech companies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 12:52 PM

82 posts, read 160,004 times
Most people who live in Greeville do send their kids to private schools. Tower Hill, Wilmington Friends, Tattnall are the big ones. Tuition in the 20-28k range. There are some less expensive private options, such as the independence school. There is not a ton of diversity in these schools, but there will be some.

Public schools in New Castle county are not great... Just across the PA border the schools are excellent. Chadds Ford Unionville is probably the best (one of the best schools in the Philly Metro) but Garnett Valley and Rustin in West Chester are also quite good. Unionville will be the least diverse (very WASPy) and West Chester would most likely be the most diverse (although it will still be fairly homogeneous).

Taxes are obviosuly higher in PA. In DE, I think the taxes on a 700k house would be in 4-5k range, while in PA you can certainly double that (it not into the 11-13 range). But again, you are getting excellent schools.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:07 PM

59 posts, read 115,959 times
Best to go a few miles north of Wilmington to Chadds Ford. Best schools around, no mushroom smell, close to fantastic shopping and maybe 15 minutes to Wilmington. Most of the people who work in Wilmington and northern DE prefer PA due to the schools, etc.

There is a beautiful Toll Brothers community in Chadds Ford with a great Asian presence, The Estates at Chadds Ford. There are several home for sale there now and the community is about 5-7 years old at most. I know several families there who absolutely love the community and schools. Many do work in pharma and either commute 25 minutes to the Chesterbrook, PA area or about 5 minutes to the Astra-Zenica complex.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:14 PM

8 posts, read 24,783 times
je3971 and Guitarguy73, thank you for your answers.

I am a newcomer to this forum and accidentally duplicated my original post. I asked the moderator to help me delete one of the threads but without success.

Anyway, many people have kindly answered my questions in the other thread. So please stop reply to this one.

thanks!

Old 03-26-2014, 07:33 PM

14 posts, read 41,905 times
Been in Delaware since December, 2013. Searched high and low for a decent house to buy. Our requirements are pretty high and couldn't find anything to meet our wants and needs. Shopped the price range from $280,000 to $400,000, nothing decent. Most older than 5 year and priced sky high. One great place in Timber Mills, new spec house, but with a septic system, with a five year warranty. Ended up buying new construction in Bayberry in Middletown. Been here three times before we made up our minds. Our only choice, due to the slim pickings here in the Middletown, Smyrna area. Don't understand people putting homes on the market and not wanting to do any repairs to make a sale. I came to the conclusion that most of our close deals are either underwater or didn't have the money to make the repairs.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:23 PM

5 posts, read 7,165 times
What is your definition of heavy traffic?

The Concord Pike/Rt. 202 shopping strip can be congested.

Rt. 95 and 495 are like your typical interstates when it comes to being around a city.

I agree with most people's recommendations about living over the state line because of the schools, unless you can afford the private school tuition. You have to weigh out taxes and our own situation. I have lived globally. Wilmington is multi-cultural because of the major businesses headquartered or branches here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware