U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 03:49 PM

40 posts, read 194,829 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if you can find a home in a nice family oriented neighborhood anywhere in DE for around $125K?

We currently have our house on the market and my husband would like to move to either Roanoke, VA or anywhere in DE where he could find a good job. He says he has always liked DE.

We are looking in the 125K range as we would like to pay cash. We aren't afraid to do some work on a property. I know nothing about DE, so any information anyone could give me about housing, neighborhoods, safety, jobs, would be appreciated. Safety is our biggest concern. I don't want to live too far away from the more populated areas as I don't want to have to drive far to get to stores etc.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 04:24 PM

3 posts, read 18,068 times
Not in New Castle County.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:15 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,564,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapgirl View Post
Hello,

Can anyone tell me if you can find a home in a nice family oriented neighborhood anywhere in DE for around $125K?

We currently have our house on the market and my husband would like to move to either Roanoke, VA or anywhere in DE where he could find a good job. He says he has always liked DE.

We are looking in the 125K range as we would like to pay cash. We aren't afraid to do some work on a property. I know nothing about DE, so any information anyone could give me about housing, neighborhoods, safety, jobs, would be appreciated. Safety is our biggest concern. I don't want to live too far away from the more populated areas as I don't want to have to drive far to get to stores etc.

Thanks in advance!
What type of home are you looking for? You may be able to get a nice manufactured home in a mobile home community for that price, it would be a beaut.
You could pull up a list of mobile home parks in DE and check them out.
We are in Kent county south of Dover. Lots of stores in the area. Not sure about the job market.
Have you tried the Dover post or state news for homes for sale? Also, you could call a realtor. I understand it wouldn't cost you anything.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:04 AM

7,362 posts, read 10,801,819 times
Soapgirl........Yes
Between $90,000 and $125,000.....There are doublewide manufactured homes on the market in Persimmon Park Place (own land), and Wild Meadows (leased land). There are also townhouses and single family detached houses on the market, all under $125,000.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:32 PM

40 posts, read 194,829 times
Thanks elizamary & Delly,

Is a manufactured home the same thing as a trailer? Do either of you have any experience with the double wides? I have never lived in anything except a stick built house. I wonder how they would be to heat and cool and how they would hold up in serious storms. They may be fine, but I'm a little leary. Around my area, you never see any nice trailers. They are all dumpy and I have a bad picture of what they would be in my mind.

Delly, for Persimmon Park Place, do you just buy the land and have the double wide plunked down on it and then it is all yours just like a house?

Thanks!

Old 12-11-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:

Is a manufactured home the same thing as a trailer? Do either of you have any experience with the double wides? I have never lived in anything except a stick built house. I wonder how they would be to heat and cool and how they would hold up in serious storms. They may be fine, but I'm a little leary. Around my area, you never see any nice trailers. They are all dumpy and I have a bad picture of what they would be in my mind.

Delly, for Persimmon Park Place, do you just buy the land and have the double wide plunked down on it and then it is all yours just like a house?

Thanks!
soapgirl.....
The word "trailer" is not used anymore, when speaking of a manufactured home. Or at least, it shouldn't be used. Doublewide and triplewide manufactured homes have come a long way. 1976 was the turnaround..and in that year, HUD came about, in regard to inspecting these homes.... i.e. withstanding high winds, meets energy standards, electrical standards, etc...., and inspecting to make sure sure they meet other specific requirements. Each home now has a HUD seal on each section stating the number of the unit, and the third party company doing the inspection. One of the requirements for most lenders is that the home needs to be on a permanent concrete block foundation. The County inspects the home after the home is set on the foundation, and they issue a letter saying the home is no longer a motor vehicle, but is taxed as real estate. Yes, and tie downs/withstanding winds is one of those items the County looks for. But in a bad hurricane, more than doublewides are in trouble. I don't know of any lenders interested in loaning on a manufactured home with no permanent foundation. It's up to you to pick a good contractor to set up the doublewide home, and the sales people usually recommend one, or offer to install it. That costs additional money. I've seen some beautiful doublewides and triplewides, and around here, those sell for $160,000 up to around $250,000 or more.

Persimmon Park Place is in the City of Dover, and yes, the land is included. I'm speaking of the first section, which is about 15-20 years old. There are a couple in there for sale in the $90,000-$110,000 range. If you don't want a doublewide though, there are older stick built bungalow style houses or townhouses for sale. It's a buyer's market.

And do I have any experience in living in a "trailer" ??? Well, as a matter of fact, I have. Then (before 1976) it REALLY WAS a trailer! That was an old singlewide, size 10' x 50' and we had three babies! It made us "closer"!

Old 12-11-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:

Thanks!
some of the newer parks have nice double wides that are insulated very well.
We live in a 55+ community and the home is brand new, so is the community.
This home is insulated very well. hardly have our heat on and if we do it is set at 65 or 68. My Gas bill is around $40 a month.

If you buy an old manufacuterd home, it may not be insulated as well. Just what I think but I'm not sure.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:11 PM

In addition to the HUD seals, there's a white sticker in one of the closets, in the shape of the U.S.A. It has all the pertinent information regarding insulation factors, wind factors, electrical, etc. All manufactured homes have to meet standard insulation factors, or at least they've had to since 1976. As I've said, they've come a long way.

You can choose one on leased land, or outside Camden there's a beautiful manufactured home community where you own your land, the manufactured home, and an attached garage. They are now up into the $200,000 range, though.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
In addition to the HUD seals, there's a white sticker in one of the closets, in the shape of the U.S.A. It has all the pertinent information regarding insulation factors, wind factors, electrical, etc. All manufactured homes have to meet standard insulation factors, or at least they've had to since 1976. As I've said, they've come a long way.

You can choose one on leased land, or outside Camden there's a beautiful manufactured home community where you own your land, the manufactured home, and an attached garage. They are now up into the $200,000 range, though.
You really have knowledge of many different subjects Delly.
I do know the homes have come along way in many ways. I love my modular home or manufactured. They say there is a difference but I'll be darned if I know what it is.
$200,000 is not bad for brand new and you own the land. You figure no lot rent so that may be great for someone who would prefer to own the land.
Ours is brand new with an attached 2 car garage. We lease the land but the home was $117,000. Which was a year ago and they are a little more now.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:45 AM

elizamary..........Thank you......
I tend to get carried away, and have to watch myself, because real estate has been a big part of my life for many years.

You live in a very nice subdivision, EM. It's very well cared for and attractive. You can determine if you have a manufactured home in one easy step (or 2). Look outside your home, on the corners. Each section will have a little metal plate which is the HUD seal. If it's there, and also on a sticker somewhere inside the home, you have a manufactured home (doublewide or triplewide). Modulars usually have a sticker under the kitchen sink indicating the brand of modular you have, and there is no steel frame supporting the house. Construction of modulars is similar to a stick built, or custom built home. I'll PM you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware