Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 07:22 AM

56 posts, read 160,250 times

Advertisements

...That being said, my very young professional neighbor has his garage painted in Eagles colors and has a pool and beer-pong table in there. Why go anywhere else? ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 08:36 AM

26 posts, read 39,525 times
@TeddyP27 I understand your prespective.. however what age were you when you were content with sitting in your house drinking a few brews? Also, I can see being content when you're in a relationship, however being single hanging in the house with your friends does not cut it.

Having a "skill-set" to create a social scene in DE is about as easy as parting the Red Sea.

Just a thought.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:02 AM

21 posts, read 29,744 times
Delaware is great if you're a middle aged (or older) boring homebody. It's great for finally settling down or retirement. Delaware sucks for young people who want to balance a career with a partying, clubbing, bar hopping, always meeting fun new people lifestyle. Hanging out with friends at someone's home gets stale really fast. Most young people want a plentiful variety of decent bars & clubs full of people around THEIR age to have a good time, and being within walking distance and in a safe area AND doesn't yell last call at 12:45. Delaware (not even Trolley) has that.

Delaware simply is not youth or young adult oriented.
I completely empathize with the OP, and I'm a DE born, nearly middle-aged, lifelong resident.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:20 AM

934 posts, read 1,051,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyP27 View Post
Perhaps part of the discussion is also having a skill-set to create a social scene rather than rely on the environment? In our last neighborhood we got close to the neighbors and didn't need the option to go out as much as we'd crack open a case and hang out with a moment's notice. We're finally getting some nice weather and we're getting to know many of our new neighbors as well. Just a thought..
There is definitely something to be said for that. I just moved to my new place, so I don't know my neighbors yet, but I hope to get to know them and spend some time with them.

That said, a lot of young professionals are moving to a place for the first time. They don't just not know their neighbors, they don't know anybody. So, they're building an entire network from scratch. That network can't just consist of neighbors (although one's living community is one aspect and plays an important role); it has to also consist of co-workers and other young professionals/people at the same stage in life as them in the area. And meeting others around your age is hard to do en mass without some sort of night life/social scene.

Also, madamskinny makes a very good point about the difference in perspective of being married/in a relationship vs. single. A lot of single young people are not just looking to build a network, they're looking to meet other singles as well.

Trust me, I'm just as content to hang out in my house and have a few beers with some very close friends. But, I have to meet those friends first! I'm a very social person. I love hanging out with a steady group of friends, but I also enjoy meeting new people. It's good to have a mix of both, in my opinion.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:34 AM

4,444 posts, read 3,975,384 times
I don't see any reason why downtown wilmington couldn't be built up to have a dense urban lifestyle. DE has A LOT of jobs for it's size, If wilmington were made more urban it would be a if you build it they will come. Also it would then function as another cheap urban location to live while working in center city philly. Also wilmington is kind of hilly so it would have that san fran urban feel to it.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:27 PM

145 posts, read 319,322 times
I think this entire thread is pretty funny. Who moves to DE as a young person and expects it to be as hopping as Philly or DC? The northern half of the state is basically a giant suburb of Philly. What do you expect? But compared to a lot of other parts of the country, DE does have a lot going on. The OP has obviously never been to the Midwest or even SEPA. Compared to those places, DE IS hopping!

Old 05-22-2014, 11:52 PM

934 posts, read 1,051,872 times
"The Midwest" includes Chicago. I'd say that place has a lot going on.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:38 PM

2,045 posts, read 2,134,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I don't see any reason why downtown wilmington couldn't be built up to have a dense urban lifestyle. DE has A LOT of jobs for it's size, If wilmington were made more urban it would be a if you build it they will come. Also it would then function as another cheap urban location to live while working in center city philly. Also wilmington is kind of hilly so it would have that san fran urban feel to it.
I agree, Mike. As someone who grew up in North Wilmington, went to college in Baltimore, and came back to New Castle County after college, I was eager after a few years to move to Philly. But I think Wilmington has a ton of potential, and it's part of the way there. It's not the Wilmington of my youth - it's starting to have way more in common with larger, "hipper" cities. And it's got a lot more going for it than Newark. It's got its version of Deep Point Breeze and Mantua (as NewsWeek so kindly pointed out), and that needs to be fixed. But the downtown is getting more cultural and young-professional-friendly every year. If I was a real estate investor with deep pockets and a lot of patience, I'd start buying up properties on the southern end of Washington Street (near the Queen Theatre), and in Little Italy and the western edge of Cool Springs. These areas may be the Graduate Hospitals and University Cities of Wilmington, 10 years from now.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:44 PM

324 posts, read 1,216,007 times
If you want to depreciate your car, waste 3 hours of your life everyday by sitting on your butt in your car, like eating dinner at 8P every night and risking your health, commute from Philly everyday.
I did it for years in the opposite direction...worse years of my life. In retrospect, no amount of money was worth it.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:08 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,997,863 times
I'm from Philly and lived there -- not downtown, but right by the airport and 95 South -- and commuted to downtown Wilmington for 9 years. And the commute was 30-35 mins. (20 years ago) I'm in the DC area no. Philly to Wilmington is child's play.

If the OP wants to go from downtown Philly to Newark, then that would be MAYBE an hour, to make sure you're on time. (most day's I'd say less) Just live near 95, so you get right on and be on your way. OR if you want to be near hilly but not it nit, live near the blue route). You're close to Philly for your night life, and can hop on 95 when you need to.

But if the OP wants to LIVE right down town (what's called "Center City", or in Manayunk) -- then yeah that's about 50 min commute. But still not the worst commute int he world. You get off at 5 or 6, home by 6p or 7. That's not late, plenty of time to go out and have a night life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware