Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 12:57 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I know of 3 of those situations, where disgruntled individuals want to "get back" at the law enforcement agencies. One of those situations everybody down here knows about....the homeowner (driver) was pulled over for expired tags, so he put a "speed trap ahead" sign in his front lawn. What a simpleton!

It's a joy for me to see cars pulled over for speeding, and always makes my day! Needless to say, 95% of the time, the cars pulled over are from out of state, because, for the most part, we slower-lower people know better than to speed, and besides - we're not in a hurry I love it when those out-of-staters whip around me! I get to see them pulled over along the road a little later. So funny!
rdlr,

I don't think they target out of state plates- just drivers who think the speed limit does not apply to them. As a matter of fact I saw several cars pulled over in downtown Lewes when I was staying in town for several weeks. They were all DE plates! Savannah Road is clearly posted as to where you can drive 35mph, 30 mph and 25 mph. It's not as if they are unfamiliar with the area and don't know the speed limit. It is clearly posted.

Don't speed and you don't have to worry about getting a ticket!

Mary2014
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 10:30 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I know of 3 of those situations, where disgruntled individuals want to "get back" at the law enforcement agencies. One of those situations everybody down here knows about....the homeowner (driver) was pulled over for expired tags, so he put a "speed trap ahead" sign in his front lawn. What a simpleton!

It's a joy for me to see cars pulled over for speeding, and always makes my day! Needless to say, 95% of the time, the cars pulled over are from out of state, because, for the most part, we slower-lower people know better than to speed, and besides - we're not in a hurry I love it when those out-of-staters whip around me! I get to see them pulled over along the road a little later. So funny!
The guy is doing a public service. That sign may slow someone down and save a life.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:33 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
rdlr,

I don't think they target out of state plates- just drivers who think the speed limit does not apply to them. As a matter of fact I saw several cars pulled over in downtown Lewes when I was staying in town for several weeks. They were all DE plates! Savannah Road is clearly posted as to where you can drive 35mph, 30 mph and 25 mph. It's not as if they are unfamiliar with the area and don't know the speed limit. It is clearly posted.

Mary2014
Delaware tags do not mean local. And then of course there are those people to whom the rules do not apply.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:52 AM

9,723 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
rdlr,

I don't think they target out of state plates- just drivers who think the speed limit does not apply to them.

Mary2014
Of course not. I didn't say they "target" out of state plates. The point is, out-of-staters tend to fly through out state because our speed requirements are probably lower than in their state.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:21 AM

820 posts, read 1,209,220 times
You can go about 85 tops on 295/95 without getting pulled over although I do not recommend it. Be wary of the turn lights, if you get stuck at the end your most likely getting a ticket in the mail.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:24 PM

6 posts, read 13,285 times
I am a huge fan of cruise control!

Old 05-30-2014, 03:09 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,148 times
We just came back from about 1.5 weeks in DE on a house hunting mission and I am so glad that I read this thread before we left! I try to drive the speed limit or under but hubby tends to have a heavier foot being as they are a bit more lenient on the limit in PA and NC/SC. Of course he never listens to me, but reading him these posts actually did make a difference while there, with less stress on my part (I hate the thought of giving money away). And we both noticed an increased presence of police than what we are used to. For the most part people seemed to be obeying the speed limits, although there are always a couple of people who act like idiots.

But I had to get used to the frequent sound of a loud alarm coming from my GPS every time it detected a red light camera!

Old 05-30-2014, 07:23 PM

374 posts, read 517,498 times
I agree with Babalou that cruise control is a great friend. And Rothbear is right about the differences between states. I've lived in a number of different states and cities, and it seems no two are the same when it comes to speed enforcement.

Here in Chicagoland, they like to say the speed limit is "just a mild suggestion", and they are right. All the Interstates are posted at 55 mph, but if you are going under 70 you better be in the far right lane or you will be run over. My rule of thumb when I travel is to just try to stay with the flow of traffic, but generally set the cruise control 5-7 mph over the posted limit on major roads like the Coastal Highway. Of course, in towns and anywhere there are lower limits (like 35 or less) I just stick with the limit on the assumption there is a good reason they are set at that rate.

Appreciate it if my soon-to-be neighbors tell me if this works in the Lewes/Rehoboth/Ocean City areas. By the way, no need to fear me racing around, have been driving for 45 years and no speeding tickets (ouch - hope I didn't just jinx that streak)!

Old 05-31-2014, 06:33 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,661 times
Definitely drive the speed limit in Lewes, Rehoboth, Dewey, Bethany, Ocean View, and OC. I won't go more than 1-2 mph over it. You can go faster on route one, but don't go more than 8 mph over...that is, if you can even do that in the heavy summer traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware