Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 09:11 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,347,194 times

Advertisements

Hello beautiful people of the great state of Delaware. I am comparing several different areas for relocation research. I have been to Delaware twice and will return sometime this summer or possibly right after Labor Day. I have absolutely loved your state when I have visited but I know living somewhere is different from vacationing so if you could answer some or all of the following questions it would really help me. Thank you!

1) Please give your general location.

2) How long have you lived in DE?

3) Please briefly indicate your feelings about the current real estate market in DE - are prices on the rise, stable, are there bargain areas, overpriced areas? Any comments welcome including projections for the future.

4) Have you personally been the victim of a crime in DE or do you personally know someone who was the victim of a crime in DE? (elaborate if you wish)

5) Is organic food difficult to find in DE grocery stores and restaurants?

6) How many people do you personally know that have contracted Lyme disease from a tick bite in DE?

7) How many dogs do you know of that have contracted either heart worm or Lyme in DE? (please indicate which.) Do you find that fleas are a common issue for dogs in DE?

8) When is the last time you saw a black widow or brown recluse on your property or in your house and how often does this happen? (which spider and are you 100% certain you correctly identified it?)

9) When is the last time you encountered a rattle snake or copperhead, where, and how often does this happen? I am not concerned about other kinds of snakes.

10) Do you currently have a mosquito bite? (or other bug bite)

Please give a word, a phrase, or a sentence that first comes to mind when you think of each of the following areas (the reputation, housing, people, and/or general atmosphere there):

-- Hockessin
-- Bear
-- Middletown
-- Townsend
-- Odessa
-- Smyrna
-- Camden-Wyoming
-- rural area west of Dover
-- Milford
-- Milton
-- Lewes
-- Millsboro
-- Ocean View

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 07:19 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,910,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
Hello beautiful people of the great state of Delaware. I am comparing several different areas for relocation research. I have been to Delaware twice and will return sometime this summer or possibly right after Labor Day. I have absolutely loved your state when I have visited but I know living somewhere is different from vacationing so if you could answer some or all of the following questions it would really help me. Thank you!

Ocean View, DE

2) How long have you lived in DE?
All my life...going on 40 years. I have never lived anywhere else for any amount of time.

3) Please briefly indicate your feelings about the current real estate market in DE - are prices on the rise, stable, are there bargain areas, overpriced areas? Any comments welcome including projections for the future.
Both prices and sales are on the rise here in the OV/Bethany area. This past year has been very promising. I think sales will continue to rise for a few more years. Most homes in this area are moderately priced or over-priced.

4) Have you personally been the victim of a crime in DE or do you personally know someone who was the victim of a crime in DE? (elaborate if you wish)
I have never been the victim of a violent crime, but then again I refuse to live in/visit high crime areas (especially at night). A creepy man did tried to lure me away when I was a young teen visiting the arcade at the Rehoboth boardwalk. I ran off and told my mom and the police. He was never found.

I have had quite a few things stolen from me, all when I lived in the Oak Orchard area from 1985-1995. I haven't had anything stolen from me since then, but I lock everything up at all times--even my cars in the driveway. Oak Orchard has a lot of low-income and drug addicted people living there....did back then and it's even worse now. Most crime in DE is linked to drug use, with heroin and meth being very much the drugs of choice. DE has a very noticeable and growing drug problem. Heroin is everywhere, but meth tends to be in lower income and rural areas of western Sussex and Kent counties.

Yes--it's spotty. I find small amounts here and there. I buy at farmers' markets--cheaper, fresher, and supports local farmers.

6) How many people do you personally know that have contracted Lyme disease from a tick bite in DE?
I know a couple people....it's very much a problem here. I spend lots of time outdoors and I am always checking myself for ticks.

7) How many dogs do you know of that have contracted either heart worm or Lyme in DE? (please indicate which.) Do you find that fleas are a common issue for dogs in DE?
I have known of a few....and yes, fleas love Delaware pets!

8) When is the last time you saw a black widow or brown recluse on your property or in your house and how often does this happen? (which spider and are you 100% certain you correctly identified it?)
Often...especially brown recluses. I stepped on a brown recluse in my house a few years ago. Yes, I'm sure it was one (have a science background and I'm an avid outdoors enthusiast). It must have died before it could release its venom because I did not have a reaction. I didn't see it and I must have caught it off-guard when I stepped on it.

9) When is the last time you encountered a rattle snake or copperhead, where, and how often does this happen? I am not concerned about other kinds of snakes.
Never in DE, and I spend LOTS of times outdoors, in the woods, and hiking trails at state parks and wildlife refuges. Copperheads are here though. Never heard of a rattler here...not saying there aren't any. I saw a baby copperhead at my parents' farm in rural Virginia though--75 miles south of me near Parksley, VA.

Yes....it's that time of the year again. Plenty of biting insects here, for sure.

Please give a word, a phrase, or a sentence that first comes to mind when you think of each of the following areas (the reputation, housing, people, and/or general atmosphere there):

-- Hockessin
Nice area, but above the canal (not "into" any place above the canal--sorry!)
-- Bear
Ehhh...some parts ok, some parts scary
-- Middletown
Very nice area--my sister lives near Summit Bridge. It's the ONLY place in New Castle County I could ever live and not be driven to the brink of insanity.
-- Townsend
Good area, maybe kinda boring
-- Odessa
Another nice area in NCC
-- Smyrna
Some nice places to hike there...otherwise, I'll pass on the visit.
-- Camden-Wyoming
Sleepy....seems pretty decent though
-- rural area west of Dover
LOVE the Amish farms, but otherwise it's redneck and meth lab central. No thanks.
-- Milford
Lots of nice areas to live, but avoid seedy areas right in town and near some trailer parks. Shootings and muggings are becoming all too common in the lower income areas.
-- Milton
Quaint, far enough away from the beach to find some peace during the summer but still close enough to be near civilization.
-- Lewes
LOVE it, used to live there but it's soooo overcrowded during the summer. Still one of my favorite places in DE though!
-- Millsboro
Used to be a sleepy, cute town but crime is picking up...thanks to heroin. I still visit on occasion for places to dine.
-- Ocean View
Lived here almost 12 years now, love it, no regrets.....very low crime, no section eight housing or seedy areas, great places to eat, all kinds of places to hike/bike/kayak....not cheap to live here (high COL compared to nearby towns), but I'm staying!

Thanks so much!
No problem! Hope I could help you out

Old 05-24-2014, 07:21 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
I am a transplant from LI, NY a little more than a year ago. We live in Rehoboth and love it. I can't answer any of your questions other than the bug bite and the only answer I can give you is that for my entire life other than the dead of winter, most bugs will find me, so the answer is yes to that question.

I will however, offer this. If I were to select towns/villages on LI as you did for DE. the responses may not be helpful. I can only speak with authority on where I lived and a few of the surrounding areas. To ask an Ocean View person to comment on Smyrna for example is equivalent to asking me to comment on Montauk, as I am from western Nassau county. No one person an be an authority on an entire state. While I am sure there are folks who can "comment" it really will do you little good as far as researching goes. You would be far better off to ask something like "What are the schools and shopping like in (fill in the blank)? Are there organic markets nearby? etc. I would also encourage you to search the forum for additional info. Good Luck.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:23 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
And Beach Liz does a nice job of what I just said would not be possible. !!!!!

Old 05-24-2014, 08:18 AM

Thanks, Nuts!

Old 05-24-2014, 08:28 AM

91 posts, read 104,064 times

I don't live in Delaware, but I know the state very well.

I'm sorry that I can't offer more information than you can find on this site about Delaware. (I don't mean that in a sarcastic way.) In this category, the state varies dramatically through the three counties. Since you didn't mention whether you'll be moving for a job or perhaps retiring, you may help yourself by learning the range of personalities from New Castle to Sussex.

As for the future, Delaware is growing at phenomenal rates. From 2000-2010, Kent County grew by 28% and Sussex County grew by 26%. New Castle grew by almost 8%.

Check here for basic numbers and info about the counties and towns, such as home prices and demographics.

Delaware QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

4) Have you personally been the victim of a crime in DE or do you personally know someone who was the victim of a crime in DE?

No. To both. Outside of Wilmington, and perhaps a neighborhood or two in Dover, and perhaps a street or two somewhere that I'm missing, Delaware is very safe. It's amazing to me that Delaware ranks in the top 10 states for crime. I assure you that outside of parts of Wilmington, parts you would immediately recognize as not good, you shouldn't be fearful of crime in Delaware. Even if you move to Wilmington, you will most likely not encounter crime, assuming you don't move to the worst neighborhoods.

I don't know. But you will find fresh, local fruit and vegetables in season.

None. I read an article recently that showed there were a few incidents of Lyme disease in Delaware. I believe that DE and VT had the lowest incident rates in the northeast. Delaware also does not have dengue, as of this article last month, and it has very few cases of West Nile from the period of 2002-2012.

None. As for fleas, your pet may pick up one or two, but I've never seen or heard that fleas are out of control.

Oh my. Forgive my ignorance, but I didn't know Delaware had black widows or brown recluse. I've never seen either, and I don't know anyone who has seen either or been bitten by either. Others may have different experiences.

Never. Again, while Delaware may be part of the copperhead region, you just don't see a lot of snakes and crazy wildlife in Delaware. I'm not saying they don't exist somewhere, but I've never seen one, and you do not need to worry that if you left you door open that a snake will come in. You should be more concerned about letting flies in. Others, however, may have different experiences.

Mosquitoes can get bad in places in the summer.

-- Hockessin - wealthy
-- Bear - not so wealthy
-- Middletown - quaint
-- Townsend - sort of rural
-- Odessa - quaint
-- Smyrna - small town
-- Camden-Wyoming - suburb of Dover
-- rural area west of Dover - not sure anymore. That area seems to be developing, but I don't know how far it extends these days.
-- Milford - large, small town in lower DE
-- Milton - ??
-- Lewes - very nice, artsy beach town
-- Millsboro - ??
-- Ocean View - ??

Keep in mind that Delaware is changing very fast. Apparently many people from New Jersey and PA are retiring down there, adding to the economy, and in my opinion, bringing more culture with them. Delaware is a quiet state, but it's a nice state. I feel comfortable in Delaware. It has very few places to be isolated, so it has very few hate groups and other negative elements. Most people are good people who simply go about their lives. But each town has its own personality, and I encourage you to learn the personality to see if it fits you. For example, Newark is a college town that is close to I-95 and has lots of cafes and coffee shops, etc., but it also has lots of college kids, so if you're seeking that or trying to avoid that, it's something to consider.

It may also help you to know that New Castle County and much of Kent County are, more or less, suburbs of Philadelphia. They are in Philadelphia's tv market. South of that, and your tv will be more associated with Maryland and Baltimore. This dynamic sort of divides the state, but I don't mean to suggest that this divide is a negative thing.

I hope that little bit helps you. Good luck with your search.

Last edited by Mantronix4204; 05-24-2014 at 09:55 AM..

Old 05-24-2014, 11:01 AM

27 posts, read 65,384 times
I don't have a lot to add to the conversation as I am more of a lurker. I really wanted to tell BeachLiz that I always enjoy your replies. Your answers are always so thorough and knowledgeable. You are very well spoken. I feel like you could be a friend to everyone.
I moved to De in July , 2013. I live in a Lewes zip code but it is really closer to Angola. I love the community I am in. Everyone I have met at the stores and restaurants have always been very nice and friendly. My community was selling real good last year but has slowed down some lately.
I have not been the victim of a crime . I try to stay out of harms way.
I don't know of anyone who has had Lymes.
I used to live in Maryland and worked part time at the local animal shelter. We would probably see a dog or cat a month that was positive for Lymes. I always use Revolution on my dogs and they test negative every year. There are preventative measures for pets to cover fleas , lyme and heartworm. I have 4 dogs and no flea problems.
I wouldn't know a brown recluse . I don't get close enough to spiders to find out what they are. I think we had them in Maryland also.
I have only seen one baby snake and have no idea what it was. I don't hang around long enough to find out.
Our community has Bay access and the closer to the water , the worse the bugs. There are these teeny tiny knats that are very annoying. Plus some kind of big flies that bite. Big mosquitos (but they were in Maryland also). I always seem to have some kind of bite on me. Plus we have so many frogs. I never dreamed there would be so many frogs in my yard. But they are harmless. But we also have some beautiful dragonflies , blue birds , blue jays , osprey . So it's all good.
I am too new here to really comment on the cities. I have a friend who lives in the Millsboro zip code but it is really more like Long Neck and she loves it there.
I really enjoy where I live. I love knowing I live 20 minutes from the Ocean and all the wildlife it has to offer. There is no rush hour here. The shopping could use a little help but isn't that why they invented the internet?
BeachLiz thank you for all of your enjoyable replies.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:23 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,347,194 times
Lewes has been one of my favorite areas when I've visited. Milton sounds like a perfect location for me; will have to check it out when I visit. Is Milton considerably more affordable than the beach communities in terms of housing?

Old 05-24-2014, 02:03 PM

Chickahominy--thank you for the compliments . I don't beat around the bush and I try to be as honest and forthcoming regarding any questions concerning my cherished home state ....the good, the bad, and the ugly. Thankfully, there is much more good than bad and ugly.

I really try not to offend anyone with my opinions/viewpoints on certain areas and hope they are just viewed as that--opinions. I'm a pretty peaceful person and the last thing I want to do is offend; thankfully, most welcome the opinions even if it's not what they wanted to hear.

k9coach--You should find Milton more affordable than Lewes, Rehoboth, and Bethany, but don't get me wrong...there are plenty of wealthy people and expensive homes in Milton. Lewes is a rather upper-class town--if you are a homeowner east of route one in Lewes, then you probably have a fat wallet unless you live in a condo or townhome. I rented a tiny apartment when I lived there and just really lucked out on the location. Ocean View is probably along the lines of Milton as far as housing prices, but there are plenty of expensive homes here as well. I often find that people moving here from northern states such as NY, NJ, and parts of PA find coastal DE to be much more affordable to them than it is to those of us who were born and raised here.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:52 PM

622 posts, read 948,495 times
1. Vineland/Millville area. Used to live in the Atlantic City area until about 10 years ago.
2. I lived around the Greater Delaware area all my life
3. Don't Know
4. No
5. It is not difficult to find organic food around the Delaware area.
6. Zero
7. Zero
8. Don't Remember
9. I think last year when I saw a snake in my basement.
10. I don't have mosquito bites right now, but I have gotten bit by mosquitoes before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware