U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2014, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,648 times

Advertisements

I hope that, this time next year, I'll be retiring. I'm originally from Pennsylvania, but have lived all over the country. We have been thinking of several place, Delaware being one, because of the tax advantages. However, I really don't know much about the state except the Wilmington train station and one job interview, a while back, in Dover which didn't impress me. Condo/townhouse/apt. would be best. Our price range is low (maybe $200Kish). Two bedrooms desirable and pet-friendly. Near to good healthcare (which might require us to be near the PA border). I'd like transportation. We are Jewish (nominally) so a presence would be nice. any suggestions (other than find a place in Philadelphia or DC)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 12:52 PM

1,222 posts, read 1,545,135 times
Can you clarify "good healthcare"? Is there any special medical needs that requires a hospital that specializes in a particular area?

Can you clarify "I'd like transportation". What exactly does that mean to you? I.e. near a bus route, near a train, near an airport? Alternative transportation because you do not drive?

Mary2014

Old 06-04-2014, 08:56 PM

996 posts, read 857,219 times
Pennsylvania does not tax pension income. Delaware does. PA has a flat income tax rate; DE uses a sliding scale. So DE's income tax rates can be higher, depending on your income. In PA, clothes, shoes, and most food are tax-free. If you live close to the PA/DE line, you can shop tax-free in Delaware. (Except most stores that deliver from DE to a PA address do charge PA's 6% sales tax.)

The one tax advantage Delaware has is considerably lower property taxes. Since you won't have anyone in the school system, the resulting lower quality of public schools would not make a difference to you.

I'd advise sticking to northern New Castle County for the "good healthcare" criterion. Healthcare services are rapidly improving in Sussex County, because of the huge influx of retirees since 2000. But they cannot match the Christiana Care network in Wilmington/Newark. And of course, as you imply, it's a good location for second opinions in Philadelphia.

In North Wilmington (an unincorporated area not part of the City of Wilmington) there is a very active Jewish Community Center with social and recreational activities.

There are a few sections of the City of Wilmington -- Riverfront, Trolley Square -- that might suit. Otherwise, the City is not really a desirable place to live. Stick to North Wilmington, Newark (a college town, with concomitant advantages and problems), Pike Creek Valley, Hockessin. Greenville and Centreville are the most desirable areas, but generally out of your budget.

Good luck with your research and decision!

Old 06-05-2014, 06:19 AM

7,326 posts, read 10,756,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
The one tax advantage Delaware has is considerably lower property taxes. Since you won't have anyone in the school system, the resulting lower quality of public schools would not make a difference to you.
Guess we were just lucky in our 75 years being in Kent County. Our 3 children attended public schools in Kent County, gained entry in some prestigious higher learning institutions, and achieved Masters Degrees, resulting in high end professional employment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
I'd advise sticking to northern New Castle County for the "good healthcare" criterion. Healthcare services are rapidly improving in Sussex County, because of the huge influx of retirees since 2000. But they cannot match the Christiana Care network in Wilmington/Newark. And of course, as you imply, it's a good location for second opinions in Philadelphia.
By the way, "high influx of retirees since 2000" is not correct. It's been happening since the 1940's.

Here's the Christiana Care Network Link - throughout the State of Delaware, not limited to New Castle County.

Christiana Hospital - Christiana Care Health System, Newark, Delaware

How long have you lived in Delaware, Pocopsonite?

Old 06-05-2014, 01:21 PM

996 posts, read 857,219 times
>> How long have you lived in Delaware, Pocopsonite? <<

We are Dela-vanians. (Or perhaps Pennsyl-wareans.)

I grew up in Delaware. I've lived in PA for the past 30 years, 10 minutes from the Delaware border. We spend a lot of time in Delaware because my husband worked there, we have many friends there, and we have owned a place in Dewey Beach since 1976. My primary local newspapers are The News Journal and The Cape Gazette; my local radio stations are WDEL and WXDE.

So although I don't have a Delaware driver's license, I'm pretty familiar with the state.

I'm not at all familiar with Kent County schools, so I perhaps should have qualified that comment by saying "in New Castle County." Because there's a stark difference between the schools in Chester County + neighboring PA counties, and the ones on the other side of the state line in New Castle County. Take SAT scores at the top schools:

Top Delaware SAT Scores - Welcome to Greater Philadelphia
Top Pennsylvania SAT Scores - Welcome to Greater Philadelphia

If Kent County schools do better than the ones in New Castle County, that's great!

(BTW, all, I haven't been a member here long enough to know if this will be considered off-topic and belongs elsewhere. Since the OP didn't ask about schools, maybe spending this much space on it is inappropriate. If so, sorry!)

Old 06-05-2014, 02:05 PM

253 posts, read 316,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storylady50 View Post
I hope that, this time next year, I'll be retiring. I'm originally from Pennsylvania, but have lived all over the country. We have been thinking of several place, Delaware being one, because of the tax advantages. However, I really don't know much about the state except the Wilmington train station and one job interview, a while back, in Dover which didn't impress me. Condo/townhouse/apt. would be best. Our price range is low (maybe $200Kish). Two bedrooms desirable and pet-friendly. Near to good healthcare (which might require us to be near the PA border). I'd like transportation. We are Jewish (nominally) so a presence would be nice. any suggestions (other than find a place in Philadelphia or DC)
No sure if you knew, but BayHealth (in Dover) Cardiovascular is affiliated with Penn Medicine (no slouch in and of itself). While I have not (and hope not to ever need to) used them, you would have access to the full services available at Penn Med.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware