U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2014, 04:38 PM

3 posts, read 4,243 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Sorry if i am writing that which has been written already, but i am in need of some assistance.

I am being offered a position in Delaware, Willmington to be exact. I currently live in Central New Jersey, and have been considering relocating.

I have small kids that will be starting school soon and a large family. I will want at least over 1.5 acre of land, as i like my privacy.

What is a good area for family, safety, schools to move to. I will want a larger house with at least 5 bedrooms, the more the better. however, large rooms.
I am even debating buying land am building a custom house, but i still have to do more research into that. I was told that hockessin is a nice area but I am not familiar with it at all.
Any ideas on where to move to. Also are there any areas close to the water in New castle?

I look forward in hearing back from everyone.

Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 05:18 PM

996 posts, read 858,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khana1 View Post
Hello everyone,

<snip>

I have small kids that will be starting school soon and a large family. I will want at least over 1.5 acre of land, as i like my privacy.

<snip>

I was told that hockessin is a nice area but I am not familiar with it at all.
Any ideas on where to move to. Also are there any areas close to the water in New castle?
Do you mean Old New Castle the town, or New Castle County? Old New Castle is on the Delaware River but it's a colonial-era community so finding 1.5+ acres is unlikely. The rest of the New Castle mailing address isn't on the water.

Most of the Delaware Riverfront is industrial, but there's a cute little town, Delaware City, at the intersection of the river and the C&D Canal. I don't know anything about the housing stock. It would be at least a half-hour commute to downtown Wilmington.

Hockessin generally has larger lots and larger houses than, say, North Wilmington. (North Wilmington is the unincorporated area north of the City of Wilmington.) Much of North Wilmington was developed in the '50s and '60s, so the houses are older than in Hockessin, which was mostly farms during those decades. Be sure to research the school district for any house you're thinking about -- New Castle County schools overall are not the greatest.

One fast-developing area is Middletown, which has grown a lot over the past 20 years. Some developments there would fit your housing criteria. See MLS #6412024 on realtor.com or a similar site.

There are a lot more neighborhoods over the state line in Chester County with large lots. Many townships have 1- or two-acre minimum lot size. The commute could be as short as 20 minutes.

There has been a lot of discussion on the pros and cons of Delaware vs Pennsylvania in recent weeks; you should peruse those threads for a lot more info if you would consider PA.

Last edited by Pocopsonite; 06-30-2014 at 05:27 PM..

Old 07-01-2014, 09:32 AM

820 posts, read 992,188 times
Be ready to spend a minimum of 500k for what your described and that would not include the 1.5 acres. Also be prepared to spend 10-20k a year for private school on each kid.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:18 AM

3 posts, read 4,243 times
@Pocopsonite

Thank you for your help! Yes, I was referring to New Castle County. Also, I did not think about PA, but I will start researching about that as well. Everyone I ask about Delaware, the only response I get it "don't go there, it is boring..." lol. I have not really explored Delaware myself as of yet. Only went briefly to see the location I was being offered (downtown Wilmington). The property taxes are super low which is the biggest drive for me to move there. Currently, in New Jersey, the property taxes are super high. I guess I still have more to think about because having quality schools is a must. Middletown seems nice.

@sjdemak

Yes, that is about the amount I figured as well. Because the property taxes as so low, the mortgage payments hopefully would even out from the tax end. Also, are the schools really that bad that private schools will be an option?

Old 07-01-2014, 02:19 PM

820 posts, read 992,188 times
Others may disagree, but yes IMO the public schools are horrible. The lack of high taxes easily make private school a good option. I'm from NJ and we were paying 7k taxes on a 175k house. In Delaware it would be more like $1200. You also have to take into consideration any HOA fees that may exist. Overall DE is a lot better than NJ, affordability, shopping, diversity ect. Although the NJ beaches are better if you ask me. AC/WildWood/Sea Isle/Avalon.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:27 PM

20 posts, read 24,643 times
Default why are hoa and condo fees so high

in delaware. I must be mssing something. In New Jersey (the land of high taxes) HOA and condo fees cover CAM charges, snow removal and landscaping charges. Is there something else in Delaware?

Thank you

Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or