U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2007, 09:48 PM

20 posts, read 105,740 times

Advertisements

Hey, is there anyone from Claymont on here? I grew up there, and I know that the luxurious Brookview apartments are slated for demolition. Has that started yet?

Does anybody know anything about Stoneybrook?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 08:27 AM

125 posts, read 428,847 times
Brookview has been leveled, but construction of the new homes is on hold. The developer was trying to sell the property, but couldn't find a buyer. Now they claim it will be moving forward shortly, but I guess between the flat real estate market and lack of faith in the "Claymont Renaissance", it's difficult to find willing investors. So it sits looking like a ghost town surrounded by a chain link fence. The grocery store in front of it became a dollar store, which I believe is also closed up.

Stoneybrook is Section 8 public housing now. A real ghetto.

I grew up in the area also, it has changed a lot. I wish them well with the revitalization, but I'm glad I moved across town.

Why did you move away? Did you move far?

Old 12-19-2007, 04:57 PM

Default As Far As I Could Go

Yeah, I moved to Los Angeles.

I'm actually FROM Stoneybrook, where I lived for fourteen pretty rough years, and I didn't want to end up a dusthead sitting on a stoop in Knollwood or in Gander Hill...so I fled and kept moving west until I hit the ocean. It was either swim or find and apartment. I've been here ten years now...........

Old 01-01-2008, 08:48 AM

18 posts, read 105,974 times
I actually live in Overlook Colony, its about 2-3 miles from where Brookview once was. I for once am glad they leveled it, but the construction was slated for Spring 2007 and its sad to drive past the area anymore. At least they have stated leveling the place, but in fall/winter of all time to do it. The grocery store is up still, but the market had since closed down.

Sad part is the low live that lived in Brookview have migrated to the better parts of Claymont (and in my area) and you can see the tell tale signs of them. Its making it sad to watch as it happens anymore.

I used to live Greentree apartments before I moved to my townhouse. I really wise they would do something about the issues that have been creeping up and there are a lot of new families starting here and the fools that are causing issues aren't needed.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 13,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D from STB View Post
Hey, is there anyone from Claymont on here? I grew up there, and I know that the luxurious Brookview apartments are slated for demolition. Has that started yet?

Does anybody know anything about Stoneybrook?

Thanks!
Hi just was in Claymont today and they have just started demolition on brookview. Very weird only thing standing is the two story units. I lived there for about 6 months back in the 70's and liked it but it went down hill fast. Stoneybrook are suppose to be nice houses and not to cost alot. It is suppose to be very nice once it is finished. Claymont is trying to look alot better. They are building a real nice fire house. I hope that Claymont can become the nice area it use to be.Lynda1lu

Old 01-12-2008, 10:18 PM

Default Adios Brookview

I lived in Brookview as well, in 1979 when I was three and again for a few months in my teens. It was bad then, but I heard it got really bad in the early 2000s. I was long one by then so I don't know first hand.

I guess all things are subject to decay, eventually. Goodbye BV!

Old 03-30-2008, 11:57 AM

Default Brookview, Stoneybrook, The Hill

Any former Stoneybrook, Brookview or Knollwood residents on here?

Old 04-24-2008, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 9,398 times
Default Former Brookview Resident

I am a former Brookview resident. I am in the minority of those who were from Brookview. My kids are honor students and have never been in trouble with their principal. We moved to Talleyville and our rent is killing us. I liked Brookview for the price, but it was a craphole. I never had the issues with rats/mice/roaches, but we kept the place clean.

I understand why people in Claymont wanted the place gone, but I hate being grouped with the rest of the scum that lived there. There were a few people that lived there that were very good people just trying to get by on a bad salary.

I am going back to college to finish up my degree so I can get out of the financial rut we are in cause I quit college like an idiot.

I am also thinking the way that they did people with the closing of Brookview was pretty raw and I think that the politicians who were involved pumped out a lot of promises and never ensured that they were followed through. I watched alot of older and handicapped residents get a real bad shake.

What they want to do in place of Brookview is great, but I don't think it will work...I would not spend $300,000+ to live less than a mile from CitiSteel/KnollWood/Stonybrook and I sure as hell wouldn't want to live near a depressing Philadelphia Pike, so I am not sure some other people will either...even though there are changes they are trying to make, Claymont is a depressed area and getting rid of Brookview will not change the bad attitudes of some of the other people who live there.

Besides, now that thye closed Darley Road School, where are all these new families Claymont will have move in going to send there kids?

Old 05-26-2008, 05:44 PM

Default I Agree.

There were plenty of families in Brookview just trying to get by but not caught up in all the stuff that went on there. Stoneybrook too, believe it or not. And you're right, who wants to spend half a million dollars to live 5 minutes from The Hill? They might have been a little too overly-ambitious on that one. Housing for working people and the middle class would be much more marketable.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:08 PM

Default The Closing of Darley Road School

I agree, DELAWARE DADDY, the closing of Darley Road is a real shame. I went there for 4 years. I'd just walk right up the path from Stoneybrook. I have so many god memories of that place. It's a real loss for the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware