Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 08:14 AM

74 posts, read 97,695 times

Advertisements

Thanks for clarifying the counties and parks, now hopefully I'll keep it straight ! We do plan on going to the Peach Festival.
We went to the Fair for the first time too. There sure is a lot to do down here, we're loving it. Oh, and we plan on also going to the Beer and Wine Festival in October. Autumn is my favorite time of year, and there seems to be a lot going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 11:16 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,425,139 times
Default I agree with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOlson0920 View Post
Hi, so this past weekend my husband and I went camping at Trap Pond state park. The people in the counties were very nice, the atmosphere, the open land, and even the air was soooo much cleaner than staten island ny( where we currently live) We were about 4 hours away from NY and loved it, we passed some counties like bridgeville, kent and camden. We obviously dont know the area but what are some good counties to move to??

I agree with you. I have been there 3 times and definitely want to move. If you like rural areas, I was traveling from Rehoboth Beach toward Laurel and was out in the middle of nowhere. I finally reached Gumboro, basically a crossroads with a few buildings. A little too rural for my tastes, but the Dover area is just right for me. I have run into a delay in moving because I have a cat and some of the new 55+ places did not want the cat there, but now I have found a place where the cat and I can go, which will involve another trip this fall and probably a move in the Spring. I never dreamed a cat would present a problem, but it did. Glad I found this out before I put down a deposit on a place.

Maybe you can eventually move to Delaware, too!

Old 07-24-2014, 06:59 PM

16 posts, read 25,601 times
Wow ! Can't believe how many responses I have received ! Even online people in Delaware are nice ! Ugh I love it ! Thank you all for the advice !!!! Any advice anyone has please feel free to let me know...no such thing as too much info!

Old 07-25-2014, 12:52 PM

hows housing in delaware? we dont have money saved for a house yet so we would rent ... what are the prices like???

Old 07-25-2014, 06:11 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,555,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOlson0920 View Post
hows housing in delaware? we dont have money saved for a house yet so we would rent ... what are the prices like???
Prices will depend upon where you live ( how close to the beach). Since it sounds like you are at an age where you are still working, that will be your main concern as to how far you want to travel to work.

Just be aware that most jobs pay a lot less in southern DE. For example, I worked as an accountant in SE PA until I retired a few months ago. The same job I was doing in SE PA pays 30% less in southern DE, that is IF you can find a job. I had to wait until I retired to move to southern DE.

I suggest you look at job opportunities that fit you skill set and find out how much they pay - to determine what your budget would be for rent in this area. If you are in the medical field- that is one area where there seems to be a high demand for workers.

Mary2014

Old 07-25-2014, 06:37 PM

Yes we are still working were only 23 lol (wish we could retire lol) my husband is a mechanic and I'm a veterinary technician

Old 07-25-2014, 07:13 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
My only comments that have not already been posted by the cream of the crop I might add, is based upon what others have stated who are closer in age to you. While I am a retiree, others closer to your age have stated that DE is "boring" and there is no nightlife. That there is nothing in their chosen work field to remain gainfully employed with chance for advancement.
Good luck.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:03 PM

you can say were old souls lol we work and go home and do it again the next day. were not fans of the nightlife with people our age - we love to be outside, love our cats and just being home lol

Old 07-25-2014, 10:37 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,269 times
You have asked about western Sussex. There are some older houses in the towns (Laurel,Seaford,Delmar) that are relatively inexpensive to rent.If I were relocating they would not be my first choice. I would definitely not relocate without a firm job commitment. The industries that do hire are Medical,poultry processing and cable companies.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:55 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,910,003 times
I'm almost 40 so I'm a tad bit older , but it sounds as if you'd like Delaware. I'm never bored here, but then again I live in tourist grand central station and there's always something going on nearby.

Mechanic and vet tech....these jobs are here. You may have to search a bit, but you'll find something. However, jobs are scarcer and lower-paying here compared to jobs up north. My son just moved to central PA, and he is getting paid $4/hour more to do the exact same job for the exact same company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware