U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 07:00 PM

13 posts, read 14,876 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the Lewes area in a year and have 2 dogs which I take hiking off leash. They are well trained, do not run away, and come when called. Are there any parks or trails besides the beach in the off summer months that I could use??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 05:56 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,052,855 times
You might want to try the Edward H. McCabe Preserve in Milton. It's pretty woodsy so beware of ticks and snakes, but it's a great hike with very few people on it. Here's a link:

Edward H. McCabe Preserve and Greenway Trail - Delaware Tourism - Delaware State Vacation Information

Old 08-05-2014, 05:59 AM

If you're ever down my way, try James Farm (free) or Delaware Seashore--Fresh Pond (need a park pass) anytime after summer ends. Many people take their dogs off-leash at both locations. Both are located off Cedar Neck Road in Ocean View.

Visit Us - James Farm Ecological Preserve | Delaware Center for the Inland Bays

Old 08-05-2014, 09:59 AM

Thanks beachliz -
Snakes???? what kind of snakes?

That preserve in Milton sounds perfect.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:35 PM

Mostly just black racers or black rat snakes--both harmless. Both are plentiful down here. We do have copperheads, but I've never seen one in my almost forty years of hiking the trails in Sussex County (and I spend a lot of time outdoors). However, they are here and they do prefer woodsy, shaded areas near bodies of water which would describe the trails mentioned above. It's rare that anyone is bitten, but I do offer the words of caution because you just never know. A man was bitten by a copperhead near Delaware Seashore last year, and since then I've been more cautious around shaded areas which have plenty of foliage or tree stumps for the snake to hide.

Anyway, the trails above are really nice for hiking, especially once fall arrives and the ticks and mosquitoes go away.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:16 PM

Geez, I thought I was leaving the ticks in New Jersey along with the high taxes. We have some copperheads and rattlesnakes here but they are mostly in the mountains in rocky areas.

Can't wait to move down there, but I will miss hiking in the woods that have some hills.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:23 AM

I wish we didn't have ticks, that's for sure. We have plenty of them though. I also like hiking where there's elevation, but I go away every fall to get my mountain hike fix.

You'll like the trails here though; I think everyone does. There are lots of them too!

Old 08-06-2014, 03:06 PM

377 posts, read 495,336 times
In New Castle you get the hills. There is White Clay Creek SP, Brandywine Creek SP, Middle Run, Blackbird state forest. A 10 minute drive from Newark you can go to Fair Hill NRA. They have a lot of trails and hills.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:18 PM

Thanks Pete. If I ever get a chance to be up in that neck of the woods, I would certainly love to hike those trails.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:27 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,011,647 times
Finally construction has begun on the Lewes dog Park Site clearing begins at new Lewes dog park - By Nick Roth - CapeGazette.com - Covering Delaware's Cape Region - Inland Bays, Atlantic Ocean, Rehoboth Beach, Lewes, Milton, Dewey Beach, USA

There will be a fund raiser Sat March 28 (2015) at the Lewes Library. The Canine College will feature a panel of experts who will provide valuable parenting information for your pet. Cost is $75 and includes four workshops and lunch. Tickets are available on the Lewes Unleashed Facebook page and at www.lewesunleashed.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or