U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-31-2014, 12:41 PM
 
22 posts, read 44,336 times
Reputation: 21

Advertisements

Hello. I'm looking at Real Estate in Sussex County, preferably close to the coast. Are there any areas that are more apt to sell houses with their own land? Not interested in a gated community or HOA's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-01-2014, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Former LI'er Now Rehoboth Beach, DE
7,778 posts, read 10,456,334 times
Reputation: 7763
Can't help exactly, but you are looking for "fee simple" homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2014, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
11,226 posts, read 19,674,671 times
Reputation: 5062
Quote:
Originally Posted by eathealthy View Post
Are there any areas that are more apt to sell houses with their own land?
The vast majority of stick-built homes are offered for sale in Delaware as "fee-simple" homes, I believe. That means that you would own the land. Modular homes are the ones which are usually offered on rented land. Both are available in Sussex County.

People could help you better if you specified what size home are you looking for and your budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2014, 10:26 AM
 
7,321 posts, read 10,752,675 times
Reputation: 14807
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Modular homes are the ones which are usually offered on rented land. Both are available in Sussex County.
Just thought I'd jump and clarify something here, since it's my business to be able to distinguish between a "modular" and "manufactured" home.

A modular home is stick built in a factory, under controlled climate conditions, and is delivered to the site in 2 or more sections, and placed on a permanent foundation. It does not have a steel frame undercarriage, and is built to code (not a HUD home). There are no HUD seals on the corners of these units, and there's no HUD sticker inside of the unit. Financing is not an issue.

A manufactured home is brought to the site in 2 or more sections, is a HUD Home, has a steel frame undercarriage, HUD seals on at least two corners of the units, and a HUD sticker on a wall (usually the walk-in closet) indicating wind resistance, and other pertinent spec factors. Financing of these is, sometimes, difficult to obtain. #1, they must be on a permanent foundation, but lenders are picky about financing manufactured homes.

In addition, there are many manufactured homes on the market having their own land (fee simple interest). Plus, there are many manufactured homes set up in manufactured home parks, or on other larger sites being rented. There are choices.

In Kent and Sussex Counties, it's not unusual to see manufactured homes on their own land (fee simple) being sold for anywhere between $60,000 to $225,000. At least that's what I found in my last market search. There are many misconceptions about manufactured homes, with modulars and manufactured often being confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eathealthy View Post
Hello. I'm looking at Real Estate in Sussex County, preferably close to the coast. Are there any areas that are more apt to sell houses with their own land? Not interested in a gated community or HOA's.
By "coast" do you mean the Bay or the Ocean? Along both, there are many homes for sale in fee simple interest (own the land), and prices will vary depending on "what water" you prefer and/or what you can afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2014, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Ocean View, DE
1,766 posts, read 3,053,515 times
Reputation: 1109
Good post, rdlr. So true....modular homes are nothing like manufactured homes (sometimes called "trailers" or "double-wides"). A good friend lives in a modular, and it's NOTHING like the new manufactured home I lived in during my early 20's. It's built MUCH better. They are basically just like site built homes (sometimes built even better) that are built in a factory under climate controlled conditions. I don't see many modular homes on lots where there is lot rent. I'm sure there may be some, but I cannot recall. Most homes with lot rent are manufactured homes because they are much easier to relocate should that be necessary (since they don't own the land).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2014, 04:35 PM
 
22 posts, read 44,336 times
Reputation: 21
Thank You all for this information. I know now that I am searching for a Fee Simple Home, preferably a site built or Modular. I will be paying cash, so financing is not the issue, but I am now educated on the difference between a manufactured vs modular home. I am trying to find a knowledgeable and motivated Buyers Agent in Sussex County who can help me find new listings and Foreclosures as they come onto the market. I have found a few agents through internet searches, but I would welcome a referral if you know of one. I would like to be close to the ocean, but not waterfront. A long walk or a short drive away would be just right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2014, 08:56 AM
 
6,226 posts, read 6,822,183 times
Reputation: 3098
I hope I'm wrong, someone straighten me out on this, but it also seems in Sussex county stick built homes are also built on leased land. Something just does not seem right about a fixed stick built home for sale for a couple of hundred thousand $ but not the little plot of land underneath it. I'm sure there are benefits for some, grass cut, flowers planted, paths made, but still.........

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-05-2014 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: Removed property listing - not allowed per TOS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2014, 01:09 PM
 
7,321 posts, read 10,752,675 times
Reputation: 14807
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I hope I'm wrong, someone straighten me out on this, but it also seems in Sussex county stick built homes are also built on leased land. Something just does not seem right about a fixed stick built home for sale for a couple of hundred thousand $ but not the little plot of land underneath it. I'm sure there are benefits for some, grass cut, flowers planted, paths made, but still.........
Yes, you may find some stick built homes built on leased land. Those on the east side of the Canal in Lewes (on the Bay) are stick built but lease their land. Also, those on the east side of Route 1 in Dewey Beach (along the ocean).... are built on leased land. That is not the norm. There are stick built homes along the water where they own their own land, for a few arms and legs, though. When you say "Sussex County" you're covering a lot of territory......most are stick built homes in fee simple interest.

Baywood, at Long Neck, is one of those prestigious communities, very much in demand, with a first class golf course. Yes, those modular dwellings are on rented land. Buyers of those properties are usually out-of-state people who think they are getting a bargain. Maybe so, compared to where they came from. Baywood started out bringing in all Beracah Modular Homes. Perhaps some are stick built now, not sure.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-05-2014 at 07:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2014, 02:24 PM
 
6,226 posts, read 6,822,183 times
Reputation: 3098
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Yes, you may find some stick built homes built on leased land. Those on the east side of the Canal in Lewes (on the Bay) are stick built but lease their land. Also, those on the east side of Route 1 in Dewey Beach (along the ocean).... are built on leased land. That is not the norm. There are stick built homes along the water where they own their own land, for a few arms and legs, though. When you say "Sussex County" you're covering a lot of territory......most are stick built homes in fee simple interest.

Baywood, at Long Neck, is one of those prestigious communities, very much in demand, with a first class golf course. Yes, those modular dwellings are on rented land. Buyers of those properties are usually out-of-state people who think they are getting a bargain. Maybe so, compared to where they came from. Baywood started out bringing in all Beracah Modular Homes. Perhaps some are stick built now, not sure.
Thanks rdir. Yes, those homes are on a resort it seems, very nice. Many that I've come across look like stick built, perhaps the trade has gotten that good where you can't tell anymore. Anyway, my take on it is if you can not move it you'll never own it through ground rent. I would think those homes sit for long period of time.....but maybe not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2014, 02:59 PM
 
7,321 posts, read 10,752,675 times
Reputation: 14807
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Thanks rdir. Yes, those homes are on a resort it seems, very nice. Many that I've come across look like stick built, perhaps the trade has gotten that good where you can't tell anymore. Anyway, my take on it is if you can not move it you'll never own it through ground rent. I would think those homes sit for long period of time.....but maybe not.
Actually, no. Renting the land, and owning the house, is a popular choice for many retirees moving into the State. As far as those on the east side of the Canal in Lewes, and east side of Route 1 in Dewey Beach, they mostly have 10-20-30 year leases on the land. When the properties sell, the leases, many times, are purchased also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:36 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top