Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 09:32 PM

7 posts, read 8,723 times

Advertisements

I am a transplant to the area, but I am trying to understand the issue with the school system in New Castle County. From the various sources I have spoken to, here is what I have gather. Tell me if I am accurate or not.

At one time there was Wilmington High school, which was the feeder school for all the poor minorities in the inner city.

Then someone cried raciest, and as a result, Wilmington High was shut down, and all the kids from the Wilmington ghettos were bused into Newark.

The Christina school district, which services mainly the Newark area, became the responsibility of the poorest section in Wilmington. While there are still some underprivileged areas zoned to Red Clay (sections of Elsmere) and Brandywine (sections of Edgemoor), the poorest of the poor were shipped out-and still are- to Christina. As a result, Glasgow High took the burnt of the demographic shift, followed by Christiana High, and then Newark High.

As a result, many parents either withdrew their children from the Christina School district and put them in private schools, or moved to unafflicted areas such as a Middletown. Over time, Middletown transcended from a backwoods cow field to a Wilmington/Newark area bedroom community.

Also, you have charter schools popping up in the area at a rapid rate. These are private entities being bankrolled by taxpayer dollars. The charter schools in the area seem to be cash cows to the people business managers in charge, as they draw from people who are looking for free alternative school option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 07:40 AM

347 posts, read 860,262 times
When we moved to Delaware in 2009 we were surprised with the number of Charter and Private schools in NCC. We were not familiar with Charter schools and had some concerns. Would our children be accepted by the Charter school...what were the requirements to be admitted, etc. Even in Middletown - with the award winning Appo schools there is a Charter school. MOT Charter just opened a high school and there is another Charter school in the works.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:52 PM

7 posts, read 8,723 times
Yep, Charters seems to be big business in Delaware.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:20 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,908,127 times
They're terrible, and it's why NCC has a huge number of students that go to private schools.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:53 PM

700 posts, read 1,808,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
They're terrible, and it's why NCC has a huge number of students that go to private schools.
Except for Brandywine and Appoquinimink as I've heard. Our kids did the Brandywine district years ago so I've been 'off the grid' for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware