U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 10:37 AM
c65 c65 started this thread

17 posts, read 21,032 times

Advertisements

Hello all. Long time lurker, first time posting. After reading this thread, I felt a dire need to say something.

I believe Delaware is on the cusp of its "paradigm shift" and the average Delawarean just refuses to acknowledge that fact.

A previous poster said the only con of Delaware is "Wilmington".

I am willing to bet money that the majority of people that do not like, or say they do not like Wilmington have never spent more than 24 hours at once in the city. Have they really convinced themselves that DELAWARE's BIGGEST TOWN isn't a great place to be? Wilmington real estate is becoming quite an animal and a drive through the city should convince anyone that it is, without a doubt, changing for better. The riverfront has seen hundreds of millions of dollars of investment by multi-national companies and that is just the beginning.

BPG (a real estate developer) has already built (and have publicly stated remain fully occupied) over 5 apartment buildings. Fully occupied in real estate means 90% or more. This has led BPG to warrant even more construction within the city. They are currently building 3 apartment buildings as I type this. One of them just broke ground on Market Street and the first floor is completed. This is a multi-million dollar project.

Another huge project by BPG is the project on 9th street. They bought an ENTIRE block in the city, knocked down a parking garage, and are in the middle of building a monsterous apartment building in center city that should lay the groundwork for a huge cultural boost.

Everyone wants to hate on Wilmington, but in reality, there just isnt't enough housing to satisfy what the city needs. These recent developments will help ascend Wilmington into greater times. There are tons of great restaurants, new and old, a brand new I-MAX theater, a new Westin hotel (many overlook the status of that), and great charter schools. We are 20 minutes from Philly Airport, 30 mins from Center City, and a couple hours to BEACHES IN MULTIPLE STATES.

Market Street and center city architecture has so much character that people cannot ignore. The city is pouring tons of money into getting the crime down, and the arts, food and activity seen is growing day by day. Every week there is some parade, festival, loop, celebration open to the public. These activities are only getting more common people!

Inside and just outsisde of Wilmington, you will find, easily, the most exensive homes in the state of Delaware. OK, besides beachfront properties down South – another great feature of delaware)

Westover hills, Wawaset park, Alapocas, Greenville and Hockessin, the Brandywine River have some of the oldest history in our nation. The homes, properties, and land there is just amazing. Many of the homes are easily multi-million dollars.

The easist construction to see is what is happening at the mall. Everyone loves what is happening at the mall. The Christiana Mall development is just a glimpse of what Delaware is turning into. Remember those years of roadwork? Remember the traffic that caused this huge project to begin? Delaware is becoming a popular place and no one wants to admit it. Trader Joes, Not Your Average Joes, The Container Store, Carraba's Italian, Revolutions Entertainment are all signed up. An entire new shopping center with these stores is being built behind Don Pablos. These are huge corporations that have signed long leases in Delaware. If you think Wilmington and the rest of state will not benefit from what is happening in Christiana, you’re wrong!

Have you tried to buy a place on Main Street, Newark? Forget about it! Newark delaware the entire University of Delaware is looking better than ever. Tons of money in redevelopment, tons of things to do, and tons of people. The college is growing in every direction and so is Newark. The outskirts of town seemingly are no longer outskirts! Have any of you looked into an amazing Student community on Elkton Road called "The Retreat" - look it up!

The beaches are a whole new can of worms. Perfect water quality according to recent headlines, and different types of living for types all people. Million dollar beachfront homes, trailers, shacks, single family. If you truly want to live by our beaches, you actually can (for now haha)!

Think King of Prussia - Philly - West Chester.

Now think Christiana Mall - Wilmington - Newark.

Why do you all refuse to see it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 11:45 AM

5 posts, read 11,194 times
As a former Dupont Brat, a term I had not heard until we moved to Newark, Newark was the best place we ever lived. Just for a time frame, I was in HighSchool, a freshman, when Kennedy was shot....that would be John F..... Other than Georgia, Augusta---Kentucky, Louisville----Concord, California---- Waverly Tennessee----Bridge City, Texas,---- Bon Air, Virginia, ----Newark,Delaware---- Martinsville, Virginia- where I graduated High School, the only unfriendly place I ever lived. I graduated from U of NC @ Greensboro, I also worked in Central America, South America and my favorite.....The Cross River State of Nigeria in the employ of ITT Nigeria Ltd, Telephone Outside Plant. Our camp was on the road between Uyo and Abak, about 2.5 miles away from Abak, I would walk to Abak most Sundays, it always drew a crowd, the locals were not used to seeing a white guy walking on the side of the road in a t-shirt, and cut off blue jeans (way too hot to be wearing long pants)on my trek to the River, after all, nothing really has a name until some white guy gives it one. Unfortunately that train of thought still exists. While swimming I noticed the children resting in the tops of the trees. The natives called it the Qua Ibo River, the maps say it is the Cross River, given to it by a group of Christians no doubt. I asked why the children were in the tops of the trees, the man I asked, looked at me then smiled and gave a one word answer...."Crocodiles!!" If anyone would like to read more, kindly let me know, I have a whole lot of Africa stories, Africa lends itself well to storytelling!!

Last edited by G. Thomas Rhodes; 10-27-2014 at 11:53 AM..

Old 10-27-2014, 02:51 PM

201 posts, read 351,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c65 View Post
The easist construction to see is what is happening at the mall. Everyone loves what is happening at the mall. The Christiana Mall development is just a glimpse of what Delaware is turning into. Remember those years of roadwork? Remember the traffic that caused this huge project to begin?
You think we had bad traffic before -- imagine the area around Christiana Mall, particularly during the holiday shopping season, with a movie theater and brand new shopping complex with very little additional parking added. It already takes an hour to get in and out during the peak of the season, and that's before those things open.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:30 PM

6,865 posts, read 7,813,769 times
Reps to the OP! It's refreshing to read something positive about Wilmington on these pages. The trolls may arrive shortly to disparage Delaware's only city, but you've offered a nice update of the progress the city is making to right itself, so cheers to you!

I only have one concern over all the businesses being attracted to the Chrisitana Mall area. I just returned home to Philly a few hours ago after visitng family in Seaford and love that the "fly over" from Route 1 to 95 is finally open after all those years of construction. Please someone tell me that it's not going to be backed up once again with construction of new stores followed by hordes of additional shoppers once these stores open.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:14 PM

401 posts, read 531,478 times
I always considered Delaware a suburb of New York.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:55 PM

Here's a link to the company buildling "Christiana Fashion Center" - check the site plan.

Spoiler
http://www.alliedretailprop.com/info/christianafashioncenter

Old 10-28-2014, 05:55 AM

A starbucks just opened last week by market street and they are already building a second one by the riverfront!

Old 10-28-2014, 10:07 AM

3,466 posts, read 3,152,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Reps to the OP! It's refreshing to read something positive about Wilmington on these pages. The trolls may arrive shortly to disparage Delaware's only city, but you've offered a nice update of the progress the city is making to right itself, so cheers to you!

I only have one concern over all the businesses being attracted to the Chrisitana Mall area. I just returned home to Philly a few hours ago after visitng family in Seaford and love that the "fly over" from Route 1 to 95 is finally open after all those years of construction. Please someone tell me that it's not going to be backed up once again with construction of new stores followed by hordes of additional shoppers once these stores open.
Of course it's going to be backed up, the construction is always one lane behind what it should be and they're running out of room for extra lanes. I've gone to that mall for 30 years so I have an idea what's going on.

As for Wilmington, I also have some expertise on that city since I lived there and Claymont for 18 years, as long as Wilmington is one of the most dangerous cities in America, it's going to have a stigma attached to it.
Outside of east Wilmington, it's actually a fine city.

All of our friends went to Middletown or crossed the line into PA for schools because of bussing, we came to the beach where our children's education isn't dictated by Pastors who only look out for certain kids needs.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:00 AM

263 posts, read 321,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c65 View Post

Everyone wants to hate on Wilmington, but in reality, there just isnt't enough housing to satisfy what the city needs. These recent developments will help ascend Wilmington into greater times. There are tons of great restaurants, new and old, a brand new I-MAX theater, a new Westin hotel (many overlook the status of that), and great charter schools. We are 20 minutes from Philly Airport, 30 mins from Center City, and a couple hours to BEACHES IN MULTIPLE STATES.

Why do you all refuse to see it!
I respectfully disagree with you on one point and that is "Everyone wants to hate on Wilmington."

The average resident, I would dare to say, throughout Delaware wants nothing but success for the largest city. In order to improve an area, one must be honest with him or herself by acknowledging the structural issues that need to be fixed that contribute to the violent crime that causes many to stay away from the city of Wilmington.

These things include

- a serious drug problem (Heroine and others)
- repeat violent offenders who seem to be back on the street committing other violent crimes
while awaiting trial or on parole. It is not until such a person escalates (homicide)
that he is finally removed from the streets (in jail)
- economic opportunity for those near the poverty line whether training, manufacturing jobs,
blue collar, grey collar jobs
- increased ownership- drive through the troubled sections of wilmington and see the vacant
houses. Yes, the City is working to get abandoned blighted properties demolished and either
re-developed or turned into green space.
- inadequate drug treatment facilities. Only an handful of beds in New Castle County.
The Governor just announced 16 additional beds in "lower" Delaware. Given the heroine
epidemic, the number of beds is sorely inadequate
- young men (teenagers) who resort to violence (fights/guns/etc) versus learning conflict resolution.

and a number of other things. I think the developments are wonderful and cleaning up
the violent crime issues and improving the perception of Wilmington's city core would go
a long way with both economic development and visitors, essentially "clean it up, and they will come."
I saw this in NYC in the 80's.
This is not to say that there is nothing to be desired. The restaurant and arts/entertainment community
has been steadily developing with many fantastic venues.

So absolutely, people are rooting for Wilmington's success and I believe everyone wants strong cities
but you need to acknowledge the real issues that affect both Wilmington and everyone
else in Delaware.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:31 PM

350 posts, read 352,889 times
C65, thanks for the update on Wilmington. We are new to Delaware (the beach area) and so far my only interaction with the city has been Christiana Mall (very nice!), and the airport (technically in Newark I believe, but God bless Frontier's $49 airfares to Chicago), but we will plan some trips to the city to enjoy some of the areas that you mention.

Having lived in a number of different cities (Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Memphis, Cincinnati, Minneapolis, and Chicago) I agree that all places have good and not-so-good parts. Sounds like Wilmington is proactively working to upgrade its not-so-good areas, and we are rooting for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or