U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2017, 05:48 PM

1,764 posts, read 3,045,364 times

Advertisements

I think DelDOT goes above and beyond with their brine treatment and then salting. In fact, I think they get a bit carried away with the brine. Perhaps people learning how to drive better or just staying off the roads if they don't need to travel would be a more sensible, cheaper, safer, and cost efficient idea than brine, brine, brine. I think the rain washed most of it washed away before the snow came anyhow.

Lots of truth to the schools closing comment, Nuts!!! LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 05:49 PM

1,764 posts, read 3,045,364 times
Elliedee--no worries about salting or plowing, they do a great job. You'll have salt on your car for weeks!!!

Old 01-30-2017, 06:31 PM

1,909 posts, read 1,177,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
They pretreated them yesterday (at least Route 1, for sure). We have enough notice to get out to get food. Also in the event of a major storm the schools close a week in advance here to prepare for them.
When you've got a pre teen living with you... that is not a major selling point. Just kidding. I'd rather see the kids be safe than have the buses get into an accident. Here they never close schools for snow. It could be 2 ft deep but schools will still be open.

My husband will be happy to know he won't starve to death if it snows. I wasn't worried but that was like the major thing on his mind.
He goes into withdrawals if he runs out of Cheez its.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:05 PM

350 posts, read 348,362 times
It is fair to say that they are at a minimum very cautious, and some would say overcautious. Depending on your point of view that can be a good thing or a bad thing.

As we drove past the empty parking lots of the school, it took me back to my high school days when I'd been cramming for a Monday test, only to have the bittersweet result of a snow day. On one hand always happy to have an unexpected day off; on the other hand worrying that all that stuff I crammed in Sunday might leak out of my brain before the test.

As an adult, took the "snow day" and drove my 95 year old Mom from Rehoboth Beach, Delaware to Salisbury, Maryland and back this afternoon to do some shopping at Hobby Lobby and grab a bite to eat. Round trip of about 2 hours driving time. We kept passing through alternating heavy snow flurries (great big flakes, quite beautiful) and then sunshine; then snow, more sun, and finally a spectacular sunset. The road never got anything more than wet, traffic moved at the usual 55 mph. Wonder what all the kids did?

Old 01-31-2017, 07:23 AM

Enjoy.. does it take you long to drive from Lewes to Rehobeth on a normal day? I look at the map to see how far they are from each other, but I'm so bad map reading.. Lol

We're coming down.. yay.. We'll be down in maybe April, May or early June. We're trying to get there before the mad tourist rush to check out some communities. Any suggestions on where to stay somewhere in the Lewes/Rehoboth area. I was looking at vacation condos but I'm not really there for a vacation. Due to food allergies, I need something with a kitchen so I can cook my own food so hotels are out unless they have a kitchenette with stove or at least stove top.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:25 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,001,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
Enjoy.. does it take you long to drive from Lewes to Rehobeth on a normal day? I look at the map to see how far they are from each other, but I'm so bad map reading.. Lol
The Lewes and Rehoboth zip codes adjoin .So that would depend on where you are coming from and where you are going not to mention time of day ,day of week and month. Seriously I live in the Millsboro zip code. It can take over a 1/2 hour to get to the town of Millsboro from my driveway.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
The Lewes and Rehoboth zip codes adjoin .So that would depend on where you are coming from and where you are going not to mention time of day ,day of week and month. Seriously I live in the Millsboro zip code. It can take over a 1/2 hour to get to the town of Millsboro from my driveway.

LOL.. in my world that's a positive thing. Where I live it takes me a half hour or more any day, time of the week to get to the mall which is only 3 miles away. Forget holidays.. I'm stuck on the highway longer than that and then add another half hour or more just to find parking......

Are you still in Longneck?

Millsboro.. the part that's closest to Lewes and Rehoboth area.. Do you know how far away that is from the beaches?

Old 01-31-2017, 11:26 AM

7,307 posts, read 10,728,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
They pretreated them yesterday (at least Route 1, for sure). We have enough notice to get out to get food. Also in the event of a major storm the schools close a week in advance here to prepare for them.
Preface: We've never seen one another.....
However, maybe we all need to lose a pound or two, anyway!

Old 01-31-2017, 11:59 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,001,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
[/b]

Are you still in Longneck?

Millsboro.. the part that's closest to Lewes and Rehoboth area.. Do you know how far away that is from the beaches?
Yes. Lived here on Long Neck for 24 years now.
I live in the part of the zip code which would be closer to the beach. From my driveway to Cape Henlopen State Park 1/2 hour on normal weekday. 10 minute walk with dog to beach on Indian River Bay which is in my community. I am saying State Park as you could not pay me to go to the beach in Rehoboth or Dewey during the season.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Preface: We've never seen one another.....
However, maybe we all need to lose a pound or two, anyway!
well, in my case you'd have to add another 49 to that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware