Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 08:12 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesaw73 View Post
Yes I am one of the paranoid ones with all of these recent shark attacks. We were set to go to the Outer Banks in August but I canceled it. That being said, I am looking for vacation ideas where I can relax for a week after my summer session ends it nursing school. I am going to need it! Anyway, can anyone recommend any non-ocean vacations?? I am willing to drive up to 5-6 hours to get there. I have never went anywhere other than the Ocean so I have no clue.
Leesaw, I hope you don't mind that I moved your thread. This is actually not the place for it either since it's not Delaware related, but I thought if I moved it to the community chat forum you would probably get lake suggestions all over the country.

I would first narrow down your area for vacation. How far do you want to travel? When I'm planning a vacation, I tend to look at tripadvisor TripAdvisor: Read Reviews, Compare Prices & Book for good suggestions once I know the general area. Think also of what you'll be doing in the water. If you'd like to do a lot of swimming, you'll want a smaller lake where the water is warmer. If it's boating, kayaking, water skiing, etc. that probably doesn't matter so much.

We lived in the Finger Lakes area at one point and loved it. It's beautiful and the lakes are great for water adventures, but because they are so large, the water does not get warm. The Poconos are a little closer and very popular for people in my area. I'm not sure how available summer rentals are now though - many people book their places in the winter for the summer. If you want to go further north Lake Champlain (NY state or Vermont) is beautiful too, but the water will be cold.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 09:37 PM

589 posts, read 1,347,090 times
Plenty of non-ocean vacation spots within an hour or two. New York City. Philadelphia. Baltimore. Washington DC. For history, museums, nightlife, these four cities have it made.

How about Lancaster PA? Or the Poconos? Those are two places we are planning on visiting for our next long weekend getaway.

Lots of package deals for other big touristy places too. Vegas? A cruise? Groupon emailed me just today about a great package at Niagra Falls. Pretty sure that would be shark free.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:22 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,154,462 times
If you like hiking, Shenandoah National Park is nice for a stay of 3 days or more. You can rent canoes and kayaks on the nearby river, do horseback riding along trails, and there are endless trails to explore on foot. You can get package deals where if you stay in one of the lodges or motels in the park, you get a good sit-down breakfast, and can get vouchers to things like the horseback riding and canoeing. Luray Caverns is nearby, and the town of Luray has a lot of antique shops - good for an afternoon of walking around in a quaint little town. It stays relatively cool on the Blue Ridge Mountains, even during summer.

It's not the same as a vacation relaxing by the side of a lake, I know. But it's roughly 4 hours from Wilmington, and does make for a good 3, 4-day-weekend getaway, for any of the newer residents. It's the closest large-scale National Park (not speaking of the national historic sites).

Old 07-13-2015, 12:04 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Probably too late for this year, but some Delaware State Parks have cabins. Camping in Delaware State Parks When I was growing up we would often go to Killens Pond for swimming and boating and I see they have cabins to rent and a swimming pool. Camping at Killens Pond State Park, Felton, Delaware

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:49 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Not too sure where you live but possibly Niagara Falls and/or Lake George - time-wise though, it is prob. more than 5-6 hrs

In PA, there's also the Great Wolf Lodge (something like that, Im sure you can google it) which looks to be a very nice family vacation w/ activities right there, a bit pricey possibly though.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:09 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,917 times
After a record warm December we are getting to feel a little winter. Temp not above freezing today. A couple of inches of snow on the ground now and a major storm (maybe) this weekend. Oh well soon enough we will be complaining about beach traffic.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:54 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,917 times
In watching the weather forecast for this weekend NORTHERN has become one of my favorite words.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:55 AM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
In watching the weather forecast for this weekend NORTHERN has become one of my favorite words.

Who knows how this will turn out? I've been working outside in the weather since 9 a.m., stopping back at the office for lunch, and will head out for more field work in a few minutes. I'm making an attempt to have plenty of computer work lined up, when, and if we get snowed in. Of course, if "the lectric goes off" that's another story. Speaking of that phrase, we have always referred to power outtages in Delaware as "the lectric went off" !
Since the daughter has moved to PA, she speaks in a more refined manner....."we lost power".
Oh, my.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:01 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Who knows how this will turn out? I've been working outside in the weather since 9 a.m., stopping back at the office for lunch, and will head out for more field work in a few minutes. I'm making an attempt to have plenty of computer work lined up, when, and if we get snowed in. Of course, if "the lectric goes off" that's another story. Speaking of that phrase, we have always referred to power outtages in Delaware as "the lectric went off" !
Since the daughter has moved to PA, she speaks in a more refined manner....."we lost power".
Oh, my.

You need not worry till she starts to say "they went off the grid".

Old 01-22-2016, 06:01 PM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
You need not worry till she starts to say "they went off the grid".
LOL! That's a new one on me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware