U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 09:14 PM

12,589 posts, read 27,961,163 times

Advertisements

Saying hello from PA! We officially got 31" today and snow drifts made it quite a bit higher in spots Fortunately, the power stayed on so it was kinda cozy. For me at least, my husband had to snowblow our driveway twice! Tomorrow, we'll hit our sidewalks.

I've been seeing posts all day from my old HS classmates that live downstate and it looks pretty bad. My hometown of Milford flooded when the Mispillion ran over its banks. The pictures of Rehoboth, Lewes and Dewey are incredible. I hope all of our Delaware posters are safe and sound.

Lewes-Rehoboth Canal spills over into Lewes - CapeGazette.com - Covering Delaware's Cape Region - Inland Bays, Atlantic Ocean, Rehoboth Beach, Lewes, Milton, Dewey Beach, USA

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 06:36 AM

7,297 posts, read 10,722,627 times
Hi, Toobusy! Always good to hear from you.....ah, er ......I mean when it's not a job-related note!

We're fine here at our house near Dover, streets are clear in our town, driveway and sidewalks are clear, and we had a little wind yesterday, but nothing major. Car is running and snow/ice are melting off. Almost.....business as usual. The way I heard it, was, that Kent County would get more snow and wind than the beach areas. Maybe we got more snow? But they had the wind and flooding. I'm not surprised, having seen this scene re-play time after time beginning in the late 40's when I started taking notice. I remember........the beach area and Hurricane Hazel, and so many others...... Well, that's old news...............

Old 01-24-2016, 07:04 AM

12,589 posts, read 27,961,163 times
My husband and I were living in Dewey Beach in 1977-1978 when there was a huge snow storm. I don't think we lost power but the road that we lived on wasn't plowed for several days. The huge difference between that one and yesterdays though was there must not have been a high tide. We lived on a narrow part of Dewey where the Bay was at the end of our street and the Ocean was just two blocks on the other side of the highway. Whenever there was a Nor'easter we always worried about flooding, but when I think of that storm in '78, that wasn't a worry.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:49 AM

4,903 posts, read 2,998,726 times
Here in the Long Neck / Oak Orchard area it varies block by block . We are fine but just a very few blocks from us where I regularly walk my dogs are underwater. The Indian River Volunteer Fire Company has many pictures of the flooding on their web-site.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
My husband and I were living in Dewey Beach in 1977-1978 when there was a huge snow storm. I don't think we lost power but the road that we lived on wasn't plowed for several days. The huge difference between that one and yesterdays though was there must not have been a high tide. We lived on a narrow part of Dewey where the Bay was at the end of our street and the Ocean was just two blocks on the other side of the highway. Whenever there was a Nor'easter we always worried about flooding, but when I think of that storm in '78, that wasn't a worry.

That was a fun one for us, when our son's rock band friends got snowed in with us for 3 days, on a large farm, up a long lane. I never cooked so much in my life! But it was a fun time. Who knows what was going on in that basement

Old 01-24-2016, 12:28 PM

1,764 posts, read 3,043,542 times
Not much snow here, and the roads are fine. However, the wind was really awful Friday night and through Saturday. I have NEVER seen it so windy here in OV in the thirteen years we've been in this house. We have thirty foot tall Leland cypress trees around our property, and the ground was so saturated on one side (due to drainage from our neighbor's house soaking the ground) that the strong winds uprooted one of our trees and it landed in the neighbor's yard. Another tree is leaning badly and it will have to come down. I'm upset over my nosy and overbearing neighbor being able to see in our backyard more than anything. Time to build that tall fence that the HOA finally said we can build.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:13 PM

4,903 posts, read 2,998,726 times
At least school district is planning ahead... Indian River School District has already cancelled for tomorrow!!! (Monday)

Old 01-24-2016, 07:03 PM

350 posts, read 348,033 times
About a mile or two inland in Lewes (near Cape Henlopen High School) we had lots of wind but never much snow accumulation. Probably a few inches overnight Friday which was washed away by the rain, and then another inch or two Saturday night. Roads in private development were plowed about 6 a.m. Sunday morning, and with the sun, clear and dry by 8 a.m.

Drove into downtown Lewes Sunday around noon and everything seemed pretty normal in the business district. No problem driving to Lewes Beach; not as much sand in the parking lot as last storm, but a few of the side streets were still closed due to flooding. The uprooted tree along Gills Neck featured in the Cape Gazette article was the biggest casualty we could see in the Lewes area.

Next drove to Rehoboth Beach and lots of people walking along boardwalk taking pictures. A couple inches of sand in a lot of places on the boardwalk but didn't look like any businesses were impacted. As for the beach, lots of fencing down and beach erosion. Hope Rehoboth doesn't get hit with more strong waves/storms before the dunes can be replenished because in a lot of places there isn't much dunes at all between the water and the boardwalk.

Many folks were frequenting the restaurants at lunch time in Lewes, Rehoboth, and along Route 1.

Looks like we were pretty lucky compared to a lot of folks in D.C., Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, Pennsylvania, etc. Hope everyone on Boards remains safe and sound.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:44 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,750,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Hey Joe.....I hollered over there to you, and got no response! You must have had your windows shut!
My ears have been frozen! Had to keep a path clear for the dog!

Old 01-25-2016, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramble Tamble View Post
This was no blizzard.

This was a Blizzard:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...izzard_of_1966

I was living in Delaware at the time (north of Middletown). We had a 1963 Chevy Impala and it was buried in snow. New York had over 100 inches. Our current media would go bananas with a storm of that magnitude today.
I remember that one, too. Here in Kent County, we got lucky. We measured a little over 12 inches here in Kent County Saturday.
Christmas Eve 1966 Snowstorm | WeatherWorks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware