U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 12:28 PM

14 posts, read 27,754 times

Advertisements

I'm a college student looking for a new school, and alot of where I went wrong last time was the area, more in terms of types of people and things to do. I would love to go to UVM or Champlian College because they are in burlington VT, and I love the feel of that town, but can't handle the cold. Anyone familiar with towns like Burlington or Northampton, MA know of any where in delaware that compares? Or anywhere south more for that matter?? Im looking for a laid back almost psuedo hippie feel like there and also an aspect of outdoor appreciation where i wont have to wear 2 million layers to walk to classes haha any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 11:10 PM

902 posts, read 3,213,685 times
Our family is too new to the area for me to speak knowledgeably about colleges. I will say it seems your description (psuedo hippie feel) fits a lot of this state. Cool with me, as I am from the "original" hippie era. And we are experiencing our first "real" winter this year, so I can relate to the 2 mil layers concept!

I think you may find more replies if you post your educational/major interests... some of the regular posters have been in DE their whole life and can better guide you than me. My impression of the various U-Del locations give me an idea that you might like that network. We've never lived in VT, but were considering the Burlington area prior to deciding on DE with this move. We opted out of VT for the very reasons you're looking to fly south... its too cold for our NC blood!

I look forward to seeing your posts, and welcome to the forum!

Mary

Old 01-03-2008, 08:03 AM

957 posts, read 3,324,733 times
I moved here from Central NH. If you're looking for the typical quaint New England town, that doesn't exist in DE. DE could be compared more to the south than New England. DE does offer better weather if you don't like snow. It gets cold here but it is not nearly the arctic wasteland that is Northern New England in the winter. It doesn't snow and there is only a month or so of really cold weather. DE has no mountains. The biggest hill in Sussex county is the landfill, so if New England scenery is your thing, you won't like DE at all. The job market and housing costs are also higher than one would expect for a relatively poor state with lower than average wages.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:41 PM

Hi Rossc... hadn't seen you post in a while. Hope all is well with you and yours!

I have an online friend in another forum that moved from Nashua, NH to the Raleigh, NC area... what a small world! From what little I know of VT and NH, you put the right info out to the original poster. New England is beautiful, but winters CAN be long and brutal. Originally from Ohio, I've had my fill of those!

Glad to see you back onboard!

Mary

Old 01-04-2008, 07:10 AM

I'm hibernating right now. Winters are nothing like New England, but it's still not sipping margaritas on a beach in the Keys. I lived in Raleigh for 10 years. I spent the 80's there. I really liked it.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:12 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,547,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
what little I know of VT and NH, you put the right info out to the original poster. New England is beautiful, but winters CAN be long and brutal. Originally from Ohio, I've had my fill of those!
Mary

My daughter lives in Maine and it is brutal this year. They left Wed to go back to yards of snow.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:20 AM

I was in Manchester for Christmas. 2 feet of snow. I'm happy now to see snow on TV. I don't need to see it in person.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:34 AM

7,966 posts, read 18,044,996 times
I went to the University of Delaware in Newark albeit in the midst of the elder Bush's presidency. It's arguably the best school in the state but it's definitely not the crunchy granola, laid-back vibe that the OP is looking for. Not to discourage you from DE, but UNC-Asheville may be a good choice. The winters are certainly mild there. And it's definitely laid back. You'll even have the Smoky Mountains nearby although I don't know if or how one might go skiing up there.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:52 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,547,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I Not to discourage you from DE, but UNC-Asheville may be a good choice. The winters are certainly mild there. And it's definitely laid back. You'll even have the Smoky Mountains nearby although I don't know if or how one might go skiing up there.
Ah, thanks for the reminder. We are planning to visit Asheville in Feb. I have go to call
AAA to map out the trip.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:01 PM

UNC-Asheville is a beautiful campus... my 17 yr old daughter is considering that school. Also, Appalachian State (also part of the UNC system) is in Boone, a quaint town in the mountains of NC. Both are similar to the campus described by the original post.

Elizamary... please tell me you are going to the Vanderbilt mansion while you're in Asheville... Biltmore Estate. Can't go all the way there and skip that one! Be prepared for snow, as that part of NC gets quite a bit.

As for skiing/snowboarding, etc.... as a former NC resident, I will tell you there are several slopes all along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Winter sports are becoming a big thing in the western portion of NC; just depends on what the OP is interested in.

Mary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or