U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 10:57 PM

20 posts, read 86,911 times

Advertisements

Well the crime in middletown is nothing to worry about they just built its own City police force to patrol the streets and if you cant find the house with the land you want try looking into Bear or Glasgow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 04:06 PM

405 posts, read 1,250,838 times
I'll have to check out Glasgow I haven't heard of that town. Are the crime rates high because of some areas bad and they skew the statistics?

Old 01-09-2008, 08:31 PM

902 posts, read 3,214,977 times
One thing I've noticed in all my research is that at least here in DE, the "town" limits are small, but the outlying areas that the post office serves can be much larger. So when a newcomer looks at, say Camden, they think of a town about 3 miles square (I'm sure I'm off in accuracy, just making a point). However, the complete geographic area known as Camden by the mail delivery people might be more like 15 square miles. So it really is how the data is presented, and how each person interprets the data.

Where was I going with this? Oh yeah, the internet can be a great tool to search, but keep in mind the information is only as accurate as the people entering the data. In the same token, the same information can be skewed so far out of proportion one doesn't know what to believe!

Charley had a great approach... when you are in the area, poll folks at the local grocery store!

Mary

Old 01-10-2008, 09:47 PM

That's a good point I didn't think about it that way. I can tell you it's very frustrating being all the way over here not being able to research in person. If we didn't have 6 dogs I would be on a plane tomorrow and stay with my my second mom, (I have 2 moms and 2 dads) in NJ (she's going to move to DE too) and we would know about all the towns before our house sells.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:08 AM

902 posts, read 3,214,977 times
Laural, I don't recall if you mentioned whether or not you have kids... are schools an issue for you? Perhaps with all the dogs, you should get a kennel license when you and hubby get here... now that would be a good "work from home" business that would be right up your alley!

Mary

Old 01-11-2008, 05:51 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,552,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laural View Post
That's a good point I didn't think about it that way. I can tell you it's very frustrating being all the way over here not being able to research in person. If we didn't have 6 dogs I would be on a plane tomorrow and stay with my my second mom, (I have 2 moms and 2 dads) in NJ (she's going to move to DE too) and we would know about all the towns before our house sells.
You have six dogs? Buying a farm
Just kidding.
There are folks around here that have a few dogs, cats and a horse.

They have their yard fenced so the horse can putter outside and gallop or whatever horses do.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
Laural, I don't recall if you mentioned whether or not you have kids... are schools an issue for you? Perhaps with all the dogs, you should get a kennel license when you and hubby get here... now that would be a good "work from home" business that would be right up your alley!

Mary

I have a son 24 in the Air Force. I use to run a rescue group and let me tell you it's a lot of work, I have some health problems now so I had to give it up, but 3 of my dogs are rescues and I love them to pieces.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
You have six dogs? Buying a farm
Just kidding.
There are folks around here that have a few dogs, cats and a horse.

They have their yard fenced so the horse can putter outside and gallop or whatever horses do.
You laugh but it's in my query, and the only farms that come up are farms that were owned by Amish people that need to be converted over to electricity. So nope not against farms. Maybe I could put stables on it and charge people to board their horses. Of course I wouldn't clean the stables I would hire someone to do that, after all I'm a city girl horses are smelly. LOL

Old 01-12-2008, 06:28 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,552,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laural View Post
I have a son 24 in the Air Force. I use to run a rescue group and let me tell you it's a lot of work, I have some health problems now so I had to give it up, but 3 of my dogs are rescues and I love them to pieces.
Hi Laurel,

Is your son out of Dover air force base? Just wondering. A lot of military live in this area.
So you are an animal lover..............so am I. Big time. don't have a lot of animals cuz I can't care for them but we have 2 cats.
My neighbor says my cats don't know their cats. They think they are people.
We come home and yell "hey kids, were home". they come running out and if we have bags, they think there is a treat or toy for them.

We just moved from Philly to Magnolia not far from the base. Like Mary had said, there are so many little towns. And I mean small towns all around.
We went back to philly yesterday and I have to say the ride was nerve racking.
It is not far and about an hour an a half ride but I personally hate it where rt 1 meets 95. It rattles my nerves plus it was raining.
Just wanted to share that cuz I know you said you hubby has to travel back and forth.
Now PA and her hub go back but I dont' think she minds the ride that much.
What say you PA?

Old 01-12-2008, 08:14 AM

693 posts, read 2,613,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
Hi Laurel,

It is not far and about an hour an a half ride but I personally hate it where rt 1 meets 95. It rattles my nerves plus it was raining.
Just wanted to share that cuz I know you said you hubby has to travel back and forth.
Now PA and her hub go back but I dont' think she minds the ride that much.
What say you PA?

I agree. The I95 split is the only concern I have. I'm trying to find a way around it to get on I495. I know there is. But for someone coming from CA, this will not be a problem. They are used to it. MDH says that Californians are the best drivers in the country. His Mom was required to take her driving test on a regular basis. They do not do that here and should. MHO...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware