Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 12:40 PM

16,199 posts, read 11,635,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by from PA View Post
I agree. The I95 split is the only concern I have. I'm trying to find a way around it to get on I495. I know there is. But for someone coming from CA, this will not be a problem. They are used to it. MDH says that Californians are the best drivers in the country. His Mom was required to take her driving test on a regular basis. They do not do that here and should. MHO...

495 is not bad but it is right before and right after that rattles my nerves.
Let me know if you do find a way around it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 01:40 PM

405 posts, read 1,370,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
Hi Laurel,

Is your son out of Dover air force base? Just wondering. A lot of military live in this area.
So you are an animal lover..............so am I. Big time. don't have a lot of animals cuz I can't care for them but we have 2 cats.
My neighbor says my cats don't know their cats. They think they are people.
We come home and yell "hey kids, were home". they come running out and if we have bags, they think there is a treat or toy for them.

We just moved from Philly to Magnolia not far from the base. Like Mary had said, there are so many little towns. And I mean small towns all around.
We went back to philly yesterday and I have to say the ride was nerve racking.
It is not far and about an hour an a half ride but I personally hate it where rt 1 meets 95. It rattles my nerves plus it was raining.
Just wanted to share that cuz I know you said you hubby has to travel back and forth.
Now PA and her hub go back but I dont' think she minds the ride that much.
What say you PA?
Currently my son is based in South Dakota, I wished he was at Dover, but he will be out in October than he will start school in San Francisco.

I'm a huge animal lover, yup we call our dogs our kids, and they think they are people too, people can't believe they hug it's pretty funny.

I think I'm pretty good about battling traffic, got that living in CA. So I think I will be ok if I drive North in DE.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:52 PM

903 posts, read 3,494,892 times
Laural, so you queried "farms" and got some Amish farm listings? Hubby & I were talking this past weekend about the prospect of getting one of those and modernizing it! Gotta make sure we stay in the same school district, as we love where the boys are and don't want to change that!

Sorry for being a ditz about you're having a son... I knew you had posted it elsewhere and I just had a memory lapse on another of my posts. As elizamary said, LOTS of military around here, active duty and otherwise. Part of why my folks are planning on moving here.. while dad is retired Navy, the area is very good for veterans. So dad is really looking forward to this environment.

Gotta love the pets! We have had dogs and a few cats, but hubby is allergic to cat dander so that one is out. Unless we end up with a barn cat or something! Can't have either here, as it is in our lease. We fully intend on 2 dogs soon after we buy a home in the fall (hopefully). I'll have to check with you about the rescue thing when the time comes.

Mary

Old 01-15-2008, 03:06 AM

9,690 posts, read 14,167,677 times
It's so hard to find the perfect place, in any state. In the Middletown-Glasgow area, you will be closer to the metropolitan area, but of course, the traffic comes with it. Down here in the Kent area, traffic is not as bad, and 3 minutes out of Dover you're in Amish country. Then in Sussex, of course, the farther down you go the higher the prices because of the beach. About Amish farms, there are some for sale but they are just that, farms with 50-150 acres or so of land to till, plant and harvest. You'd be surprised just how big 1-2-3 acres really is, but you'll find out when the grass starts growing. There are plenty of those "farmettes" for sale. The Amish have caught on, and most of the time, now when they build houses, they rough-in the plumbing and electric, considering a future sale. I've been in many Amish homes.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
Laural, so you queried "farms" and got some Amish farm listings?
Yup got some not a lot. They weren't as cheap as I thought they might be, then I was thinking what would they do with all that money since they are suppose to live modestly

Old 01-17-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
I've been in many Amish homes.
Delly do you know a lot of Amish?

Old 01-18-2008, 12:28 AM

9,690 posts, read 14,167,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laural View Post
Delly do you know a lot of Amish?
Yes, the ones in our immediate area.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:41 AM

903 posts, read 3,494,892 times
Actually, Laural, the few Amish families I have come to know in our short time here, for the most part, DO live modestly. But there are many factors in their family dynamics that feed into their need for money, just like the rest of us.

I do not mind doing business with the Amish, as in our little bit of experience they have all been very fair. What I find is greed is not their motivation, just the old fashioned value of providing for their family. THAT philosophy still pushes my smile button.

Delly... I think I want to go to lunch with just you one day! Or at least have you over for coffee and cake! I sense you are a wealth of information, and I am the sponge!

Mary

Old 01-18-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
But there are many factors in their family dynamics that feed into their need for money, just like the rest of us

Mary
You'll have to forgive me being naive I know nothing about them accept what I see on tv. What do they use money for? I always thought they were pretty much self sufficient.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
Yes, the ones in our immediate area.
Another naive question, I thought they don't associate with outsiders. What are they like? Do they really don't like their pictures taken?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware