U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 06:40 PM

15 posts, read 48,444 times

Advertisements

Greetings Laural,

I hope all is well. You will love moving to Delaware. I have lived in Philadelphia and Miami and don't get me wrong, I simply loved Miami. To my surprise Delaware has had a lot to offer me and my family. It is going to be an adjustment but certainly one you will not regret. If you have any questions please feel free to forward them.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 07:14 PM

7,321 posts, read 10,752,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laural View Post
Another naive question, I thought they don't associate with outsiders. What are they like? Do they really don't like their pictures taken?
Let me tell you, Laural. When we were having this huge housing boom of new construction (which slowed down in late 2007), many Amish were hired for many years to work on the new houses, either pouring driveways/sidewalks, framing, putting on roofs, etc. The guy who hires them goes and picks them up and takes them home at night. I know plenty of people who make money by picking them up and taking them to WalMart to grocery shop. They will not let you take their picture. They are not sheltered, and they are like us.....not perfect.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
You'll have to forgive me being naive I know nothing about them accept what I see on tv. What do they use money for? I always thought they were pretty much self sufficient.
They buy groceries at WalMart, and at local stores, they shop at the Mall, they buy seed to plant, they buy land and grow crops, they make and sell cabinets and furniture ... to us. They buy materials and make their buggys, they buy and breed horses, cows, pigs, chickens. They buy fabric to make their clothes, they buy their shoes. It goes on and on.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:07 AM

19,922 posts, read 9,973,642 times
Quote:
Another naive question, I thought they don't associate with outsiders. What are they like? Do they really don't like their pictures taken?
My parents told me a story about an experience with an Amish gentleman in Pennsylvania. My parents were driving and were lost. They pulled up next to this gentleman and asked him for directions. He took one deliberate step back, looked away from the car until they drove away, and then in the rear view mirror, my father saw him take one step forward again.

Now this was an Amish sect in Pennsylvania. This is NOT what I've experienced in my limited time in Delaware. I believe that the sect around Dover are Mennonite. They are a bit more integrated into society but do not drive or I'm not sure about allowing pictures taken of them.

I believe that many of the Amish folks who work at Spence's are from the Mennonite sect and they have always appeared friendly, cordial and helpful. I would ABSOLUTELY choose to have Mennonite neighbors as they are quiet, peaceful and good to the land. I can't imagine ever having to see the police called because of a loud beer party at an Amish home at 3AM on a Sunday morning.

Charley

Old 01-19-2008, 08:24 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,546,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
I believe that many of the Amish folks who work at Spence's are from the Mennonite sect and they have always appeared friendly, cordial and helpful. I would ABSOLUTELY choose to have Mennonite neighbors as they are quiet, peaceful and good to the land. I can't imagine ever having to see the police called because of a loud beer party at an Amish home at 3AM on a Sunday morning.

Charley
We have Amish working at Southen Meadows. I have noticed the now ride in a car.
These guys mostly do the cementing and they are darn good too.

One of my neighbors came from South Dakota and they had something like an amish that were a menace in SD.........So she says.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:26 AM

4,127 posts, read 13,264,385 times
One of the Walmarts in PA even has a designated parking area for horses and buggies. Coming from a busier area, we were surprised to see that as well as women riding bikes in long dresses on the country roads. Later mentioned the designated parking area to a friend who relocated to large retirement area in FL and she said their Walmarts has a designated parking area too - for those driving golf carts <G>. Back to the question, I too would have no qualms about having them as neighbors, they seem quiet and considerate which is important IMO.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
My parents told me a story about an experience with an Amish gentleman in Pennsylvania. My parents were driving and were lost. They pulled up next to this gentleman and asked him for directions. He took one deliberate step back, looked away from the car until they drove away, and then in the rear view mirror, my father saw him take one step forward again.

Now this was an Amish sect in Pennsylvania. This is NOT what I've experienced in my limited time in Delaware. I believe that the sect around Dover are Mennonite. They are a bit more integrated into society but do not drive or I'm not sure about allowing pictures taken of them.

Charley
Charlie, we have mostly Amish here around Dover, not Mennonites. Mennonites, mostly, are in and around Greenwood, Delaware. Those in Greenwood wear modest "street" clothes, but the women always wear their little white caps. Our Amish wear the full Amish attire, and live a true Amish life. There are some Mennonites at Bylers Country Store, west of Dover, and I think the store is Mennonite owned. Those at Spence's are imports from Pennsylvania, more business like, and they come in a minivan from PA every Tuesday and Friday. On occasion, a local Amish family will rent a table at Spences and sell flowers or baked goods, but those inside the brick building are not from here. Up in Philly, a couple of years ago, I had lunch with my daughter at the train station and the coffee shop was run by Amish. A local lady was sitting next to me and I asked how they managed to commute to the City each day to sell their baked goods, etc. She had a surprised look. "oh, they live on the 4th floor" she said! Everything is not always what it appears. and.....Walmart's in Camden has a designated parking area for Amish buggies, as well as the Wyoming Bank.

Last edited by rdlr; 01-19-2008 at 09:35 AM..

Old 01-19-2008, 09:57 AM

19,922 posts, read 9,973,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
Charlie, we have mostly Amish here around Dover, not Mennonites. Mennonites, mostly, are in and around Greenwood, Delaware. Those in Greenwood wear modest "street" clothes, but the women always wear their little white caps. Our Amish wear the full Amish attire, and live a true Amish life. There are some Mennonites at Bylers Country Store, west of Dover, and I think the store is Mennonite owned. Those at Spence's are imports from Pennsylvania, more business like, and they come in a minivan from PA every Tuesday and Friday. On occasion, a local Amish family will rent a table at Spences and sell flowers or baked goods, but those inside the brick building are not from here. Up in Philly, a couple of years ago, I had lunch with my daughter at the train station and the coffee shop was run by Amish. A local lady was sitting next to me and I asked how they managed to commute to the City each day to sell their baked goods, etc. She had a surprised look. "oh, they live on the 4th floor" she said! Everything is not always what it appears. and.....Walmart's in Camden has a designated parking area for Amish buggies, as well as the Wyoming Bank.
Thanks for the clarification, Delly. Whoever they are ... I like them!

Charley

Old 01-19-2008, 02:51 PM

405 posts, read 1,250,103 times
Quote:
as they are quiet, peaceful and good to the land. I can't imagine ever having to see the police called because of a loud beer party at an Amish home at 3AM on a Sunday morning.

Charley

Oh gawd they would hate living next to us then all our wild parties, bikers and police raids... JUST KIDDING.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:56 PM

405 posts, read 1,250,103 times
You know, I didn't realize they were so integrated into the community. That's cool. I remember seeing them when we vacationed in PA. I was so fascinated by them, I still have my amish dolls from all those years ago. Our
5th wheel was supposedly put together by amish people. I always thought that was a gimmick but maybe it's true after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware