U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 11:07 AM

2 posts, read 5,604 times

Advertisements

From NY myself I would suggest looking from Middletown and north within the state. You can easily get a nice house with property for 300-400k. Middletown is growing like crazy, but from once a rural area to now a suburban area. Traffic is nothing compared to any metro area. In Middletown you are about 20 mins from I95 access - if you move closer to newark you can be right off 95 which is nice for access to wilmington and philly. There is great parks for hiking /biking in Newark and in the Brandywine area (Also a beautiful- more expensive area). Again, relative to any metro area the whole area is very safe especially Middletown. The only downside is that there really isn't a nice downtown area in middletown to walk and spend the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 09:29 PM

405 posts, read 1,252,406 times
We are looking for a lot 1/2 an acre or larger so 350k is lowest before the houses are crap. We are looking for a change so we wouldn't mind rural. Is Newark and New Castle nice?

Old 01-28-2008, 08:59 PM

902 posts, read 3,219,083 times
I believe the further north you go in DE, the less rural areas you find. And from what I have been able to see, once you go "north of the canal" the development has grown even more. Part of why we focused south of Dover... to stay away from the urban sprawl.

As I have seen referenced many times on this forum alone, you will find you get more bang for your buck south of the canal. The opportunity to find acreage at a more reasonable price will be greater "down south" as well. If you want more urban area, I've seen and read of many areas of Newark and New Castle are very nice.

I know you are trying to stay within a reasonable commute for hubby, and you will experience what I refer to when you are able to visit the area. When we were visiting DE prior to our move, we stayed at AmericInn... sometimes the location in Harrington, sometimes the one in Bear. Both very nice rooms, and pretty accessible to explore the greater Dover area (which, as you know we were targeting). From what we saw of Bear, it seems like a nice pocket in New Castle County but still a bit away from the I-95 madness.

Hope that helps!

Mary

Old 01-28-2008, 11:02 PM

405 posts, read 1,252,406 times
I think once we find out more of what hubbys job entails we will have a better idea of where we should live. If he has to drive a lot from the airport or upper PA than we might have to live higher up in DE. I don't want to live in Wilmington. I hear to many bad things and it's what I'm trying to get away from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware