U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 06:15 PM

693 posts, read 2,610,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laural View Post
When I use google earth to see how long it takes to get to a destination it say's it could take and hour to go 38 miles??? Really? Is it because speed limits are really low there. This was on the 1 and 13. Which leads me into the next question, are there a lot of traffic cops or speed traps there?

Something is wrong. Speed limit on RT 1 is at 65 I believe. It moves very well. Never a rush hour but do recommend easy pass. Sometimes the toll booths back up but mostly with weekenders going to and from the beaches.
Nascar weekends the other exceptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 08:58 PM

902 posts, read 3,212,114 times
Something does sound wrong with the info provided by Google Earth. We have done the trip from Camden to the Amtrak station in Wilmington in about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Depends on the time of day, and most of those times we've had rain at least 1 way. I did not think that was bad. I think it is about 45-48 miles, and that was getting off of Route 1 in Red Lion; picked up Route 13 the rest of the way in to the train station.

Route 13 is slower, as it goes through a few towns between Dover and Wilmington.. with the speed limit drops that go along with that. The time quoted sounds more like going Route 13 all the way. But Route 1 is 65 mph almost all the way; I usually lock in cruise at 70 mph and have had no trouble so far.

We have not experienced the beach traffic yet, but I grew up in Va Beach so I don't think it will bother me. Besides, depending on where you actually move to, there are ways around the flow of beach-goers. Now Nascar weekend (which happens twice a year in Dover), traffic is a bit harder to avoid since Dover Downs is between Route 1 and Route 13. Again, the country roads can get you around that too.

Mary

Old 01-10-2008, 09:53 PM

405 posts, read 1,249,610 times
Google earth does tangle them together so I think the path starts out with 13 then it goes on 1, but hubby says if it takes more than 30 minutes to get to New Castle then forget it. Oh well.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:21 AM

It really does depend on how close to Route 1 or 13 you live, and how deep into New Castle he has to go when he gets off the highway. I know I can get from Route 1 at the southern end of Dover to the Christiana Mall in about 40 minutes, not going much over 65 mph all the way. Granted, that does not allow for parking, walking to the building, etc. But strictly drive time... with no trouble.

In NC, I used to commute to Greensboro for years; I drove about 22 miles door to door to the insurance office; on a good day, it took me 35-40 minutes because I had to go through downtown Greensboro. In today's world, 30 to 60 minutes drive time is very common. What on earth does hubby want?????

Mary

Old 01-11-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Google earth does tangle them together so I think the path starts out with 13 then it goes on 1, but hubby says if it takes more than 30 minutes to get to New Castle then forget it. Oh well.
Laural, I'm sure your hubby is fed up with the California freeways by now. I assure you that Rt. 1 is a piece of cake in fact it is a pleasure to drive.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:58 PM

35 posts, read 124,772 times
Quote:
Howdy we will be moving to Delaware, hubby will be working in the city of New Castle so if we lived in say, Dover how long will it take him to get there and what will traffic be like? Would it be a nice drive or a horrible drive?

Thank you

I live in Smyrna and drive to New Castle everyday (1 mile form the Delaware Memorial Bridge). It takes me exactly an hour. If you are coming from North Dover, add about 5 min. If south Dover, add about 15 min.

The drive to New Castle is pleasant, as long as you do not go all the way up Rt. 1 near the Christiana Mall / I-95 interchange. I usually take Rt 1 to Rt. 13 and make a right on Rt. 9. Much quicker and less aggrevating.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles12 View Post
I live in Smyrna and drive to New Castle everyday (1 mile form the Delaware Memorial Bridge). It takes me exactly an hour. If you are coming from North Dover, add about 5 min. If south Dover, add about 15 min.

The drive to New Castle is pleasant, as long as you do not go all the way up Rt. 1 near the Christiana Mall / I-95 interchange. I usually take Rt 1 to Rt. 13 and make a right on Rt. 9. Much quicker and less aggrevating.
It usually takes me 40 or 45 minutes on RT.1 to Christiana from S. of Dover. My feathers get ruffled when merging onto I 95 after Christiana. Is there an easy, back way to avoid that 95 split at Christiana? I use I 495 to eventually hit the Blue Route. Love the drive except for the mess at Christiana and would love to find an easy route around it.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by from PA View Post
Laural, I'm sure your hubby is fed up with the California freeways by now. I assure you that Rt. 1 is a piece of cake in fact it is a pleasure to drive.
Yup that's definitely one reason.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
What on earth does hubby want?????

Mary
He doesn't know how often he'll need to travel to Philly, so that will add to his commute to, then on top of that I have some health issues and he doesn't want to be to far away.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:38 PM

I was only half teasing, Laural. As they say... in a perfect world, right?

Extra driving, I totally understand. Especially with gas at $3.00 per gallon (or more), that is a big consideration. Your health issues, I can relate to. Part of the reason we are comfortable being close enough to town to get to Kent General quick, or an ambulance (if need be) can get to US pretty quickly as well.

Too many things to consider in deciding on a move! We're still fine tuning our move... over 4 months into it! Keep your chin up; things will fall into place.

Mary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware