U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-27-2008, 09:08 PM

15,613 posts, read 7,742,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
Sambos? It's the only restaurant in Leipsic. Just drive up and down the 4-5 streets and you'll find it, along the water. In my opinion, there are crab cakes, and there are.....crab cakes. The only ones I eat are the ones home made, and they are not found in Kirby & Holloway. But, I'm picky about my crab cakes! ..... Sambo's, JP's on the Wharf, and those my caterer makes.

Don't knock them if you hadn't tried them Delly. the crab cakes at Kirby and Holloways were highly recomended by different people. I too am fussy about crab cakes and also know a bit about what I like and what I don't like. so when you have a crab cake at Kirby and holloways then you can say whether or not they are home made. Until then, you are not giving a fair analysis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 09:52 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,019,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
Don't knock them if you hadn't tried them Delly. the crab cakes at Kirby and Holloways were highly recomended by different people. I too am fussy about crab cakes and also know a bit about what I like and what I don't like. so when you have a crab cake at Kirby and holloways then you can say whether or not they are home made. Until then, you are not giving a fair analysis.
O.K.
I had one about 6 months ago. If I get the chance, I'll give it another try. In the 50's, Kirby & Holloway was noted for their burgers......best around. But, we usually went to the Dairy Queen (now a cleaners) a few doors up from Kirby & Holloway, because, as skinny teenagers, we could make a meal on a milkshake. Also, back in the 50's, those were the only two places to eat in Dover (Kirby & Holloway and Dairy Queen) and that was when Dover Air Force Base was just arriving. So, we made the trip down from Smyrna, and met the kids from Dover High School. Besides Kirby & Holloway's good burgers, that was the place to show off your '55 Crown Victoria, if you had one. My husband had a '49 Ford clunker, but on Saturdays he would wash his mom/dad's Crown Victoria for them, and he'd borrow it. We'd ride to K & H to show it off on Saturday night, and park it profile style to order one burger, and split it. The skating waitresses would get mad because we'd take up two parking places. And, when he borrowed that Crown Victoria, he wouldn't let the skating waitresses prop the tray up on his mom/dad's shiny car door. Good memories at Kirby & Holloway!

Old 04-28-2008, 06:39 AM

64 posts, read 26,898 times
We really like The Melting Pot, that is probably our number 1 in DE, on Rt. 202

Then I like tex-mex type food, Border Cafe on Rt. 1 is really good for that....

Old 04-28-2008, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase_from_DE View Post

=================================
Chase....I'll be up there before noon today, near 202. Where is that place? I'm familiar with the Border Cafe.....Good!

Old 04-28-2008, 07:49 AM

271 posts, read 677,350 times
Hi all!

Eliza! I can't remember if, in our more than 30 years here, we're eaten at Kirby and Holloway! Probably. As for crabcakes, I've eaten them right out of the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland and thought them not nearly as good as Sambo's. Everyone has different opinions of nearly everything, food included, of course. But Sambo's crabcakes are sweet and delicate pure crabmeat without filler. There's a creamy quality that's hard to describe--you have to taste! It's especially fun for us to get there soon after it opens for lunch, 11:30-ish, before it gets too crowded and noisy. (Closed on Sundays, I think.) On a sunny day, it's lovely to look out on the water and the small marina in little old Leipsic. If you're a history buff, there is at least one cemetery that goes way back. Civil War area and prior to, as I recall.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:03 AM

81 posts, read 344,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase_from_DE View Post

I'm horrible with NCC locations. I'm going with my grandson and his Daddy tomorrow to A.I. DuPont, I know that's not off 202 but will we be close? We ate at Arner's last time, eh, it was ok, I've had better from there.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:04 AM

15,613 posts, read 7,742,582 times
I plan to try Sambos Annie. Kirbys crab cakes are not much filler if any. This is such a ridiculous argument. I know I happen to be a crab cake expert or at least I know what I like. I'm not some country bumpking. I know what I like and I dont' like much filler. But I do plan to try sambos. I try to cut down on the cost of dinning out so we find more reasonable places. I have been a big crab fan for years. Used to get the most delicatable crab salad in a place called Widas on Long Beach Island. OMG to die for. Everyone should not take one persons opinion on likes and dislikes and check it out for themselves.
Thanks for your post Anniblue.

Last edited by elizamary; 04-28-2008 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-28-2008, 08:30 AM

Annie....One of the best high school class reunions we've attended was at Sambo's a couple of years ago. That's not a location I thought would be suitable, but that back room was wonderful with the water view and great food. It was so casual, and our class was small, with only about 60 people, and 30 showing up. We each ordered from the menu, and it was a great time!

Old 04-28-2008, 08:33 AM

Eliza, oops! Truly didn't know it was an "argument" and I so apologize if I came across that way.

It's just that we postponed going to Sambo's for many years, certain that we could find excellent crabcakes elsewhere. I found out I was wrong! But as I said in my post, "Everyone has different opinions of nearly everything, food included." You may find that Sambo's crabcakes are not worth the additional money.

Would never think of a long time Philly resident like you as a country bumpkin, believe me.

Also, we rarely eat out. Several times during Sambo's season is one of the few exceptions we make. Otherwise, we save most dining out for during our occasional leisure trips. (That's why I can't provide much information regarding local restaurants.)

Annie

Old 04-28-2008, 08:37 AM

Delly, a perfect place for your reunion! Relaxed, casual, yummy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware