U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 01-31-2008, 06:58 PM

4,336 posts, read 5,035,500 times
Helen's Sausage House? I've been there once, and it's not my thing. Too much grease and meat for me. But they do a good business there. My parents had the store next door when I was 6-7 years old. Texas Road House in Camden is still my favorite place, even though it's a chain. They serve their fresh made salads in an icy bowl, and the steaks are not enormous. To each his own.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-01-2008, 07:03 AM

15,451 posts, read 7,038,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
Helen's Sausage House? I've been there once, and it's not my thing. Too much grease and meat for me. But they do a good business there. My parents had the store next door when I was 6-7 years old. Texas Road House in Camden is still my favorite place, even though it's a chain. They serve their fresh made salads in an icy bowl, and the steaks are not enormous. To each his own.
Oh yeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssss...........We love texas road house. so darn crowded though. If you dont' get there by 5, you may have a long wait.
We do love their steaks. TH is Bill's favorite and for Christmas, the girls gave him certificates to TH> We got $10 left to spend.
Do you get the steak out of the case or on the menu.
Also, how about that butter.......whoa weeeeeeeeeeee.
Love the blue cheese dressing too. OH hot rolls with cinnomon butter.......
Anyone salvaiting yet? I am and I haven't had breakfast yet.

Unread 02-01-2008, 07:50 AM

Oh, yeah, EM.......!!! Well, not being a good judge of steaks, I don't pick my own. Never had a bad one though. We usually get the Dallas Fillet, medium well, baked sweet potato with cin/butter/nutmeg, and that great salad with super-duper dressing, ice cold! ........and yes, THOSE ROLLS and cinnamon butter!(and a Miller Lite). Lots of people don't like it there because it's too noisy. With me, as long as there isn't a little kid from the next booth beating me on the back of my head with the bread basket, I'm oblivious to what's going on around me, once they set that food in front of me! and EM, call ahead and your wait is minimal, avoiding a seat in the "peanut gallery".

Unread 02-01-2008, 09:36 AM

902 posts, read 2,319,881 times
But Delly, the "peanut gallery" is ever so much fun! I know, I always end up there with the kids! Haven't had a chance to check out Texas Roadhouse in Camden yet, but I'm sure we will love it.

We had a great steakhouse in NC (locally owned) that was awesome... all the peanuts you wanted, and the kids were allowed to stomp the shells on the floor to their hearts content. Only thing was, they didn't have a bar to belly up to, because of liquor license in the town we lived in. Just as well, as I always drove!

Yes, elizamary, I am salivating... and I DID eat breakfast! However, it was just a good bowl of Cheerios, and they are long gone. Hmmm, the rain is slacking off... anyone want to run to Texas Roadhouse???

Mary

Unread 02-01-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
But Delly, the "peanut gallery" is ever so much fun! I know, I always end up there with the kids! Haven't had a chance to check out Texas Roadhouse in Camden yet, but I'm sure we will love it.

Yes, elizamary, I am salivating... and I DID eat breakfast! However, it was just a good bowl of Cheerios, and they are long gone. Hmmm, the rain is slacking off... anyone want to run to Texas Roadhouse???

Mary
I was out with some of the women from my community today. we went to Dover Mall to get our piggies done then lunch.
Was gone all day. We ate at Ruby tues. Salad bar was great.
BTW, cheerios are supposed to make your cheery.
Good for cholestrol too.

Unread 02-01-2008, 04:59 PM

27 posts, read 99,210 times
Smile Best Places in New Castle County

Seems like most of you are talking about Kent or Sussex County. New Castle County has some good restaurants too.

Italian food: Cafe Napoli on Kirkwood Highway. Food is wonderful. They give you huge portions-always having left overs. Owners and staff are always very friendly. They are closed on Sundays though.

Sausage Sandwiches: New Castle Farmers Market. The amish have a shop there. Not in the best part of NCC but Farmers Market is a fun place to go every once in awhile. Sausage sandwiches are great!

Burgers: Charcoal Pit. There are several. Concord Pike, Pike Creek.. and Jakes Burgers. Several of them. Newark, Rt 13 right next to Farmers Market.

Salads and Steaks: Bugaboo Creek in Christiana. They have awesome salads there! Nice family atmosphere.

Hope some will try my suggestions. I miss these restaurants since moving to Florida!

Unread 04-12-2008, 07:02 AM

I thought I would bring this topic back.
There are a couple restaurants I would opinions on
Anyone been to Meddings, Shuckers or Seafood city?
Also,
I have heard pro's and con's on Roma, an italian restauarnt near the base.
How would you rate this?
On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the best.

Unread 04-12-2008, 07:58 AM

271 posts, read 618,943 times
Hi Eliza!

I'm glad to see your keyboard survived that coffee spill!

I'm afraid I can't help at all regarding "Meddings" or Seafood City. Years ago, we thought Roma was pretty good, but at some point, not. Shuckers was a years ago experiment, and we didn't return, but we should give them another chance.

I would like to see a couple excellent restaurants, affordable, come to the Dover area. We'll be seeing the reopening of some of our closed-for-the-winter favorites in Rehoboth soon. We've been there a couple times recently, but just to enjoy the ocean.

Where are Mary and PA? I see Charley hasn't been posting as much either. Of course, I find I can't visit this site, sometimes for a stretch of days, so I suppose I should "allow" others to carry on with their lives!

Unread 04-12-2008, 08:36 AM

19,922 posts, read 6,789,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebleu View Post
I see Charley hasn't been posting as much either.
Hi Annie,

Not posting much as I don't have much to say ... but reading everything.

I love the idea that the "Best Places to Eat" topic is awake again.

Charley

Unread 04-12-2008, 09:42 AM

Just my opinions....
Meddings Ugh! But, was very good 10 years ago. I think they are trying to do too much now. It was all seafood, now I see pork chops on the marquee. Horrible atmosphere, too.

Shuckers Ugh! Everything's fried, and not local seafood. Most locals won't go near the place, and newcomers think they're eating Delaware Bay seafood.

Seafood City Ugh! I went twice. First time fried flounder, which was mushy. Second time was steamed shrimp....mushy!

Roma was the place to go and it was the only Italian restaurant around 20 years ago, or more. I hate to say this, but the Olive Garden has better Italian. I always try to support local, and typically don't like chains....but......

Annie....have you been to the Cultured Pearl in Rehoboth? I've been hearing raves about that place, and I know they closed and are opening across the street....Baltimore Avenue? or someplace?

For crabs, or a crab cake sandwich, and local gossip, I love Sambos!

For a family affair or group....crabs, hodge podge buckets, and swamp water, I love The Boondocks

For beer, snacks and live music....JW's at the Hamlet in Dover, and JP's on the Wharf in North Bowers

Top of the Sheraton was our hangout every Friday night for many years, and they had a nice buffet, and we could also order from the menu. They had a DJ, or band, and a great dance floor. We haven't been in 6 months, so I don't know how it is now, or if it's still open. We had great fun there! But, I digress........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware