Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 07:04 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,040,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
Yep, different strokes, Charlie! Many like Halls Family Restaurant, in Wyoming for breakfast, also. That one comes to mind when thinking of non-chain type places.
Halls Family Restaurant is on my list to try in one of my next visits. So is the Magnolia Diner, although I'm not quite sure where it is. (I'll find it in time )

Charley

P.S. I've eaten at the Smyrna Diner twice and liked it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 07:28 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,668,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
Halls Family Restaurant is on my list to try in one of my next visits. So is the Magnolia Diner, although I'm not quite sure where it is. (I'll find it in time )

Charley

P.S. I've eaten at the Smyrna Diner twice and liked it.
Charley, we ate at the countrie eatery in dover the other day and it was really good.
Magnolia is at the corner of S state st and Irish hill road.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:56 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,040,657 times
Restaurant opinions are always so difficult. I, for example, could never speak highly of a seafood restaurant. I don't really care for seafood. But that doesn't mean there aren't some really great seafood restaurants in the world. They're just not for me.

Now of course, moving to the Delmarva peninsula, I might develop a taste for seafood. One never knows.

Charley

Old 01-13-2008, 08:35 AM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
We have choices, thank goodness! Yep, the Magnolia Restaurant is good, it's in the Town of Magnolia, Charlie, as EM said. Right on the corner and you can't miss it with a pineapple on the front! As far as chains go (guess it's a chain) we like the Texas Roadhouse in the Camden Center. Many say it's too noisey, but when I'm enjoying a meal.......I don't hear anything! (except crying kids, that is). The salads are fresh and served in ice cold bowls! We aren't fans of Hall's, and again, we liked it better when it was Anthony's many years ago. Having been here forever, we compare these restaurants with the previous owners service and quality of food. Or, maybe we weren't as picky then..........do ya think???? A lot of people like Seafood City near Felton. Our favorite place for take-out seafood was Dolphin's, on New Burton Road. We would order 4-5 lbs. of steamed, cleaned and de-veined shrimp 3-4 times a year for our parties. It's closed, and I really miss that place! We are within close proximity (10-15 minutes, max) of all of these choices mentioned, and keep score cards!

Old 01-13-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
We have choices, thank goodness! Yep, the Magnolia Restaurant is good, it's in the Town of Magnolia, Charlie, as EM said. Right on the corner and you can't miss it with a pineapple on the front! As far as chains go (guess it's a chain) we like the Texas Roadhouse in the Camden Center. Many say it's too noisey, but when I'm enjoying a meal.......I don't hear anything! (except crying kids, that is). The salads are fresh and served in ice cold bowls! We aren't fans of Hall's, and again, we liked it better when it was Anthony's many years ago. Having been here forever, we compare these restaurants with the previous owners service and quality of food. Or, maybe we weren't as picky then..........do ya think???? A lot of people like Seafood City near Felton. Our favorite place for take-out seafood was Dolphin's, on New Burton Road. We would order 4-5 lbs. of steamed, cleaned and de-veined shrimp 3-4 times a year for our parties. It's closed, and I really miss that place! We are within close proximity (10-15 minutes, max) of all of these choices mentioned, and keep score cards!

Oh delly, we also love Texas Rhoadhouse. The food is excellent. I have heard some complain about the noise too but that doesn't bother me.
In fact, it is a fun place. I love the line dancing.

I have to try seafood city..........my neighbor said it is good and reasonable too.
We went to cool springs which everyone raved but in all honesty, it was expensive and most of the fish dinners were made with sauces and stuff.
I just really thought it was too expensive for what you got. My neighbor said the same thing and recommended seafood city.
That is on our list this lent.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:27 AM

I agree, EM! Coolsprings is not one I would recommend. I don't like the location, and I don't think the clientèle is very friendly. For the money, the food is average, in my opinion.

Charley.......to be initiated into the State of Delaware, there's one small thing I've not told you! You've got to "play the part" and eat some seafood. Let's get you started at the initiation location, The Boondocks, east of Smyrna. It previously was a huge hunting lodge, now it's the local stomping grounds for hot, fat crabs! It's a huge place, and if you Google it, you find some photos that some happy customers uploaded. I only eat crab legs, so I am really an oddity for a homegrown Delawarean! The Boondocks has buckets of hodge podge, which includes an assortment of fried shrimp, zucchini, onion rings, corn fritters, and broccoli bites. One bucket per person is too much. Then there's the swamp water, which comes in a mason jar with a cat tail sticking out. That's a green liquid with some type of spirits (don't ask). It tastes like Kool Aid, but if you order the quart jar, an hour later you could be on the floor, so order an iced tea or coke! The menu is limited, but I think you could find something that's not too "seafoody". It's like nowhere you've ever been, but it's not rowdy, and in all the years I've gone, there are no drunks.....just happy seafood eaters. Another initiation location is Sambos in Leipsic, a seafood place on the water. Nascar celebrities and drivers frequent both The Boondocks and Sambos each June and September when they come to town. I've seen clips of both of these places on T.V. when they cover the Nascar event. They very much depict the Delaware scene, much more than any of those we've discussed. Here's a site which shows Sambo's, Where Pig's Fly, The Boondocks, and others: Dover Restaurants - Reviews, Photos - VirtualTourist.com

Old 01-13-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I agree, EM! Coolsprings is not one I would recommend. I don't like the location, and I don't think the clientèle is very friendly. For the money, the food is average, in my opinion.

ask). It , much more than any of those we've discussed. Here's a site which shows Sambo's, Where Pig's Fly, The Boondocks, and others: Dover Restaurants - Reviews, Photos - VirtualTourist.com

I know this was meant for Charley but I certainly benefited by this as well.
I put this site in my favorites. This is all new to me too.
Thanks Delly.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:01 AM

Oh, EM!!! Glad it was helpful to you, also. You've been here awhile, so I assumed you knew the local favorites! Looking forward to lunch.

Delly

Old 01-13-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Oh, EM!!! Glad it was helpful to you, also. You've been here awhile, so I assumed you knew the local favorites! Looking forward to lunch.

Delly
I know a few places but still more learn.

I am also looking forward to meeting you lunch!

Old 01-13-2008, 11:46 AM

405 posts, read 1,374,856 times
Loving the virtualtourist.com website thanks Delly. I usually stay away from food chains unless they are really really good. I'm looking forward to eating at diners again, we don't have them here. You guys wrote some good stuff I'll have to go back and read thru it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware