U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2015, 09:11 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,763,675 times

Advertisements

Schwartzkopf calls for changes at senior center - By Chris Flood - CapeGazette.com - Covering Delaware's Cape Region - Inland Bays, Atlantic Ocean, Rehoboth Beach, Lewes, Milton, Dewey Beach, USA

Thought I would post this link as many posters are interested in the Lewes area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 10:12 AM

350 posts, read 349,575 times
Longnecker, thanks for posting! As a new to Lewes resident (spent last summer, hoping to become permanent this spring when my house sells), I am extremely interested.

Does anyone have information on what the dispute is between the members, the board, and the Represenative? The article doesn't elaborate except to say that the liability insurance is expiring.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:40 AM

1,222 posts, read 1,543,752 times
The meeting was held at the Lewes library, but, I think it is about the Cape Henlopen senior center located in Rehoboth. There is a Lewes senior center in Lewes. I don't think they are connected. I think they are two different groups.

EED, if you go to the cape gazzette web site and do a search, there have been many, many letters to the editor that will give you an idea of what has been going on at the Rehoboth senior center for the past 6 months.

Mary2014

Old 01-13-2015, 12:00 PM

350 posts, read 349,575 times
Thanks Mary, you are correct. I just was looking at the Cape Henlopen Senior Center and it is indeed located in Rehoboth Beach, not Lewes.

The President has an open letter regarding the December 12th meeting, and again references the by-laws. Unfortunately, it does not shed any light on the real issue (i.e., what is it about the by-laws that is causing concern).

After Googling, I found the Lewes Senior Center that is indeed in Lewes. As a Lewes resident, I assume that is the one that I would be eligible to join although given the proximity I wonder if the two centers ever collaborate on activities, trips, etc. Something I will have to explore once I permanently move.

By the way, we have had single-digit temperatures and about 5" of snow this week, so that may make my Sussex county friends feel better about the local weather. Unless, of course, anyone is missing snow, in which case they are welcome to come to visit me (snow shovel supplied!).

Old 01-13-2015, 12:32 PM

1,222 posts, read 1,543,752 times
EED,

Delaware has senior centers and CHEER centers, but, I have yet to go to either.

In SE PA senior centers are very popular, but, here there are so many 60 to 80+ adults that have so many volunteer options available to them I don't know any who have time to go to the senior or CHEER centers (unless they are volunteering). Many, even those with physical limitations are very active in all sorts of things.

The one thing that strikes me is that pretty much wherever you go in the Lewes area you can count on at least 50% of the people you interact with will have grey hair! Retirees have the time to get involved and that is very evident here in Lewes.

IN SE PA the senior center was "the place" to interact with other seniors - here you have a hundred different options to connect with other seniors.

Mary2014

Old 01-20-2015, 06:19 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,763,675 times
Cape senior center board members resign - By Chris Flood - CapeGazette.com - Covering Delaware's Cape Region - Inland Bays, Atlantic Ocean, Rehoboth Beach, Lewes, Milton, Dewey Beach, USA
Board members resign.State funding will not be paid at end of month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or