Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:06 AM

24 posts, read 126,868 times

Advertisements

I am a native New Yorker now living in Richmond, Virginia and planning to relocate near Wilmington. (My husband got a job transfer.)
Just curious?? Are there any transplants from NYC now living in Northern Delaware?
I don't like it here in the South and find that some of the Southerners are not too fond of people from NYC.
I am hoping there will be more tolerence in Delaware.

Appreciate any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 12:02 PM

20 posts, read 95,625 times
There are many people from different states. I myself am a St.Louis native. We have native new Yorkers, people from philly, all over in northern delaware. Hope that was helpful, if you want to know anything else about Northern delaware let me know

Old 01-07-2008, 12:15 PM

405 posts, read 1,371,103 times
I'm a native New Yorker that moved to Calif when I was young, we are moving to Delaware soon, try coming from the state that's referred to as the land of "fruits and nuts". We were thinking of moving to Colorado, we found out they REALLY hated Calif. So I know what you mean. So I say the hell with them all! We chose Delaware because all my family is on the East Coast and from what I can tell there are a ton of people from the East Coast that end up in Delaware because NY, NJ etc are expensive, property taxes are very high, and cost of living are high. So you'll be fine. Especially in Willmington.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:41 PM

20 posts, read 95,625 times
Yes there are native New Yorkers. Delaware has people from all over this country Ive met people from Alaska, Philly, all over and I myself am a St.Louis native. You will be Welcome with open arms. If you want to know more about New Castle county let me know I can be much help.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:23 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,014,489 times
I'm sure there are many ... and when my wife and I finally get there, add two more.

Charley,
born and raised in the Bronx

Old 01-09-2008, 04:00 AM

903 posts, read 3,495,912 times
Actually, we have been very pleased with how "accepting" people in DE are of New Yorkers. I am originally from Ohio, but grew up in Va Beach due to dad being career Navy. Met hubby in Va Beach, but he is a native Long Islander/New Yorker. We have lived in several states over the years, and folks in the south were not kind. Did I say that nicely?

I have met several people in our 4 short months here from all over... partly due to the Air Force being here in Dover but also due to the migration mentioned above. Again, it has been refreshing to experience the open and welcoming attitude here. Definitely a far cry from what we experienced in our 15 years in central NC!

Good luck, and welcome!

Mary

Old 01-10-2008, 07:20 PM

4 posts, read 57,525 times
Now, now....there are a lot of pretty smart folks from NY, Phila and DC that enjoy first and second homes in Delaware. And look at the lowest taxes of any state in the country, no sales tax and beautiful resorts.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:29 PM

699 posts, read 2,887,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanpomerantz View Post
Now, now....there are a lot of pretty smart folks from NY, Phila and DC that enjoy first and second homes in Delaware. And look at the lowest taxes of any state in the country, no sales tax and beautiful resorts.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm we should have a new slogan that says " the smart people come to DE to live" Maybe that is why we are the first state.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:33 PM

405 posts, read 1,371,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from PA View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmmm we should have a new slogan that says " the smart people come to DE to live" Maybe that is why we are the first state.
I'll second that.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:06 AM

903 posts, read 3,495,912 times
As a recent transplant from the south, I'll give from PA's comment a big "Amen"!

Mary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware