Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 03:37 PM

176 posts, read 730,107 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am looking for all your expertise. My husband and I lived in DE back in 03 for a year and half and moved back to NY for a great job opportunity we lived in Bear at the time. Fast forward to today we now have twin girls one on the autism spectrum. After 6 years of school therapy, home therapies and all the above we are looking for some peace, space and a great school district that offers excellent special needs services. We own a 2 family out in NY and we live in 2 BDRM and rent the other currently so our budget for new home cannot be more than 250k. I have done my research on line as well as from friends who live there and have narrowed it down to Middletown for all the above reasons and it is still close to Philadelphia where my family lives so we have that family support. My question is will 250k get us a decent town home or twin home with at least 1600 square feet that is safe in a decent neighborhood? From research I found communities such as Willo Grove and Fox Run. The town homes seems nice but I don't know if is decent and safe. Are there others? I plan on taking trips this year but I just want to know where to start. Any other towns or input u may have Will be grately appreciated. I'm trying to be extra cautious because of the kids and my autistic daughter needs a lot of services so this move will be a one time thing and she has transitional issues so we don't want to keep moving.

PS my husband will be keeping his NY job and I'm a stay at home mom so jobs won't be an issue just a nice spacious, safe home that will allow us to care for our kids long term when hubby retires.

Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 07:15 PM

698 posts, read 1,051,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veve0308 View Post
Hi all,

I am looking for all your expertise. My husband and I lived in DE back in 03 for a year and half and moved back to NY for a great job opportunity we lived in Bear at the time. Fast forward to today we now have twin girls one on the autism spectrum. After 6 years of school therapy, home therapies and all the above we are looking for some peace, space and a great school district that offers excellent special needs services. We own a 2 family out in NY and we live in 2 BDRM and rent the other currently so our budget for new home cannot be more than 250k. I have done my research on line as well as from friends who live there and have narrowed it down to Middletown for all the above reasons and it is still close to Philadelphia where my family lives so we have that family support. My question is will 250k get us a decent town home or twin home with at least 1600 square feet that is safe in a decent neighborhood? From research I found communities such as Willo Grove and Fox Run. The town homes seems nice but I don't know if is decent and safe. Are there others? I plan on taking trips this year but I just want to know where to start. Any other towns or input u may have Will be grately appreciated. I'm trying to be extra cautious because of the kids and my autistic daughter needs a lot of services so this move will be a one time thing and she has transitional issues so we don't want to keep moving.

PS my husband will be keeping his NY job and I'm a stay at home mom so jobs won't be an issue just a nice spacious, safe home that will allow us to care for our kids long term when hubby retires.

Thanks a bunch!

look at lakeside, a community of single family and townhomes, more conveniently located than willow grove or fox run. it is about 14 years old, but homes are on nice lots, many with trees, and the whole development backs up to appoquinnimink river and natural preserve area which can't be built on. it's in silver lake elementary school district, which abuts silver lake park, and is within walking distance. it is tucked away but near "town" with shopping close by.

townhomes are very spacious, i live in an end unit and it's 1950 sq. ft with exceptional closet space and storage. townhomes now can be bought for below $250k. taxes are low, and it has always been a generally safe area with no incidents of which i'm aware in the 8 years i've lived here.also the school district is supposed to be the best and area is very family oriented with many sports, organizations for children.

feel free to DM me if you like.

catsy girl

Old 01-22-2015, 07:03 AM

Thanks catsy girl,

That's great to hear I was a bit worried we might not be able to afford anything that's decent for that price. For me square footage is more important than an updated one as I don't mind making it my own over time.

We had been debating for a while because we tried to stay in NY but the taxes and homes are just not worth it long term as one of us has to be available for our autistic daughter so only one income.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:22 AM

9,723 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veve0308 View Post
Hi all,

My question is will 250k get us a decent town home or twin home with at least 1600 square feet that is safe in a decent neighborhood? From research I found communities such as Willo Grove and Fox Run. The town homes seems nice but I don't know if is decent and safe.
Thanks a bunch!
If you're asking about Willow Grove Mill, I think it's more than decent. Can't get much safer as the Middletown Police Department is at the entrance of Willow Grove Mill, and the nearest State Police Barracks is less than 2 miles away, in Odessa.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:07 AM

347 posts, read 863,507 times
There are plenty of townhomes in the MOT area that fit your budget - both existing and new construction. You may also be able to find single families homes in your price range as well. I know several people living in the townhomes at Willow Grove and they like it. There is a lot of construction going on near the entrance to the townhomes and at times the exit ramps for Route 1 cause some congestion on the road at the Wawa.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonthemove View Post
There are plenty of townhomes in the MOT area that fit your budget - both existing and new construction. You may also be able to find single families homes in your price range as well. I know several people living in the townhomes at Willow Grove and they like it. There is a lot of construction going on near the entrance to the townhomes and at times the exit ramps for Route 1 cause some congestion on the road at the Wawa.
Momonthemove,

Thanks a bunch. I'm so glad to know that I have many options for my budget
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: