U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 01:46 PM

7 posts, read 6,764 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

My wife and I are at our wits end. We've been searching for places to move in & around DE for the past 6 months. We visited as well, with no luck. We need to rent for the next 2 yrs before buying. Moving by the Summer.

We're married, no kids, no pets, young 40 year olds, coming from Westchester county near NYC. We essentially live in Mayberry in an apartment surrounded by expensive homes with very little crime.

We have 6 criteria:
- max $1300,
- within 45 min commute to Wilmington,
- very safe neighborhood,
- preferably a townhome or single family,
- at least half WOOD FLOORS.
- at least 800 sqft
- patio, balcony, or yard

Every complex or apt in our price range has full carpet. If not, they want $1500+ a month or it's in a not so safe area.

The other thing we notice - the ads are a bit off-putting. Most owners have a list of things they expect you to pay for: heat, water, sewer, trash and snow. One even said for calling the plumber for a clogged drain.

We don't care about schools, walkability, and we already know there ain't nuthin to do in DE. Could be a loft, studio, 1 bdrm+.

Maybe we have a steal, but we have a patio, garage, heat, water, sewer, snow removal all included for less than our max budget listed above. Yes, the apartment is outdated & small, but wood floors are common here.

The only other criteria is non-essential - a "want" = a nice view. Trees, hills, a pond, city view, anything would be nice. Right now, we have lots of trees.

Have rents just risen higher around the country than we expected? Maybe we just need to follow other Yankees down south!

btw - we've looked out past Elkton, MD (not really wanting to be in KKK land), north as West Chester, PA (would rather avoid extra wage taxes), and south as Bear and Middletown. We did find a couple promising rentals in Middletown, but would rather not be that far. Crime in Bear seems a bit concerning. Philly seems to be even more expensive for something welcoming & nice.

Last edited by turtlecrossing; 02-05-2015 at 01:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 03:14 PM

7,320 posts, read 10,750,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlecrossing View Post
Hi Folks,

My wife and I are at our wits end. We've been searching for places to move in & around DE for the past 6 months. We visited as well, with no luck. We need to rent for the next 2 yrs before buying. Moving by the Summer.

We're married, no kids, no pets, young 40 year olds, coming from Westchester county near NYC. We essentially live in Mayberry in an apartment surrounded by expensive homes with very little crime.

We have 6 criteria:
- max $1300,
- within 45 min commute to Wilmington,
- very safe neighborhood,
- preferably a townhome or single family,
- at least half WOOD FLOORS.
- at least 800 sqft
- patio, balcony, or yard

Every complex or apt in our price range has full carpet. If not, they want $1500+ a month or it's in a not so safe area.

The other thing we notice - the ads are a bit off-putting. Most owners have a list of things they expect you to pay for: heat, water, sewer, trash and snow. One even said for calling the plumber for a clogged drain.

We don't care about schools, walkability, and we already know there ain't nuthin to do in DE. Could be a loft, studio, 1 bdrm+.

Maybe we have a steal, but we have a patio, garage, heat, water, sewer, snow removal all included for less than our max budget listed above. Yes, the apartment is outdated & small, but wood floors are common here.

The only other criteria is non-essential - a "want" = a nice view. Trees, hills, a pond, city view, anything would be nice. Right now, we have lots of trees.

Have rents just risen higher around the country than we expected? Maybe we just need to follow other Yankees down south!

btw - we've looked out past Elkton, MD (not really wanting to be in KKK land), north as West Chester, PA (would rather avoid extra wage taxes), and south as Bear and Middletown. We did find a couple promising rentals in Middletown, but would rather not be that far. Crime in Bear seems a bit concerning. Philly seems to be even more expensive for something welcoming & nice.
No, sorry. I don't know of one single place.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:37 PM

7,771 posts, read 10,452,052 times
I can help you a lot but you will need to allow me to rewrite your lengthy post. It is way too long to really convey what you need.

WANTED: cheap rent max $1300 with all services ( heat, water, sewer, snow removal and garage and patio) included in a very safe area within 45 minutes of Wilmington, not willing to call any area with crime home. Willing to pay for electric and hope to have cable included but willing to split the cost for the right place.

I know Mamaroneck, Larchmont and Pound Ridge quite well, and if you are paying that kind of rent anywhere near there, you had better stay there and keep the lid on that place, you just might get arrested for theft.

Just wondering, why move to such an expensive place like De. especially since there is nothing to do here?

Old 02-05-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I can help you a lot but you will need to allow me to rewrite your lengthy post. It is way too long to really convey what you need.

WANTED: cheap rent max $1300 with all services ( heat, water, sewer, snow removal and garage and patio) included in a very safe area within 45 minutes of Wilmington, not willing to call any area with crime home. Willing to pay for electric and hope to have cable included but willing to split the cost for the right place.

I know Mamaroneck, Larchmont and Pound Ridge quite well, and if you are paying that kind of rent anywhere near there, you had better stay there and keep the lid on that place, you just might get arrested for theft.

Just wondering, why move to such an expensive place like De. especially since there is nothing to do here?
You are funny. But, you're right. I'm long winded. Very challenged when it comes to getting to the point. haha

Funny how folks in DE think I'm lying when I say it's more expensive to rent there than where I am outside of NYC. Thanks for agreeing that DE is expensive - for renters. I think buying may be cheaper.

We'd be moving for my current job. Why else? Trying to make it work before walking out the door.

We're near White Plains.

Last edited by turtlecrossing; 02-05-2015 at 05:58 PM..

Old 02-05-2015, 05:37 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,196,822 times
I know several people who rent at St. Andrews and also someone who rents at Korman at Brandywine Woods, both in Bear. They all like where they are living and I have never heard them say of any problems. I have friends who moved from Fox Run Apts so I would stay away from there.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I know several people who rent at St. Andrews and also someone who rents at Korman at Brandywine Woods, both in Bear. They all like where they are living and I have never heard them say of any problems. I have friends who moved from Fox Run Apts so I would stay away from there.
Thanks SXMGirl. I checked out those options. Nice and within our price range. Just wish they had hard wood floor options. I'll definitely keep them in mind!

Old 02-05-2015, 06:47 PM

350 posts, read 349,575 times
Hi turtlecrossing, I am not familiar with northern Delaware so will admit up front I cannot help you with an apartment search.

But you have peaked my curiosity. I love wood floors also, but given you are renting with no kids/pets why is this a requirement? Allergy to carpet fibers?

Old 02-05-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEveryDay View Post
Hi turtlecrossing, I am not familiar with northern Delaware so will admit up front I cannot help you with an apartment search.

But you have peaked my curiosity. I love wood floors also, but given you are renting with no kids/pets why is this a requirement? Allergy to carpet fibers?
Hi Enjoy Every Day, Short answer to your question is we're messy snobs. lol. We love the look of wood flooring & it's so easy to clean up spills. Carpet just seems so inherently dirty. It collects dust, holds stains, the fibers give off fumes, we do have indoor allergies from time to time, but I haven't narrowed it down to carpet per se. We just have our preferences.

SXMGirl - I just called Korman and whatdoyaknow - they do have some hardwood floor apartments. You may have solved our issue. Huge thanks.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:24 PM

350 posts, read 349,575 times
Quote:
Hi Enjoy Every Day, Short answer to your question is we're messy snobs.
LOL, one of best answers I've ever seen on this board. Thanks for indulging the question!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-07-2015 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 02-07-2015, 07:57 AM

7,771 posts, read 10,452,052 times
Quote:
You are funny. But, you're right. I'm long winded. Very challenged when it comes to getting to the point. haha

Funny how folks in DE think I'm lying when I say it's more expensive to rent there than where I am outside of NYC. Thanks for agreeing that DE is expensive - for renters. I think buying may be cheaper.

We'd be moving for my current job. Why else? Trying to make it work before walking out the door.

We're near White Plains.

I don't recall saying that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or