U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 09:35 AM

7,764 posts, read 10,444,075 times

Advertisements

Our community has guest speakers from a vast variety of disciplines. One speaker was a State trooper and he offered a very simple but a little time consuming tip. I always write the serial numbers for things like TV, Computers etc. on the paperwork from the item, even if it is just your receipt as nowadays the manuals are on line very often. I started to do this because if I had a problem with say a TV, and called the hotline number, they always wanted the serial number, so I have a folder with all my info and can simply pull it out for reference.

He told my fellow community members to write all serial numbers down and keep it in a safe place as the minute an item is stolen the serial number identification will get it returned to you quickly. Maybe I am nave but I was astounded at the number of people who did not do this. I did put them all on a sheet of paper and scanned them into an encrypted file.

Another was that your cars should always be locked even on a driveway as garage remotes are stolen and that gets a burglar into you home. I admit that I am guilty of not locking my car on the driveway but I have done so now for the past several months when ever the car is out.

Now, as the officer stated, it is not a guarantee that you will get your stuff back, but you stand a better chance if you have the serial numbers written down and in a safe place to simply present to the police. You can also engrave something on the item that only you will be able to describe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 11:16 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,010,009 times
[quote=nuts2uiam;38492508].

He told my fellow community members to write all serial numbers down and keep it in a safe place as the minute an item is stolen the serial number identification will get it returned to you quickly. Maybe I am nave but I was astounded at the number of people who did not do this. I did put them all on a sheet of paper and scanned them into an encrypted file.
quote]
That would be great if we could read the serial numbers. I keep getting pop ups wanting me to register my new laptop. I can not begin to read those little letters/numbers. I can easily read the bottom line on the Eye Doctor's chart.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:33 AM

7,764 posts, read 10,444,075 times
I have a very large magnifying glass for just that reason!!!

Old 02-18-2015, 01:10 PM

1,222 posts, read 1,542,957 times
nuts,

That magnifying glass also comes in handy when you are trying to read the numbers on the bottom of plastic containers - can it go in the recycle bin or is it a #3 or #6 that the one stream recycle system at my location does not take.

I think a good magnifying glass makes a great retirement gift - comes in handy for all sorts of reasons.

Mary2014

Old 02-18-2015, 01:48 PM

9,655 posts, read 15,782,006 times
Also keep the blank for car keys in a safe place. to get a new car key can cost in the hundreds

Old 02-18-2015, 02:27 PM

3,489 posts, read 4,926,278 times
I put a sticker on the back of my cellphone, and back of my car key remote, saying "FINDER, PLEASE CALL (my next of kin's number)". So simple, and yet so few people do this.

I have also heard warnings to avoid programming your home address on your GPS, but instead you should use another close-by address. Supposedly, car thieves have been known to break into cars parked at long-term lots (such as at airports, commuter stations, and sports stadiums), figure out the owner's address from the GPS, and then they use the owner's garage remote (often found in the glove box) to enter the owner's home and steal all their possessions.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:07 PM

3,471 posts, read 17,206,653 times
I use a Dremel tool and carve into all equipment and toys(TVs,DVD players, etc.) : Stolen from ______(initials) and the last 4 of my SS #. It's on an inconspicuous place.
I have never pawned anything but do know that if things are stolen, they end up in a pawn shop. A pawn shop will not take things that are etched with ID.
Just another way to maybe stop thieves. They are usually brainless but simple fixes may stop simple minds.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:16 PM

Another hint----

Write down your vehicle's VIN number and license plate numbers and keep in at least two separate, safe places.

Believe it or not, many people, including me, fail to note their license plate numbers My car was "stolen" about a year ago. First thing police ask for is, of course, the license plate number, which I didn't have! It is NOT on your insurance cards, I looked. Just snap a picture next time you go our, but make sure to use that old-fashioned method of pen and paper---I think they still sell them---and put it somewhere SAFE.

Turned out my dd was taking my car for a spin at night after I'd gone to bed! She didn't even have a driver's license, no driver's ed, and, of course, no insurance! Just so happened I got up in the middle of the night and noticed the car missing. I called police, first thing they asked for was license plate number, which I didn't have. Then, DD returned the car when I wasn't looking and completely denied stealing it. Police sided with her, sad I probably just "forgot" where I parked it---police in this town literally let the kids run all over the parents and usually side with the kids!

Regardless, that's one thing many people neglect to keep a record of---their license plate numbers, go write it down NOW!

Old 02-18-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I put a sticker on the back of my cellphone, and back of my car key remote, saying "FINDER, PLEASE CALL (my next of kin's number)". So simple, and yet so few people do this.

I have also heard warnings to avoid programming your home address on your GPS, but instead you should use another close-by address. Supposedly, car thieves have been known to break into cars parked at long-term lots (such as at airports, commuter stations, and sports stadiums), figure out the owner's address from the GPS, and then they use the owner's garage remote (often found in the glove box) to enter the owner's home and steal all their possessions.

So they go burglarize your neighbor's instead

Old 02-18-2015, 04:25 PM

2,898 posts, read 4,564,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
He told my fellow community members to write all serial numbers down and keep it in a safe place as the minute an item is stolen the serial number identification will get it returned to you quickly.
While you're writing down the serial numbers for your electronics, write down the one for your bike:

Quote:
DO write down the serial number for your bike.

Write it down, put it somewhere you wont lose it, and email it to yourself. It can usually be found on the bottom of the bottom bracket. Also, you can put a piece of paper with your information inside of the handlebar grips, in case you come across it someday on the street. Also, consider taking photos of your bike so that you can post it on the internet so that others can help you get your bike back if it gets stolen.
https://btaoregon.org/2012/09/five-d...etting-stolen/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware