U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 03:25 PM

2,109 posts, read 1,405,608 times

Advertisements

I remember when the Dover Mall used to be the Big Mall and when the Blue Hen Mall was in Existence, this was before Route 1 Toll was ever constructed, it was just 13 all the way to Wilmington. Extreeme growth in Dover/Kent County i must say... For a City Dover's size it has progressed over the Years, seems to be a healthy Economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 05:28 PM

789 posts, read 699,931 times
You'd be surprised then at how dangerous Dover has gotten in the past, what 3 years? From July until December this past year especially it seemed like there was at least 1 or 2 shootings per week.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:48 PM

7,317 posts, read 10,737,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I remember when the Dover Mall used to be the Big Mall and when the Blue Hen Mall was in Existence, this was before Route 1 Toll was ever constructed, it was just 13 all the way to Wilmington. Extreeme growth in Dover/Kent County i must say... For a City Dover's size it has progressed over the Years, seems to be a healthy Economy.
I remember those, also, and much more. I remember when, in the late 50's, there was a Dairy Queen in Dover (corner of King's Hwy. & Rt. 13) and that was all! Dover Air Force Base was new and different, and there were dances where the Army & Navy Store is now on Loockerman Street. There were no malls, and the only places to shop were on Loockerman Street - Emmanuels, Braunsteins, and Sherrie's. Betty Lunch was a favorite place to go for Chicken 'n Dumplins, and that was where Artisans' Bank is now, near Rodney Village.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I remember those, also, and much more. I remember when, in the late 50's, there was a Dairy Queen in Dover (corner of King's Hwy. & Rt. 13) and that was all! Dover Air Force Base was new and different, and there were dances where the Army & Navy Store is now on Loockerman Street. There were no malls, and the only places to shop were on Loockerman Street - Emmanuels, Braunsteins, and Sherrie's. Betty Lunch was a favorite place to go for Chicken 'n Dumplins, and that was where Artisans' Bank is now, near Rodney Village.

Yeah,

That was way before my time but i do remember the 80's Clearly. The days when there were only 7 11s, no Wawa's existed. The Era of Hurricane Gloria... Living on Dover AFB Housing. Rehoboth Beach in the Summers. In Atlanta now but miss those days.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:09 AM

Haven't been up to Delaware in a Few years now, which will forever be my 2nd home. Have always thought about moving back some day but wondering how the economy/ job market is now. Lived in Dover when I was younger but not closed to living in either New Castle or Kent County this time around. I work in the Aviation Logistics sector at the current moment. May be you guys on City-data can give me some insight as to things Currently in both Kent and New Castle. Jobs, things to do, etc. Haven't lived in Delaware in years. Funny seeing that Dover is now included in the Philly CSA now. Actually it should have been years ago with the close proximity.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:40 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,005,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Real Chicken n Dumplins sure brings back great memories. In our area now the ones that advertise Chicken N Dumplins are using premade (not sure frozen or canned) Dumplins.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:12 AM

1,053 posts, read 795,495 times
oobanks - Central Delaware is great. Hope you make it back. Check out Summit Aviation for a potential job. Years ago I used to fly aircraft in there for radio work. They do a lot of high end stuff. Class act.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
oobanks - Central Delaware is great. Hope you make it back. Check out Summit Aviation for a potential job. Years ago I used to fly aircraft in there for radio work. They do a lot of high end stuff. Class act.
NJBoy, Thanks for the heads up on this...

Old 01-12-2017, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 487 times
Need help freinds....Am from Texas relocating to Dover in search for a decent studio or apartment not expensive and in a good neighborhood with no crime rate. WILL be working at Dover AFB my drive shouldn't exceed 20mns or so from the base.
Any kind hearted person advise and help please.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:06 PM

68 posts, read 136,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
You'd be surprised then at how dangerous Dover has gotten in the past, what 3 years? From July until December this past year especially it seemed like there was at least 1 or 2 shootings per week.
Yeah I remember when a shooting would have large, bold print on the front page of the DE State News. I now live in a town Dovers' size & crime is rampant here also. I drove with Dover City Cab in the early-mid 70s. I drove overnight 6pm-6am. & other than a few passengers jumping out & running to avoid paying the fare I didnt have any problems at all & we picked up alot of passengers in Capt Gr, Capt Pk, Queen & Kirkwood Sts, Whatcoat Apts, you see where I'm going with this. Today I wouldnt even drive a cab during the daytime. Its a damn shame America is dissolving into a crime ridden nation. SMH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware