U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 01:43 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,143,505 times

Advertisements

[quote=rothbear;38894045]I totally agree that some take it to extremes. That even bothers me and I would tend to do as you and nicely bring it up to them, or at least change the subject to good things. But to just come right out and tell someone that they should go back where they came, IMHO, is not good manners. I would just not talk to them or at least talk about something else.

I totally agree. I will always try to get along with people, but I don't tolerate blatant disrespect. BTW, when are you moving in? We are closing towards the end of April. Harrington here we come!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 12:35 PM

2,271 posts, read 4,575,425 times
[quote=NYJoe;38899313]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
I totally agree that some take it to extremes. That even bothers me and I would tend to do as you and nicely bring it up to them, or at least change the subject to good things. But to just come right out and tell someone that they should go back where they came, IMHO, is not good manners. I would just not talk to them or at least talk about something else.

I totally agree. I will always try to get along with people, but I don't tolerate blatant disrespect. BTW, when are you moving in? We are closing towards the end of April. Harrington here we come!
Joe.....Our closing date is 4/13 but we haven't heard from them for awhile to come up and do our pre-final walkthrough. I am getting a bit nervous as our house is under contract down here with a closing date of 4/9. Our movers will only hold our stuff in a truck for 12 days, 4/20, and then they have to unload and store and reload which will double our costs. Plus we would have to stay in a hotel extra days....more money. They told us way back when that it would be about a month in advance, but that is past and no word. We are building in Nobles Pond in northern Dover and I know they are having some special event this weekend so may not hear from the sales person until Monday. YIPES!!

Last time we were up there we actually stayed in the Baymont right across from the fairgrounds in Harrington. Good luck to you!!

Old 03-21-2015, 01:17 PM

9,154 posts, read 13,151,038 times
Double Post. Please excuse.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
They told us way back when that it would be about a month in advance, but that is past and no word.
My job entails going in and out of new subdivisions for inspections. Due to the usually harsh winter we experienced in Kent County, Delaware I've found that most builders are running behind.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:34 PM

12,576 posts, read 16,069,628 times
[quote=rothbear;38903289]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post

Joe.....Our closing date is 4/13 but we haven't heard from them for awhile to come up and do our pre-final walkthrough. I am getting a bit nervous as our house is under contract down here with a closing date of 4/9. Our movers will only hold our stuff in a truck for 12 days, 4/20, and then they have to unload and store and reload which will double our costs. Plus we would have to stay in a hotel extra days....more money. They told us way back when that it would be about a month in advance, but that is past and no word. We are building in Nobles Pond in northern Dover and I know they are having some special event this weekend so may not hear from the sales person until Monday. YIPES!!

Last time we were up there we actually stayed in the Baymont right across from the fairgrounds in Harrington. Good luck to you!!
Rothbear, find out if the van lines will simply take that truck out for a while. It is often not worth it to them to offload and reload to deliver and they will simply charge you for storage. We almost ran into this when our buyer screwed up. He understood that we would be moving on 3/3 which never came into play at all. From the day we signed the contract we told their broker and our lawyer told theirs, our move out would be the week of March 12. In NY you give an on or about date and we did Feb 27 so they would have a bit of wiggle room. Long story short, the mortgage commitment ran out on 3/3 and they flunked the second credit check.
We found out at 4:30 on March 18 they were cleared and the movers picked us up on the 20th. We discussed with the movers about putting stuff in storage, if we had to and they suggested the above to us. Thankfully it did not come to that.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:49 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,143,505 times
[quote=rothbear;38903289]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post

We should be closing right after you. Maybe we can visit each other's homes and toast our new beginnings!

Old 03-22-2015, 04:39 PM

319 posts, read 466,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Not to bellyache (but I guess I am). Our quality of life has changed immensely since the caravans of people starting coming across the borders, way back in the 40's. First it was the potato farmers from NY, then others followed. Our quality of life, back in the "OLD" days included trips to the beach, all summer long, no traffic, and tons of farm land.

But, before I get slammed, I do understand that this is called "progress" - we need the tourists, we need their money, and developers need to keep building to pad their pockets. I operate a business, and that has prospered because of the growth. We can't have both tranquility and growth, I understand. Something has to be given up, and we native Delawareans gave it up starting many, many years ago.......(there's always Kentucky)
At least I don't interpret it as bellyaching. A dilemma indeed- what makes a place special is what attracts people and success in attracting people can change the very thing that attracted them.

My earlier points were an attempt (whether successful or not) to share ideas about how to address it.

Personally, I relocated to Delaware because it was a great fit for my personality. While I have navigated the, so called, hustle and bustle of medium and large urban centers (Boston/NYC), I have found I am most content with small town america and I actually do love farms (and no the smells don't bother me at all).
This was something I learned over 10 years of undergrad and graduate school. I felt it was less stress and the people a different kind of friendly. In graduate school 3 classmates and I rented an old farmhouse right on a farm. It was the farmer's old house as he had built a new one. Those were some of the most fantastic years of my life (including now)- neighbor helping neighbor and a sense of community. Our landlord at the time knew we were students and invited us to his farm any time to help ourselves to produce. His one request was that we only pick what we will eat.

An aside, I learned back then that I get along better with people with whom I disagree as I
learn new things as well as it making community more fun. So I certainly appreciate our
interactions.

How does Delaware control growth or manage it in an attempt to preserve quality of life?
Perhaps with input from the many stake holders there is a great solution. So, rdlr I sincerely
hope that you make sure you make your voice heard to your elected officials, etc. You
have a unique position in seeing how things have changed to this point.

Uncontrolled growth and poor planning lead to things like the Bourne rotary and Sagamore
bridge in Massachusetts where there are literally 10-20 mile traffic backups going south
to Cape Cod.

A similar thing happens in cities- an neighborhood becomes gentrified; residents of a working-class
or middle-class neigbhorhood or town get priced out and end up moving because they can no longer
afford to live there. The latter I've seen happen on Cape Cod in Massachusetts.

Last edited by newmassphd; 03-22-2015 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-22-2015, 05:44 PM

2,271 posts, read 4,575,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
My job entails going in and out of new subdivisions for inspections. Due to the usually harsh winter we experienced in Kent County, Delaware I've found that most builders are running behind.
That's what I figured. They got that last year and were running behind so that's why they pushed the timing back to 7 months. But we all know that the winter has been even worse this year. Actually we found out over the weekend that the C of O will probably come Monday or Tuesday so we are planning to be there the middle of the week. Hopefully it doesn't set things back too far.

We also found out that they used our house as part of their "hard hat" tour this past weekend for visitors to the new model open house, so apparently tons of other people have seen it before we have! I will have to harass the sales person about that a bit, teasingly of course. From the pix that my friend sent to me it appears that it is done. All the landscaping in as well the sod, so they should be ready to go. As long as our punch list isn't too long it should be OK.

[quote=nuts2uiam;38903866]
Quote:

Rothbear, find out if the van lines will simply take that truck out for a while. It is often not worth it to them to offload and reload to deliver and they will simply charge you for storage. We almost ran into this when our buyer screwed up. He understood that we would be moving on 3/3 which never came into play at all. From the day we signed the contract we told their broker and our lawyer told theirs, our move out would be the week of March 12. In NY you give an on or about date and we did Feb 27 so they would have a bit of wiggle room. Long story short, the mortgage commitment ran out on 3/3 and they flunked the second credit check.
We found out at 4:30 on March 18 they were cleared and the movers picked us up on the 20th. We discussed with the movers about putting stuff in storage, if we had to and they suggested the above to us. Thankfully it did not come to that.
That's pretty much what they will be doing anyway. Their normal delivery time from Charlotte to Dover is 3 days, so they are pushing it back to 12 days if needed. Unfortunately they won't do it any longer than that.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmassphd View Post
An aside, I learned back then that I get along better with people with whom I disagree as I
learn new things as well as it making community more fun. So I certainly appreciate our
interactions.

How does Delaware control growth or manage it in an attempt to preserve quality of life?
Perhaps with input from the many stake holders there is a great solution. So, rdlr I sincerely
hope that you make sure you make your voice heard to your elected officials, etc. You
have a unique position in seeing how things have changed to this point.
newmassphd - thank you for your understanding post. And, yes. I am politically active, and speak one on one with our elected officials quite frequently. When the Legislature is in session, I make every attempt to be there, at least, for some of those sessions.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
We also found out that they used our house as part of their "hard hat" tour this past weekend for visitors to the new model open house, so apparently tons of other people have seen it before we have! I will have to harass the sales person about that a bit, teasingly of course. From the pix that my friend sent to me it appears that it is done. All the landscaping in as well the sod, so they should be ready to go. As long as our punch list isn't too long it should be OK.
That's pretty much typical. I was in new construction yesterday, and also today. Both times (different subdivisions) there were prospective buyers being given tours by the sales agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware