U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 07:43 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,545,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by from PA View Post
Guess they're never around when you need them. I actually thought that stretch was some sort of raceway

Yeah, it seems like it don't it!

Old 01-16-2008, 12:28 PM

902 posts, read 3,213,195 times
I've been reading along here, and holding back on posting on this topic. But SC's comment just makes it too hard to resist.

As a parent, and insurance agent, and mom of 2 young drivers (and 2 more to follow), driving on today's roads makes me cringe. I've been driving over 30 years, and do not consider myself a fearful driver. But too many people, regardless of age, seem to think rules of the road are for the other guy... not them. I will admit to setting my cruise control to 5 mph over the given speed limit on the highways, but even at that it seems like I'm driving like a granny out there. And I'm talking anywhere in the country! Most of the time, when we travel as a family, we drive as it is more economical. So in addition to 30+ years, there's many miles on this old gal.

I personally applaud the tightening of the laws regarding aggressive drivers. But sadly, SC has a good point in that there is always a lawyer that will take someone's money to get charges reduced. I don't know what the answer is, other than praying more when I drive!

Mary

Old 01-16-2008, 10:45 PM

14 posts, read 66,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
I've been reading along here, and holding back on posting on this topic. But SC's comment just makes it too hard to resist.

As a parent, and insurance agent, and mom of 2 young drivers (and 2 more to follow), driving on today's roads makes me cringe. I've been driving over 30 years, and do not consider myself a fearful driver. But too many people, regardless of age, seem to think rules of the road are for the other guy... not them. I will admit to setting my cruise control to 5 mph over the given speed limit on the highways, but even at that it seems like I'm driving like a granny out there. And I'm talking anywhere in the country! Most of the time, when we travel as a family, we drive as it is more economical. So in addition to 30+ years, there's many miles on this old gal.

I personally applaud the tightening of the laws regarding aggressive drivers. But sadly, SC has a good point in that there is always a lawyer that will take someone's money to get charges reduced. I don't know what the answer is, other than praying more when I drive!

Mary
people blocking the left lane is what usually cause speeders to use the other lanes to pass. if people would just stay out of the left lane, speeders wouldn't have this problem. if you're going 80mph in the left lane and someone wants to go faster, you should move out of the way when there's an opportunity.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:26 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,545,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-Cobra View Post
people blocking the left lane is what usually cause speeders to use the other lanes to pass. if people would just stay out of the left lane, speeders wouldn't have this problem. if you're going 80mph in the left lane and someone wants to go faster, you should move out of the way when there's an opportunity.
I agree cobra but isn't 80 a bit much??? Shouldn't they slow down to at least 70 and no more than that?

Old 01-17-2008, 08:56 AM

902 posts, read 3,213,195 times
Hmmm. last I heard, there are NO roads in the U.S. where the speed limit is 80 mph. At least for "non-emergency" vehicles! That is the root of the problem... drivers who think the speed limit applies to others. Funny, some states have passed a law (don't know about DE) that passing on the right is OK if the "slow" driver is at least maintaining the posted speed limit. But for those that wonder, that is a "gotcha" for the police, because then the ticket is for speeding, not improper passing or whatever.

Yep, cobra, better slow down. The Autobahn is in Europe... not the U.S. God bless your insurance agent, and I wonder what YOUR driving record looks like! I'm sorry, I had to rise to this challenge!

Mary

Old 01-17-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
I agree cobra but isn't 80 a bit much??? Shouldn't they slow down to at least 70 and no more than that?
IMO, it's kind of like these other threads about how dangerous Baltimore is or whatever? you can be someone who sees druggies and pushers on a daily basis (worse criminals than speeders). so the question is, do you want to mess with them or should you just let them go by?

same with speeders. do you want to enforce the 55 MPH law by blocking them? or do you want to just let them go by and hope that they get caught?

and 70mph is kind of average and not even left lane worthy. especially in traffic that's about 1 hour before rush hour. it moves extremely fast in all lanes because people know that it's going to be gridlock soon. sometimes you have to at least try to keep up with traffic even in the slow lane. otherwise you impede the flow.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
Hmmm. last I heard, there are NO roads in the U.S. where the speed limit is 80 mph. At least for "non-emergency" vehicles!
most part of i-80 is 75 MPH limit and cops tolerate 80 MPH not problem. Montanna has no speed limit in certain areas and about 80 MPH in more populated sections.

Quote:
That is the root of the problem... drivers who think the speed limit applies to others. Funny, some states have passed a law (don't know about DE) that passing on the right is OK if the "slow" driver is at least maintaining the posted speed limit. But for those that wonder, that is a "gotcha" for the police, because then the ticket is for speeding, not improper passing or whatever.
this doesn't make any sense.

Quote:
Yep, cobra, better slow down. The Autobahn is in Europe... not the U.S. God bless your insurance agent, and I wonder what YOUR driving record looks like! I'm sorry, I had to rise to this challenge!

Mary
nah, i'll take my chances. my last ticket was 12 years ago for doing 10 over. and thanks for the sermon.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:10 PM

957 posts, read 3,324,087 times
If you want to pass someone on the beltway around DC, you'll have to do better than 80. 80 will just about keep you going with the flow of traffic. It is safer to stay with the flow than to do the speed limit, especially in the left lane. Someone doing 55 in the left lane when the flow is doing 75-80 is an accident waiting to happen.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:37 PM

693 posts, read 2,611,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
If you want to pass someone on the beltway around DC, you'll have to do better than 80. 80 will just about keep you going with the flow of traffic. It is safer to stay with the flow than to do the speed limit, especially in the left lane. Someone doing 55 in the left lane when the flow is doing 75-80 is an accident waiting to happen.
Unfortunate, but true. And many of these drivers are on our DE roads driving in the same manner. Another problem I see often in DE is drivers too slow in the passing lane. By too slow I mean under the speed limit. Most often it is someone talking on their cell phone and not at all attentive to their driving.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:26 AM

957 posts, read 3,324,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from PA View Post
Another problem I see often in DE is drivers too slow in the passing lane. By too slow I mean under the speed limit.
I see this every day and it's more dangerous than just just doing 5 or 10 over like everyone else. The other thing is school buses stopping on a busy road with a 50+ speed limit. The way most people drive, that's an accident waiting to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware