Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 05:18 PM

22 posts, read 23,167 times

Advertisements

Hi, have a couple of questions about getting a driver license and registration of a car
? Which should be done first and do you have to schedule appointments? I have moved from Ohio and am now living in Ocean View. The other question is about finding a reasonable mechanic or place to get my older car serviced and oil changed. Thanks for the help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 06:27 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,888,588 times
No appointments--Georgetown DMV is pretty fast and efficient too. I'd do the driver's license first so the address is already in their system for the registration. I believe they prefer you to do it in that order as well.

Take your car to Robert's Repair in Bethany next to the Shore Stop--three older gentlemen work there and have many years of experience working on cars, especially older ones. The mechanics are Mike and Chuck. You can tell them that Liz with the Mustang GT and the old F150 sent you there; they know me. I've been going there for years. They won't rip you off or try to tell you that your car needs things done to it that it doesn't really need.

790 Garfield Pky
Bethany Beach, DE
302/539-7352

Old 03-28-2015, 11:15 AM

4,903 posts, read 4,185,366 times
When arriving at DMV I would drive through the inspection lane first. Then park and go inside .Early morning arrival (8:30) will get you in and out in amazing time.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:55 PM

9 posts, read 12,485 times
Go to the Delaware DMV website and download the Guide for New Residents. I did the whole deal in December and it took about 30 minutes. Make sure you have a Delaware insurance card, the car title, birth certificate (or other proof) , proof of social security number, 2 letters addressed to your new address or other proof of residence. You have to go to the car inspection first and then park and go inside. The drivers license is $40 for 8 years and the registration $40 for 2 years. There is a 3.75% vehicle document fee for the book value of the car. It could be expensive for a newer car.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:19 PM

319 posts, read 500,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobb023 View Post
The drivers license is $40 for 8 years and the registration $40 for 2 years. There is a 3.75% vehicle document fee for the book value of the car. It could be expensive for a newer car.
And an added perk is that, due to improved face recognition software, the DMV has changed the rules
and let you smile for your license picture. So no more strained looking expressions.

Smile ban lifted on Delaware driver's license photos - Delaware Business Daily digital business journalDelaware Business Daily digital business journal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware