Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 12:50 PM

699 posts, read 2,889,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebleu View Post
beachanyone,

Yes, Dover would be about half way between Newark (depending on where in Newark, because the greater Newark area sprawls) and the ocean beaches (rather than bay beaches) which start around Lewes.

Depends on where you live in Dover too. We live about as far north in Dover as you can and still be in Dover, and it takes us an hour to get to the northern most ocean beaches.

It takes us about an hour to get to most places, say the vicinity of the University of Delaware), in Newark too.

Several people on this forum, as you probably know, live in smaller towns near Dover, such as Magnolia and Camden, and like them very much.

Annie
We are in Magnolia, just below Dover and minutes from RT. 1.
Last summer I took a trip to Ocean City, MD on a Saturday morning and it only took me an hour using back roads. It takes me 45/50 minutes going north on Rt.1 to get to Christiana . Our little town is worth a look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 08:05 PM

65 posts, read 233,295 times
Thanks so much for the info. Still the sound of the beach being an hour away is not at all the picture I was painting in my mind!!!! There goes my morning walks on the beach daydream. lol
Tabitha

Old 02-28-2008, 08:42 PM

699 posts, read 2,889,155 times
Well, if you like a more rustic, down to nature no frills beach, there is Bowers Beach about 10 minutes away. I often go there just to walk and soak up the sun. It's not for everyone though. Really Lewes is not that far either. Maybe 25 minutes or so but more time during peak summer hours .

Old 02-28-2008, 10:16 PM

903 posts, read 3,498,219 times
But beachanyone, look how far you have to go to get to the shore from where you are now???? Don't recall too many coastlines in WV! Unless you count the "shore" of the Ohio, Kanawa, Monongahela (sp?) or New Rivers! Did I miss any of the major waterways of WV? You'll feel spoiled most anywhere in DE, as a day at the beach is a do-able day trip!

Being a beach girl at heart, I too craved the beach back in central NC... we were about a 4 hour drive to just so-so beaches there. We were able to get to the mountains (and southern WV) quicker. Come on down, and get your feet wet!

Mary

Old 02-29-2008, 08:26 PM

65 posts, read 233,295 times
Thanks PA, Im afraid I am pushing it with Magnolia. My husband has just announced he isnt going to drive over an hour for work( he travels a lot as it is).
Mary- you are so right. No beaches here in WV. However, I desperately want to be really close to the water like our summers in Belmar, NJ. I guess I am trying to have it ALL! nothing wrong with that,right?
I am not familiar with Bowers Beach. I will have to check it out.
Tabitha

Old 03-01-2008, 07:56 AM

271 posts, read 993,084 times
beachanyone, just to add a bit to PA's info: Bowers Beach is a bay beach, not an ocean beach. I agree with PA that one can get to bay beaches even from where we are in Dover fairly quickly, and they can be pleasant, but they are definitely not ocean beaches.

Speaking of the beach! Has anyone else noticed that we will be getting a warming trend, along with bright sunshine over the next few days? I think it will be BUSY at the beach tomorrow, but we're going to try to arrange schedules so we can get there on Monday, when high 50's or even 60 and sunny is predicted.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:19 AM

903 posts, read 3,498,219 times
Hello folks!

Good point annie.. and definitely a great thing to point out. Growing up in Va Beach, as teens we went for the "oceanside". But after having kids, I learned the merits of bay beaches. So far, we've tried to expose the kids to both. Hubby is a Long Islander, so I had to learn the difference of ocean beach (aka south shore) and sound beach (aka north shore). Boy, did I think I knew it all from living in Va Beach so long!

Yeah, I heard about the warming trend! Perhaps we locals should pack a picnic and meet at the beach for lunch! Or am I pushing it???? Personally, I prefer the off season for beach walking, etc... but that's just me. Roll up the pants legs, and get your feet wet!

Mary

Old 03-02-2008, 06:39 AM

6 posts, read 35,374 times
If you decide to come down and visit, I can get you a discount at a local hotel in rehoboth right on Hwy. 1 by the outlets, just pm me if your interested. thought i'd let you know

Old 03-03-2008, 09:01 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,646,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachanyone View Post
Thanks so much for the info. Still the sound of the beach being an hour away is not at all the picture I was painting in my mind!!!! There goes my morning walks on the beach daydream. lol
Tabitha
Well Cape henleopen in only an hour away and a really nice beach.

Bowers beach is 10 mins away.

I also live in magnolia.

with being retired, I don't mind a half hour drive to do my favorite thing.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:04 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,646,113 times
Oh and the few times I visited bowers beach, I was not impressed. Maybe it is me but I found it disgusting.
Horseshoe crabs all over the place and debris.

I visited 3x's so maybe this is not a fair anaylsis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware