U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 08:42 PM

4,628 posts, read 5,978,327 times

Advertisements

Thank you, Laurel. Different terminology, but the description you provided sounds like our Delaware Planned Unit Developments, PUDs, and most developments here are considered PUDs. They have open space, walking trails, storm water drainage ponds, and Homeowner Association fees. The Middletown area has many of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 04:12 PM

405 posts, read 956,157 times
I found some more terminology Middletown could be a subdivision. see below

Subdivisions will be surrounded with general shopping, strip and/or commercial centers, but these local amenities are not part of the over-all original plan for the subdivision. Builders will build and hope/assume that retail and commercial development will follow. In a Master-Planned Community all these amenities are planned and included in the initial stages by the city and developers before shovel one is turned over in the development.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:14 PM

I'm coming there March 1st so I get to see it first hand myself, I'm so excited. Hubby was there a year ago this month. Has a lot changed a year ago? More houses? Downtown revamped?

Old 02-10-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laural View Post
I found some more terminology Middletown could be a subdivision. see below
No Laural. Middletown is a Town/City, not a subdivision. There are subdivisions within the Town of Middletown, and also subdivisions outside the town limits of Middletown, but with a Middletown address. Some of those subdivisions within the Town of Middletown, which are PUDs, are: Middletown Village, Greenlawn, and Tartan Court, but there are many others. The first two include townhouses, single family detached homes, twins, open space, and Middletown Village has some commercial improvements. I believe Greenlawn has a strip shopping center, also. Middletown is a very fast growing area, and compared to 5 years ago, is now a metropolis to us!

The Middletown downtown area has not changed much within the last 50 years. The town has two main streets, Broad Street and Main Street, which is Route 299. Route 299 leads to Rt. 300, and that's where Middletown Village is located. The town consists of mostly older, stately homes, in pretty good condition, and there is little downtown shopping available, which is the case in most older towns these days. Shopping Centers along the fringes of the towns are the places to go. Of course, there's the old Everett Theater that has specialty type events, the town tavern, a pizza shop, and as you travel north and east of the town, more activity, like banks, schools, restaurants, churches, etc. Just to give you an idea of a PUD in Middletown, I've provided this link to Middletown Village. Hope this helps. Middletown Village Civic Association Now, this is a Civic Association website, which is a voluntary membership. There is also a Planned Unit Development fee in Middletown Village, which is mandatory. On that web site they call it a "Maintenance Corporation", but it is a PUD. Other subdivision, inside the town limits and outside the town limits are similar in the way they are set up.
Delly

Last edited by rdlr; 02-10-2008 at 04:48 PM..

Old 02-10-2008, 10:07 PM

well it looks like the brain was not working well yesterday, I'm trying to get over a bad case of bronchitas, I have 2 weeks and 2 days before close of escrow and not a lot of stuff packed and I'm on a ton of meds.

Ok lets see if I can try to get out clear thoughts today. Yup I knew Middletown was a city not a subdivision. Damn meds.

I looked up the definition of PUD so I'm clear on that. It's hard to find a def. on Master planned community. Sorry if I get to into this, if I find something facinating I tend to research it to death (say's hubby )

A Planned Unit Development, or PUD, is both a type of building development as well as a regulatory process. A PUD is a designed grouping of varied and compatible land uses, such as housing, recreation, commercial centers, and industrial parks, all within one contained development or subdivision.

Master Planned Community - shopping, strip malls, commercial center, local amentities, are planned and included in the initial stages by the city and developers before shovel one is turned over in the development. Extensive recreational amenities like lakes, golf courses, and expansive parks with bike paths, and jogging trails. Alternatively, the typical subdivision may have an occasional smaller park or recreation area, and the size of the local neighborhood will be much smaller than found in a Master-Planned Community.

Master–planned communities offer superb amenities and quality infrastructure such as neighborhood parks and schools, new roads, nearby shopping and dining, community services and neighbors that feel connected to one another. The newest trend in planned communities is ‘New Urbanism’ which features neighborhoods designed to encourage walking and which contain a diverse and balanced selection of housing and employment opportunities. Within a planned community there are often smaller communities offering a variety of home styles and price levels to choose from. An increasing number of planned developments incorporate a mix of single family homes, villas, apartments and town homes.

Lifestyle features such as golf courses, tennis courts, bike and walking trails are integrated with a wide range of home choices in master–planned communities. These carefully conceived communities are designed around the best use of the land’s contours and natural features, maximum access to views, compatibility of architectural design and styles, attention to personal safety and the ability of resident to move easily within the neighborhood. Master–planned developments typically provide comprehensive recreational opportunities into the final community design including community parks, playgrounds, clubhouses, swimming facilities and other highly desirable amenities.

One of the most important reasons for choosing to buy a home in a master–planned community is property value protection. The community’s architectural guidelines, amenity planning, and common area maintenance in conjunction with the property owners association can significantly affect property values and quality of life for residents.

Another benefit to planned communities is the focus on environment consciousness and preservation of the property’s native land. Home owners today appreciate environmental stewardship and recognize the value of a community that incorporates a thoughtful environmental approach in its planning and execution.

Increasingly popular, master–planned communities are ideal for those who enjoy the active lifestyle while remaining close to home.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:41 PM

Yikes I see my post down below I think I got a little carried away.

I saw new pictures of Main st. in the Middletownian it looked like they were making some progress, new store fronts, a new brick walkway, new benches. It looked like a nice quaint town. My hubby did warn me that if I blink I'll miss it. So I'm not getting my hopes up, but I'm looking for small, less people, less traffic.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laural View Post
Yikes I see my post down below I think I got a little carried away.

I saw new pictures of Main st. in the Middletownian it looked like they were making some progress, new store fronts, a new brick walkway, new benches. It looked like a nice quaint town. My hubby did warn me that if I blink I'll miss it. So I'm not getting my hopes up, but I'm looking for small, less people, less traffic.
I think it's all relevant, Laural......the traffic I mean. I go through Middletown about twice a week, and try to time it so I'm not in heavy traffic, which is becoming more difficult to avoid. It's not quiet like it was, nor quaint (in my opinion) but you may think so in comparison to where you're coming from. There's a stretch on Broad Street for about 3 blocks of stately older homes, but they are gradually being rezoned and converted to businesses. Middletown was discovered about 8-10 years ago by Wilmington, DE and out of state transplants, and there has been a HUGE building boom, including housing development, strip centers, etc. I went to Church there when I was a little girl, and it no way resembles how beautiful it was. But then, nothing's the same, and there are traffic snarls almost everywhere. South of Middletown is where it's more quiet, but the congestion is working it's way down state, also. I try to avoid Middletown, but lots of times I can't because of my work which involves travel throughout the state. But as I said before, it's all relevant.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:33 PM

Delly I think if you see what I'm dealing with here I think you will understand what I mean about traffic and why I think it might be quaint there. In fact that's what I'm gonna do, I will take pictures, just so when I do get homesick (I will, I always do when I move) it will remind me what hell I was leaving, and if your interested I'll send you some pics too, and some of the prettier stuff. I will miss how green everything is, the palm trees and the flowers, the ocean, but hey you got one to right.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:55 PM

902 posts, read 2,506,129 times
Laural & Delly,

I'm catching up on reading, as I'm having computer issues again. What an enlightening conversation you two have had!

As I believe I posted before, way back when hubby and I bought our first house in a PUD community in Va Beach. As far as I recall, the particular community was the first of its kind in Va Beach. That was back in 1986, and the PUD was already about 12 years old.

I will say, from that experience, and a knowledge base that has grown 20+ years, hubby and I would prefer not to live in another PUD... here in DE or elsewhere. It is just not who we are. Now a PUD is perfect for some people, and situations, and I am glad for those who prefer the structure.

Delly makes some very good points about the development of Middletown and points north... I have not had too many occasions to be in Middletown, but the clustered growth is evident. As Delly mentioned though, that has not just been going on in Middletown; it seems to be prevalent from Wilmington south to the Kent County line, and from the beach (south) slowly inland towards Rt 13.

I am not sure where I am going with this, other than to express my POV and give another 2 cents worth. Oh yeah, Laural, you have to get up with us for lunch while you are in town... just leave the bronchitis out west!

Mary

Old 02-11-2008, 05:58 PM

Hi Mary........how's it goin'????

Laural.......Sounds like you're ready to move, pronto! Middletown may be "solitude" for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware