U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 05:29 PM

5 posts, read 6,134 times

Advertisements

I'm a 61 year-old artist and am deciding whether to stay where I am ($600/mo mtg and escrow, rural, a little too far from St Louis to be convenient, no college in the area, conservative, very safe, lovely SF historic house)
It's time to refi my ARM and I do t want to do that if I intend to move again. When I moved here, I had a list of requirements and the only one I missed was "within 2 hours of the ocean". So, Delaware has that box checked. Delaware tax rates much better. My other wants/needs include an arts community, more liberal leaning than here, safe because I live alone, an educated population and a home I can afford. I don't mind driving, but I don't want to every day and I'd like a national chain grocery within 10 miles. Can you guess what my current frustrations are? Oh, and I'd like an Episcopal Church nearby.

Please make suggestions, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 08:30 PM

3,471 posts, read 17,279,846 times
Rehoboth Beach area. Not necessarily the beach town itself. Let's say Sussex County.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:48 PM

Thanks, Shane, I have LOTS of childhood memories of that area, but can I find affordable housing?

Old 08-30-2015, 11:54 PM

996 posts, read 863,490 times
You haven't said what you consider affordable.

Sussex County is generally more conservative than the counties to the north.

The Rehoboth Art League is a gem. Year-round programs and classes. Plus some very good galleries in the area.

Life Long Learning Institute in Lewes, about 15 minutes north, has wonderful programs: Lewes - Osher Lifelong Learning Institute

Both Lewes and Rehoboth have a wide range of housing options and prices. In both cases, the ZIP code is huge -- you do not necessarily have to live within the city limits, which tend to have the more expensive properties.

You'll see the term, "east of Route 1" or "west of Route 1." In Sussex County, properties west of Route 1 (also known as Coastal Highway) will generally be more affordable. Several large chain groceries along the way between Rehoboth Beach and Lewes.

If you're willing to consider two hours away from the beach, just about any part of Delaware is within your target area. Consider Kent County, just an hour away. Search for posts by rdlr, who is a lifetime resident and enthusiast.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:52 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,322,320 times
There is a large arts community also here in northern Delaware (northern New Castle County), especially with many painters. In the overall area, of Episcopal parishes, I'd commend Immanuel-on-the-Green in the historic, old section of New Castle (nb: the name of a small city in New Castle County), which has excellent liturgy and a very good music program (choir recently returned from England after singing a week's round of Evensong at Winchester Cathedral). Downstate in Sussex County, you have St Peter's in Lewes, which also has some musical ambitions but not so good liturgy, and you have All Saints in Rehoboth, which offers sloppy liturgy and grossly impoverished music.

There's nowhere in Delaware that isn't within two hours of the ocean, although traffic can be a problem in the Summer.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:44 AM

Talking Now We're Talkin!

Pocopsonite, I'm currently paying $600 mtg and escrow, which is a little tight, but do-able.
I see a lot of mobile homes in this range. Coming from tornado country, this concerns me so I'd like to know more about this type of housing. I would prefer a "real" house, but I understand I am prejudiced. AAlso, large HOA fees worry me because, of course, they can always escalate.
doctorjef - FABULOUS info

Thank you both! I feel a little like The robot Five - More input, more input

Old 08-31-2015, 11:35 AM

1,230 posts, read 1,558,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalou View Post
Pocopsonite, I'm currently paying $600 mtg and escrow, which is a little tight, but do-able.
I see a lot of mobile homes in this range. Coming from tornado country, this concerns me so I'd like to know more about this type of housing. I would prefer a "real" house, but I understand I am prejudiced. AAlso, large HOA fees worry me because, of course, they can always escalate.

So, what does a $600 monthly payment equate to as far as the dollar value of the house? 25K, $50K? $100K??? Please clue us in as you have not mentioned your budget for down payment, closing costs etc.

As far as mobile homes go, it is not so much the initial cost of the mobile home, but, the monthly rental cost of the lot on which it is parked. That could be much more than you anticipated. Also, if you plan to live in a mobile home all year round you have to consider the heating and cooling costs which could be quite high.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:16 PM

7,360 posts, read 10,799,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalou View Post

Hi bellalou! That is true. Lot rent can increase at the whim of the owner(s). There are plenty of manufactured homes (they're not called mobile anymore) for sale in Kent and Sussex County. Many enjoy them, as they are very economical to heat and cool. I've seen their electric bills, as I'm in and out of many of them on a daily basis (work related). Many are very nice and they can range in price from $60-$70,000 to $250,000, depending on the area, size, condition, and age. It's preferable to buy one on it's own land. That's called "fee simple interest". If you pay lot rent, that's called "leasehold estate". If the manufactured home does not have a permanent foundation, but is on it's own land, financing will be difficult. You should look for one with a permanent foundation. Manufactured homes are much better built than they used to be. They are inspected by 3rd party companies to assure that the home is wind resistant, and that wiring/plumbing meet a particular criteria. There will be HUD stickers or seals on the corners of the home, if they've been inspected. Most are, only the ones built before 1976 are not. In addition, inside the home, there will be a sticker on the wall (usually in a closet) stating the make, model, serial number and HUD numbers. These homes are anchored and attached to permanent foundations. They are an economical choice, especially if you own your own land. Some of these, I can't tell that they are manufactured homes, unless I inspect the crawl space, and view the steel beam undercarriage. Of course, if it has HUD stickers'/seals, that's more than reliable information to determine the type of construction. Good Luck!

Old 08-31-2015, 02:21 PM

7,360 posts, read 10,799,487 times
bellalou...I'm back!
I had to leave this site (I work in an office and had to put out some fires)
One more thing.....you mentioned homeowners association fees. I equate HOA fees and Condo fees to being almost like ground rent. At some point, HOA fees will go up and you pay those fees a lifetime. By the same token, Condo fees will not stay the same, and you will also pay for them a lifetime. Best buy is....choose a property in fee simple interest, with no HOA fee, or condo fee. That's what we have, and we wouldn't have anything else. We've been in Delaware a lifetime! .... Of course, I always try to end with.....to each his own.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:32 PM

350 posts, read 352,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
You haven't said what you consider affordable.

The Rehoboth Art League is a gem. Year-round programs and classes. Plus some very good galleries in the area.

Life Long Learning Institute in Lewes, about 15 minutes north, has wonderful programs: Lewes - Osher Lifelong Learning Institute
Thanks for posting, I hadn't seen these before! Look like excellent resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware