Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2015, 04:18 PM

34 posts, read 53,939 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Lewes area within the next year and are looking for a good lender to purchase our new house. Can anyone recommend one? Or who to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 09:02 PM

27 posts, read 35,752 times
I'm in the process of buying new construction in lewes. We are using county bank. They are good and know how to handle not so straight forward situations

Old 09-26-2015, 10:36 PM

Thanks for the reply. Did your builder offer any incentives to go with their bank?

Old 09-28-2015, 01:23 PM

373 posts, read 514,963 times
We used Wells Fargo Home Mortgage for our home in Lewes, but we picked them because we had two previous home mortgages with them and also do our banking with Wells Fargo. They only have one bank near us (on Route 1), but it is convenient to where we live.

WFHM was fine, but I have no compelling reason to recommend them (or not recommend them) over other mortgage companies. Since the financial mortgage collapse, all lenders have greatly increased lending requirements and I am amazed at how much documentation/paperwork is needed now vs. 15 years ago.

Best of luck to you!

Old 09-28-2015, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the reply and yes we are going thru the process right now, and definitely seems a lot more work on documentation. We are not fans of Wells Fargo - actually prefer, and have used credit unions here in the midwest. Looks like if we go with a new home we are forced to use the builder's lender if we want the incentives.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:33 AM

27 posts, read 35,752 times
You don't have to use their lender, I'm using who I want. I would recommend to us a local lender because they know about the area better and you get more of a personal experience as opposed to the big national banks. If the incentives are great using the builders lender than go with them but I would do it if they were giving you a huge cash back on the mortgage.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:26 AM

373 posts, read 514,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnMan2015 View Post
Thanks for the reply and yes we are going thru the process right now, and definitely seems a lot more work on documentation. We are not fans of Wells Fargo - actually prefer, and have used credit unions here in the midwest. Looks like if we go with a new home we are forced to use the builder's lender if we want the incentives.
That's what we've always found, and often they make the incentives attractive enough to use the builder's lender.

I certainly don't disagree with using local banks as I am a small town guy, but I've never found the service aspect to be very differentiating. Perhaps during the actual closing there is some benefit, but once the deal is done, it's just sending in the check every month. And the actual folks who work in the "national" mortgage companies are locals, too.

Having gone through 5 home purchases in the last 12 years, I will say that the documentation requirements have tripled or quadrupled since the meltdown in 2007 or so. Maybe local banks or credit unions are better with that?

Old 10-17-2015, 09:31 AM

8,594 posts, read 9,092,534 times
I used Caliber Home Loans, and got everything we were looking for. If Caliber didn't work out I was going to use a Credit Union. I had very serious issues a few years ago with Wells Fargo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: